Sign in to follow this  
Guest yonderway

Savage or Remington?

You have $500 to spend on a bolt action gun and some ammo. You alread have some nice optics to put on it. Which do you pick and why?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. You have $500 to spend on a bolt action gun and some ammo. You alread have some nice optics to put on it. Which do you pick and why?

• Savage
    • Remington

Guest yonderway

I was going to build a 6.8mm SPC AR15 but upon reflection have decided to wait and see if the military adopts it or not first. So the next item on my wishlist, which I have budget for in the next few weeks, is a long range bolt action rifle. Will be used primarily at the range (up to 1000M potentially, but more likely 300-500M most of the time) and periodically for hunting big game (hogs/boar, deer, black bear).

Savage & Remington have some compelling offerings in the $500 price range. What would you choose and why?

And as an optional extra credit question, which cartridge do you prefer for long range sharpshooting (should be one with lethal power & accuracy at long range)?

i voted for a remington for anumber of reasons.

• 1. quality has never been a question in any remington products i've purchased. all have been reliable and darn sturdy.
    2. they are chambered in oogles of calibers
    3. they are like ford mustangs, there are tons of aftermarket mods
    4. 700's are built upon one of the best actions IMO
    5. america's oldest gunmaker, need i say more? ok>

I can't dissagree with you RKBA, but in my experience the Savage is the better rifle out of the box. 1/2 MOA to be exact. Also with the accutrigger, albiet not the best trigger job, it's damn good for "stock. As for add-ons, what do you need? Almost all new stocks are made for the Savage as well, except for the AI ACIS system but thats about $750 out of most peoples price range.

On to the Savage, I have the unique opportunity here as I have in possesion both the 700 and the 110FP in .300 Win Mag. IMHO, the 110FP is sturdier, better quality and better priced. As for accuracy, my 110FP is as accurate if not more accurate than my friends works 700.

Of course, your mileage my vary.

Edited by Rooster

SAVAGE

a $500 savage will be a lot better than a $500 remington, and, with all the "accounts" i've heard, savage seems far superior to remington

now rooster is the 700 u have the P? the 700P i feel is at a higher grade rifle then the savage, due to a couple of reasons. the savage comes with an average synthetic stock found on most hunting rifles that will need to be replaced. the remington comes with a HS Precision stock which retails for $300, and IMO is sufficient for most people and can be left alone. the 700 has a longer barrel for the bigger calibers allowing full burn of powder, albeit 2 more inches is all but that could be the difference in a hit or miss. the 700 is also a heavier rifle, something i think is important in a tactical rifle, especially in the bigger calibers. i've held a 110fp and did not like the action of the bolt, the one i tried seemed to bind and was not a fluid motion. it did not have the accutrigger so i can't comment on that. i do know that remington triggers are tuneable, not advisable from the factory but many publications are out that show how to bring down the trigger pull. remingtons do have a poor trigger and it does need work. a shilen wouldn't hurt. as for mods? any rifle you get could benefit from a badger handle and new lugs, a good aftermarket trigger and a glass bedding. for the big calibers a muzzle brake makes shooting it more bearable in the longer sessions and the list goes on.

but that's my .02, and only that.

btw, i've got a buddy that has an out of the box 700P in .308 that prints a consistant .375" group.

and my 700P in 300WM just came in, won't get it to the range for a couple of weeks as the next couple weekends are already filled with stuff to do.

I voted for the Remington mainly do to the abundant aftermarket triggers, stocks, barrels, etc. available for it.

I know you only asked about Savage and Remington but have you shot a CZ550? I just put 5 shots in a quarter size area at 100 yards last week from a bipod. I had a flier that landed low and right but it was my fault. After 5 shots the recoil from the 7mm Mag made me flinch. I just started shooting this last January and I'm still trying to stop the occasional flinch.

The most useful thing about the CZ for me is that it comes with a set trigger. This makes it unnecessary to get an aftermarket trigger or trigger job. It drops the trigger pull to about 1#.

My caliber of choice is 7mm Mag. Less bullet drop than a .308 and more ooomph at distance but not as much recoil as some larger magnums. I think it is a good compromise between power and pain.

BTW, price for my CZ550 in 7mm Mag was just over $500.

Chris

Not sure if its a P model. I'll look though. I do know its an older "work" rifle.

BTW, here's a pic of them today...

Aren't they sexy..?

post-3037-1093489695_thumb.jpg

Guest yonderway

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'm going to a big gun shop today during my lunch break with an ex army sniper (my advisor on this subject heheheh). He's naturally predisposed to the Remington 700 (since it is the basis for his service rifle that kept him alive and many opponents dead) but we're going to look at the Savage 10FP and the Remington 700 VS. The MSRP shows the Savage as much less expensive and a half a pound lighter but the Remington does have a huge aftermarket.

Will be making my purchase in a few weeks.

Aren't they sexy..?

93602[/snapback]

yes, yes they are.

i don't think it's gonna say on the barrel but i'm gonna guess that it is. the only firearms that Remington makes with heavy match barrels are the VS, 40X-B, and P models and the VS & 40X-B models only come in .308 or smaller.

btw, get a chrony on the sabots yer running. B{

Guest yonderway

OK I just got back from French Creek Outfitters with the Sarge.

Remington 700 VS is damn sexy but damn expensive. Too far above my budget.

Savage 10FP-LE1 is dead on what I expected to pay for a decent rifle. $499. It's also .75lbs lighter than the Remington.

I also got to hold a Makarov and realized my hands were way too big for such a small grip. So I'm not getting the Makarov.

EDIT: OK I should have mentioned a bit more. Had the sarge look at both guns. He was already intimately familiar with the Remington and walked in pre-disposed to recommending that I buy that. We didn't get to shoot them, but just from looking it over he was impressed with the quality of the Savage especially considering the price difference between the two.

Edited by yonderway

well i'm going assume your looking mostly in the .308W caliber since you mentioned taking deer and black bear and doing longer range comps.

but once again though your not comparing apples to apples, bud. the savage is their law enforcement model, where as the VS is the varmint. compare the savage to remington's law models, the remington is the value buy. it goes back to stocks and bbl length. the remington has a longer 26" bbl whereas the savage has a 20". the remington comes with a HS precision stock, a $300 upgrade for the savage. the remington can be bought new for $720 the savage for $500, but if you add in the same quality stock it's now $800. if you really like the 20" bbl look at remingtons 700P LTR, it's cut down to a 20" plus fluted and total gun weight is down to 7.5 lbs with a HS Precision stock. i'm not trying to throw a plug for remington, just level the comparison field. if

Guest yonderway
but once again though your not comparing apples to apples, bud. the savage is their law enforcement model, where as the VS is the varmint.

I didn't even see LE models on Remington's web site. VS was the closest I found to what I was after.

compare the savage to remington's law models, the remington is the value buy. it goes back to stocks and bbl length. the remington has a longer 26" bbl whereas the savage has a 20".

The 10FP-LE1 has a 20" barrel. For $5 more I can have the 26" barrel in a 10FP-LE2. I hadn't noticed that option before posting to this thread. So I'm instead looking at the 10FP-LE2 now.

the remington comes with a HS precision stock, a $300 upgrade for the savage. the remington can be bought new for $720 the savage for $500, but if you add in the same quality stock it's now $800.

I don't want the HS stock. I will get the stock I want next year. The stock that comes with the gun will be good enough for now.

Besides, I have $500 for a gun now. I don't have $800. And wouldn't spend $800 to get a stock that I'm discarding anyway.

if you really like the 20" bbl look at remingtons 700P LTR, it's cut down to a 20" plus fluted and total gun weight is down to 7.5 lbs with a HS Precision stock. i'm not trying to throw a plug for remington, just level the comparison field. if

93754[/snapback]

I wasn't sold on 20". Just thought that was the best they had. I showed the 26" model to the sarge and he said GET IT. :)

I'm not swimming in money. I had to save $$ for a rifle, thinking $500 would get me something decent. The board here is almost evenly split between Savage & Remington with Remington getting a slight lead. I'm pretty well convinced that both of them are probably very good rifles. Is the Remington $150-$200 better? Maybe, maybe not. I've got a guy who taught US Army Rangers at sniper school and has a number of long range confirmed combat kills of his own advising me that the Savage will be a hell of a sniper gun. That sort of endorsement gives me enough confidence to think that I should be pretty happy with the 10FP-LE2, even if it is not the very best.

www.remingtonle.com ok> i'm not going against your friends recomendations, i'm curious as to what he'd say about the 700P.

Guest yonderway

He has a Remington 700 based sniper rifle and shoots competetively at 1KM with it. He speaks highly of the platform. If I were made of money I'm sure I'd probably get it myself.

I'll post some targets after I get it and it is sighted in. Will get the sarge to bring his Remington and shoot both. I fully expect his highly optimized rifle to wipe the floor with my out of the box $500 savage. But I'll have a superior marksman shooting both so we should hopefully push the limits of the two guns.

yes at the very least he'll be able to push the rifle farther then you or i could in terms of shooter capabilities. ok> can't wait for the review!

Guest yonderway

By the way... 14 votes so far, 7 for the Savage and 7 for the Remington. Wow!

Almost wish I had access to an out-of-the-box Remington 700 with the same optics mounted and the same great shooter and the same ammo. Would be a very cool comparison. Any gun shop owners in the greater Philadelphia area want to help? :-D

I plan on buying a Remington 710 in 30-06 for my birthday. I went to walmart and handled the gun and looked it up and down and I like it a lot.

I would prefer for a rifle to have controlled feed, does the remington 710 have that?

93943[/snapback]

No the Remington does not have controlled feed. That being said, I have a 710 in 30-06 and I like it alot. I don't put much stock in those that claim it's a bad gun because it isn't a 700 and is made differently. If you like the 710 get it. You won't regret it.

I believe the Winchester and Ruger are controlled feed mauser actions as is my CZ550. I haven't shot the Winchester or Ruger but I wouldn't trade my CZ for anything short of a full on custom rifle.

Chris

No the Remington does not have controlled feed. That being said, I have a 710 in 30-06 and I like it alot. I don't put much stock in those that claim it's a bad gun because it isn't a 700 and is made differently. If you like the 710 get it. You won't regret it.

Chris

94085[/snapback]

How much do the magazines cost for the remy 710?

How much do the magazines cost for the remy 710?

94150[/snapback]

I believe I paid $14 each on Gunbroker for the additional magazines.

Chris