Sign in to follow this  
Yahoshua

Ar-15 to buy

I plan on buying an AR-15 with NMC parts, etc. I was wondering what company was best to buy from, and what not to buy from and the reasons why.

Build one yourself. You can buy a lower for $100 stripped. Then a parts kit for $425. It is very easy. Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, Eagle arms are all good lowers or complete rifles.

Bob

The problem with building one myself is that I don't know the interior design of the AR-15. Does it come with a manual on how to put it together? Also, If I put it together I would still probably need to take it to a gunsmith to have the barrel lapped, and free-floated. I dunno how to do that (good thing that I plan on being a gunsmith for a living).

The problem with building one myself is that I don't know the interior design of the AR-15. Does it come with a manual on how to put it together? Also, If I put it together I would still probably need to take it to a gunsmith to have the barrel lapped, and free-floated. I dunno how to do that (good thing that I plan on being a gunsmith for a living).

94017[/snapback]

Just print yourself out one of these:

https://hosta.atsc.eustis.army.mil/cgi-bin/...ll/A/026397.pdf

This is the Army Technical Manual for an M16/M16A1. The AR-15 and the M-16 are very simular in comparison, and this should help you out.

Note: this manual will give you tips and advise on maintanance, sighting, and cleaning as well as disassembly.

Edited by Riot

Do you have Adobe.pdf? And did you click "yes" about the security certificate validation?

You can buy the barrel fre floated or any configuration, head spaced and all. Just put on the parts. You can also buy a completed lower, and save the other parts from the kit for spares.

Bob

why go and have a smith float it ?

"16", 20" or 24" Varmit Kit Forged flattop, Aluminum free floating tube, Stainless steel 1 in 8 twist varmit barrel, Picatinny gas block, A2 trapdoor stock $525"

there are web sights that tell you how to assemble a kit. the hardest part i foung puting mine togethrt was the frount take down pin, every thing els went together easly.

same place also selle a manual for the AR15/M16

HERE

Edited by emclean

The AR-15 series of rifles is one of the easiest rifle kits to build. You don't really need much in the way of special tools. There are instructions available online as well.

I am assuming here that you are building from a kit with a barreled upper with matching bolt.

There are often some minor hang-ups on the kit rifles. But with a little time a patience they can be overcome. I feel emclean's pain on the front take down pin. It happens.

You can get a quality rifle for under $600, and have the experience and knowledge from the assembly process. This helps in the years following of cleaning, maintaning, and possibly upgrading your rifle.

The M&A parts link is a good company.

-Thed

also they are out of Il, and any gun dealer working out of that state needs all the support it can get (also with me in indiana, i got my order 2nd day)

i love my AR built fromthere kit

Do they only have aluminum barrels? Cuz I would prefer stainless steel. Also, would they be able to send me a barrel thats already crowned and lapped? Or would I have to go to a smith on that? I see that the M&A page ships DPMS rifles, any particulars with that company?

Model "1" Sales will upgrade any basic kit to a stainless barrel for an extra $35. Not sure on the M&A kits.

-Thed

M-16/AR-15s are what you would call "army proof". ie: they're easy to fit together once you understand the concept of how the parts work. kinda like a pencil sharpener or a toaster

and that is why we (army) thought that the AF could handle them (with adalt supervision)

and that is why we (army) thought that the AF could handle them (with adalt supervision)

94354[/snapback]

That's funny in more ways than one...

:rofl:

I plan on buying an AR-15 with NMC parts, etc. I was wondering what company was best to buy from, and what not to buy from and the reasons why.

93585[/snapback]

My vote is for DPMS for your parts or services needs. I have found their customer service to be excellent and their price to be in-line with the others.

So far... Every time I have dealt with them they allways gave me more than promised. (and No, I don't work there...)

Good luck with your project! ok>

My vote is for DPMS for your parts or services needs.  I have found their customer service to be excellent and their price to be in-line with the others.

So far... Every time I have dealt with them they allways gave me more than promised.    (and No, I don't work there...)

Good luck with your project!  ok>

94488[/snapback]