Sign in to follow this  
grhmanyak

"new" Ar Quality Questions Etc

I recently bought an Olympic Arms AR-15 and have a few questions about it.

First, what is the quality of Olympic Arms ARs and how do they compare with other ARs such as Bushmaster, Armalite, etc.

Second, how can I tell who manufactured my upper? There are no barrel stampings as far as I can see. I have taken off the handguard and cleaned off the front of the barrel. Still no markings. It is an A2 upper, and near the back of the handguard there is a little symbol that looks somewhat like the letter A. Don't know if this means anything.

Third, how should I go about cleaning the gun. Never cleaned an AR before and the upper looks pretty dirty.

Also, since the gun is chambered for 5.56mm, and the .223 round is a little bit smaller, do I lose any preformance in the shooting capability of the gun, and if so, how would it compare to another rifle, say between my AR and a Mini-14? Also, what is the max effective range of a .223?

I think your AR is good, far better than a mini 14. As for range, about 300 to 350 yards if the wind is not blowing. At Ft. Benning we never used them past 300 in the counter sniper school.. U>

your gun is good. just make sure u clean it after each outing. ar is best semi auto for range use. it doesn't like rough enviroment cuz it is built for upper class shooter.

ak47 is real working man gun.

I think the quality goes: Colt, Bushmaster, Olympic. Not sure where Armalite fits in though. They should be one of the better quality ones considering they invented the gun. I think they'll either be between colt and bushmaster or at the top of the list.

I don't think anyone puts markings on the upper recievers so you have to go by the quality. If the finish matches the lower, then it's probably olympic instead of a parts gun.

To clean: push out the pin at the rear of the reciever and hinge it open. pull out the bolt carrier and charging handle assembly.

If you want to take apart the carrier any further, push out the rollpin in the side and shake out the firing pin. Then rotate the cam pin 90 degrees and pull it out with your fingers. Then pull the bolt and carrier apart. (when you put it back together make sure the gas rings on the bolt aren't in line. Make sure none of the gaps line up, much like piston rings on an engine.

Then just brush and swab the bore; wipe the reciever clean and add some light lubricant; clean and reassemble the bolt/carrier and reinsert into reciever.

You can get the official military operating manual at http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals