Sign in to follow this  
ucfcpe

Which Maker Do You Recommend?

Hey folks, heres my dilema. I'm looking at purchasing an AR-15 rifle, but I'm not sure which maker to get, I"ve looked at Colt, Bushmaster and Olympic Arms. Out of these 3 which would you all recommend? Price is not a problem. Any pros/cons of each would be appreciated!

Thanks

all three are great firearms.....personally i think colt is overpriced for what you get bushys are nice and priced right i have an oly and HATE it look at D.P.M.S. they are priced way low and the quality is awesome i have one and close to 10,000 rounds thru it and not one jam fail to feed or problem of any kind.

You could go the kit route with model1sales and buy a Rock River Arms lower off of gunbroker like I did. Ended up with an excellent rifle. Will take a little assembly work on your part.

Or you could just buy the whole rifle off of gunbroker.

If you just go to a dealer...and buy a colt or bushie in exactly what you want...odds are you will overpay. I recommend atleast checking out gunbroker to get some idea of prices.

Either way just find a local FFL in your area to do the transfer...and your set!

Edited by warlock

I'll second Warlocks vote on building a Generic Kit from Model "1" Sales or M&A. Its not that hard, you save some money which can be used for high quality mags and ammo.

Not to mention you have the experience of building one yourself, so troubleshooting any problems or making upgrades is alot less intimidating.

-Thed

Ill mention J&T distributing kits also. That's what I used and couldn't be happier. They have chrome lined barrels now which I kind of wish were availble when I built mine. Building is really easy and took me about 30 minutes and I had never attempted it before. All you need is the stripped lower reciever and the kit comes with everything else. The upper is already assembled and headspaced, so you just need to put a few parts into the lower and you are done.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Here are the instructions to put the parts into the lower. As you can see it is a very simple and painless process.

If price is not an issue then I would definetly go for Les Baer custom gun works. They make the best AR. Runs around $3,000.

make your first one, there is a certon pride in saying "it is a rock rivers lower (or whaterer you get) but the kit is from..."

i love doing it.

With what I have learned since I became the proud new father of a Bushmaster A3-AK, is I would buy the flat top modular Bushmaster, with a floated barrel, BUIS, and what ever holo sight or Aimpoint you like, BTW, get the sight that uses AA batteries.

HAve Fun,

Sat_Cong

make your first one, there is a certon pride in saying "it is a rock rivers lower (or whaterer you get) but the kit is from..."

i love doing it.

I would agree with you Emclean.

On a side note, This past weekend I was able to get (2) Rock River Arms lowers with sequential serial numbers for $190+tax. I thought I did pretty good.

So there are two more AR builds on the horizon now. I am not sure whose kits I am going to use, but I am leaning towards Model"1"Sales. The trouble is I am unsure what I am going to build on them.

I was thinking about buying a CAR-16 A3 flattop with a stainless barrel, M4 stock set in Green. It would look rather funky. I was thinking about going with the 2x aimpoint on it. The thing is I want Pre-ban components... I may just wait or buy the kit and mothball it in a different county than the receiver until the "AW" ban possibly expires. Not sure.

The other is going to be a "standard" rifle with either a 24" stainless barrel (if I go post ban) or a regular 20" A2 kit with chrome lined barrel. Either way I would go with the National Match sights upgrade.

-Thed

I own 3 bushy's and am very pleased with each. I cannot compare to the others mentioned here as I have no exp. with them.

I was thinking about buying a CAR-16 A3 flattop with a stainless barrel, M4 stock set in Green. It would look rather funky. I was thinking about going with the 2x aimpoint on it. The thing is I want Pre-ban components... I may just wait or buy the kit and mothball it in a different county than the receiver until the "AW" ban possibly expires. Not sure.

what about a pink stock set? it would look cute. :D

I just bought a used pre-ban Colt HM numbered AR-15 Sporter. Gun looks absolutely new. VERY little grime, like none. No brass marks on the bolt face, bolt carrier looks absolutely new. No scratches whatsoever.

Paid $1300; how'd I do?

I like Bushmasters, and probably would have bought one if one had been on the rack. But I paid the extra to get a Colt.

Is one brand of AR-15 really better than anyother?

I just bought a used pre-ban Colt HM numbered AR-15 Sporter.  Gun looks absolutely new.  VERY little grime, like none.  No brass marks on the bolt face, bolt carrier looks absolutely new.  No scratches whatsoever.

Paid $1300; how'd I do?

I like Bushmasters, and probably would have bought one if one had been on the rack.  But I paid the extra to get a Colt.

Is one brand of AR-15 really better than anyother?

That's a pretty average price. I hope you enjoy it. They will not be making any more pre ban Sporter rifles!