Sign in to follow this  
SilentScope

M4 And M16 Differences?

Barrel, the M4 has a 14”, M16 has a 20”

Stock, M4 4 position collapsible, M16 fixed, with compartment for cleaning kit

Carry handle, M4 has a removable, to expose the mounting rail, M16 is just there.

M16A1- Single/Full auto.

M16A2- Single/3rd burst.

M16A3- Single/Full auto.

M16A4- Single/3rd burst.

M4A1- Single/Full auto.

The main differnce between these guns is length and weight. The M16's overall lenght is around 40 inches while the M4's is around 30.

(Sidebar: Just for those who do not know, the M4A1 is NOT the Model 4 Advanced 1. It is refered to as the M4A1 which is just a military code they give to the gun. M4A1 means nothing.) ok>

M-16A1 - 20" barrel; semi-/full-; triangle foregrip

M-16A2 - 20" barrel; semi-/three round burst; circular foregrip

M-16A3 - 20" barrel; semi-/three round burst; detatchable carry handle

M-16A4 - 20" barrel; semi-/three round burst; "picatinny" rails on the foregrip & upper reciever

M-4 - 16" barrel; semi-/three round burst; collapsable stock

M-4A1 - 16" barrel; semi-/full; collapsable stock

Car-15/Colt Commando/XM177 - 11.5" barrel; semi-/full-; collapsable stock

All are 5.56x45mm (.223 remmington), gas operated, rotating bolt.

:c)l:

M16A1- Single/Full auto.

M16A2- Single/3rd burst.

M16A3- Single/Full auto.

M16A4- Single/3rd burst.

M4A1- Single/Full auto.

The main differnce between these guns is length and weight. The M16's overall lenght is around 40 inches while the M4's is around 30.

(Sidebar: Just for those who do not know, the M4A1 is NOT the Model 4 Advanced 1. It is refered to as the M4A1 which is just a military code they give to the gun. M4A1 means nothing.) ok>

acording to the Army National Guard, they use the M-16-A2, and it is semi, and full auto. 800 rnds per min.

The M-16 is the main weapon of the Army National Guard soldier. It is a gas-operated rifle that shoots in both automatic and semi-automatic modes.

In automatic mode, it can fire up to 800 rounds per minute. The M-16 and its ammunition are lighter; a soldier can carry more rounds into battle and increase his chances of survival.

m16.jpg:c)l:

Edited by FULL_AUTO_990

FA, sorry but the M16 A2 is not full auto, it is 3 round only. the M249 is the weapon of the automatic riflemen in todays army.

The M4 is a full auto carbine version of the M16A2. It is generally only issued to special ops soldiers.

The M4 is a full auto carbine version of the M16A2. It is generally only issued to special ops soldiers.

actually i've noticed quite a variety of gate guards, MPs, etc.. with M4s other than your run of the mill special ops

Some M116A2's are 3 rnd burst and some are FA. I have shot one that has a selector that says 'BURST'. But it is FA unmodified from Colt.

Edited by CC_Ryder

I've seen pictures of a 4 position m16. It had written on the reciever safe, semi, burst, full. A1 if I remember correctly but I could be wrong as I often am.

This one has only 3 positions: Safe, Semi or single, and Burst. Trigger group has NO burst mechanism, only FA. Not DIAS, etc. I cant remember exactly whether it says Semi or Single.

When I first saw it I assumed it was a 3 rnd burst but it isn't.