Sign in to follow this  
JoeyP

New Guy Here Wanting To Build An Ar-15, In 7.62x3

Here's the deal at a local gun shop they have a complete Bushmaster lower receiver assy for 275.00. The thing is I want it to shoot 7.62x39 rounds so I could actually use it to hunt. Model1sales has complete upper receivers for the 7.62x39. will this work with the Bushmaster lower? And who sells magazines for a 7.62x39 for an ar-15? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JoeyP

Both DPMS and Olympic Arms sell complete uppers for the AR15 in

7.62x39. As far as magazines for the cartridge, DPMS (again) sells

10 round magazines that will function-see further down for more on

this.

The DPMS upper and magazines can be found at Midway USA, also

look at DEL-TON as they also sell the magazines and DPMS and

Olympic Arms uppers, barrels, etc.

f you want some of the original Colt AR15 5 round magazines for the

7.62x39 there are some out there, but can be costly. Don't bother

with any of the USA, Meggar, or other brands of after market magazines

as you will be disappointed as they are all trash, functioning wise that is.

I have 3 AR15's parked in the gunvault/reloading room in the 7.62x39

cartridge. all are Bushmaster lowers. 1 has the Olympic arms 16" barrel,

another with the 20", and last but not least a DPMS 20" barrel.

You may find as I have, that out of 10 of the DPMS magazines, 7 work

flawlessly, the other 3 (which I have marked just so I know) had to be

tinkered on to function 100%.

As an aside I had a Colt decades ago and have 5 of the original

magazines left, but the rifle was given to a nephew for (just as you

indicate in the thread that you intend to use the rifle for) a deer rifle.

I handload for the 7.62x39, but have most recently found that Barnaul

125 soft points will group under 1 moa and I don't have to scrounge

around after the brass (I don't really anyway as I use a brass catcher

when I shoot the AR's).

Art

..keep your powder dry!..

Edited by S/S74

JoeyP

Still looking for an upper in 7.62x39? Midway USA has them on sale until the

end of April.

Oh, and Admin, yes we have some of those in the gun vault also. an 18''er and

24"er. The 18 went with us, for a week, during last years deer season.

Art

..keep your powder dry!

No, Im not looking for a lower reciever any more. I bought a DPMS forged 5.56mm bare lower and am going to build it for 6.8mm so I can use it for hunting.

I've had an interest in buying, or poss. building an AR in 7.62x39mm. It's encouraging to see that you're getting sub moa accuracy with that round. Can you tell me what the twist rate is on that rifle barrel ? I would like to use an upper with a chrome lined chamber/barrel, maybe in 18, or 20inch. Trying to stay clear of the M4 barrels, do to the short site radius. I'm thinking the crome lining would increase reliability. Also hoping to use a threaded barrel so i can install a flash hidder after the ban expires. Any input would be much apreciated. I have very limited experience with this breed. Can use all the help I can get. :unsure: Thanks in advanced :D

binford, All of the uppers I have in 7.62x39 have .310" chambers and a twist

rate of 1 in 10". The Olympic arms barrel is Stainless Steel, all of the DPMS

barrels are Chrome Moly. I can't remember what the twist or chamber was on

the Colt, or what type of steel the barrel was made of.

IMHO, don't be overly concerned about the chamber or barrel being chrome

lined. You can find those on both sides of that argument.

Hope this assists you in your most recent prioject.

Art

..keep yor powder dry!

Oh, as an aside for JoeyP, Barrett is building the model M486, chambered in the

Remington 6.8 spc which fits the AR15 style lower receiver. They have indicated

that complete rifles and uppers should be shipping around May-June to their

distributor RSR. Have your local dealer contact them as they do not sell direct

to the consumer.

Art

Edited by S/S74

JoeyP, You are correct about the Barrett uppers in 6.8 spc. If you are not

willing to ante' up $1495 (msrp) for their upper. Have you given any consideration

for possibly looking over at Olympic Arms? They have an upper chambered

in the brand new .243 WSSM for less than $700 delivered.

I got one a few months ago, and it is a hoot! Using H414, Hornady 95 grain SST

bullets and Winchester brass, the "worst" group I have made was .75 moa @ 100

yards.

It is more than a match for the deer we have down south.

Just a thought.

Oh, and by the by, RSR got my order 2 days ago for the M468 upper for an

upcoming project.

Art

..keep your powder dry!

Edited by S/S74

I didn't know that Olympic arms had an upper in 243, Will it work in regular 223/5.56 AR mags? I was looking at Model 1's 6.8mm uppers they start at $355.00.

JoeyP,

Well yes and no, it will function using AR15/M16 magazines that are modified. The original un modified magazines sit too high in the weapon and will not latch with the bolt closed and with the bolt open they will latch but the bolt will not cycle farther than 1/3 of the way accross the magazine lips. All of this because the bolt for the .243 wssm is larger in diameter than the .223/5.56 bolt.

I use the steel SA80/M16 30 round magazines. Initially, buying the upper unit from

Olympic Arms they include a modified 20 round magazine that functions perfectly for the .243 wssm cartridge. They also sell the modified mags, but I believe they are somewhat like hens teeth (hard to come by). So having said that, If you have

access to a Dremel tool (or die grinder) and a small amount of time, you can make

your very own mags that will fit and function perfectly.

First remove the base plate and remove the spring and follower, Mill off (grind off

cut off, etc) the bump (raised area) on the follower. Secondly on the side of the

magazine is the magazine catch opening, open up (raise the opening) toward the

feed lips approximately .070"-.080". Try the mag in the weapon with the bolt closed, if it will latch, then, with the magazine still in the lower, breach the weapon (pull the charging handle back) and make sure the bolt will glide over the mag and not bind on same. If it functions, you are good to go. If it does not latch remove a tiny amount of metal until it does.

Then remove the mag from the weapon, clean out any metal shavings and degrease the interior of the mag body. I spray the interior of all of my magazines with a dry lubricant (outers, birchwood casey, etc).

Re-install the follower and spring and the base plate. Again try the magazine in the weapon to confirm it will latch in the mag well and also breach the weapon to confirm the bolt hold open functions.

At this point, it become somewhat tricky, you may need to make a slight adjustment to the feed lips on the mag so that the cartridges will feed properly into the barrel. Out of 10 magazines that I have converted only 2 needed minor adjustments to the feed lips, the other 8 were all good to go.

When I metoned above that it has become tricky, what I was referring to was using a cartridge (or several) to confirm that all will feed properly. Let me say this I DO NOT USE LIVE AMMUNITION, and I do not suggest you do either to load into the completed mag to make sure that the mag functions perfectly.

I made 10 dummy rounds to load into the magazines to cycle into the weapon. That will confirm they (the magazines) function, if all goes well all feed perfectly, if not, not a biggie, unload the mag and easily bend the feed lips up slightly, then retry with a few INERT rounds of ammo until they do feed perfectly.

Sounds complicated, no, thats right its not, I had 10 perfectly functional mags in less than an hour.

Initally I only loaded 5 or 6 rounds in the magazines while "breaking in" the barrel.

After the mods, my 30 rounders are now 10 rounders (6 of them can deal with 13 rounds each).

I cant quite remember what Oly is charging for their "prefab" mags but I think its around $25 each (or more) so you can see how much cheaper it is by you doing a little work.

And just as an aside I used a Bushmaster lower (as are all of my AR15 projects) to attach the Oly Arms .243wssm upper to.

Oh and by the by, the 6.8 spc magazines have to be modified for the cartridge to function also, so either way, if its not a .223/5.56, you can either do the mods or spend the $$ for the prefab mags (if they are in stock or available).

Hope this helps. Sorry its such a long post.

Art

.keep your powder dry!

I bought a lower last week end. After leaving the show empty handed, a buddy of mine talked me into going back, and buying what I thought was a forged DPMS lower half with A2 stock. Was looking it over again tonight, and It looks like there's a seem, where two halves are joined to make the lower receiver.Incuding tax, I gave$265 for it. Did I get skinned??? How can I tell for certain if it's cast, or forged??? :-: Thanks for any input.

Q. What types of lower receivers does DPMS offer?

A. DPMS offers both a cast and a forged aluminum lower receiver that has been hardcoat anodized per Mil-Spec and Teflon coated black. This process provides more wear resistance and provides a color match between our upper and lower receivers. DPMS also offers a cast stainless steel lower receiver in both a natural gray color or the Teflon coated black. These receivers weigh approximately 1.75 lbs. more than the aluminum lower receivers.

A DPMS Stripped Lower Receiver Forged costs about $138.

There are three types of new stripped receivers:

Cast Post Ban Stripped Lower Receiver

Forged Post Ban Stripped Lower Receiver

Stainless Steel Post Ban Stripped Lower Receiver

Sounds cast but read here for more information: http://www.olyarms.com/castorforged.html

I bought a lower last week end. After leaving the show empty handed, a buddy of mine talked me into going back, and buying what I thought was a forged DPMS lower half with A2 stock. Was looking it over again tonight, and It looks like there's a seem, where two halves are joined to make the lower receiver.Incuding tax, I gave$265 for it. Did I get skinned??? How can I tell for certain if it's cast, or forged??? :-: Thanks for any input.

What all came with the reciever? Was it just a buttstock or did you get your buffer, pistol grip, and all the internals?

I was looking for a stripped lower receiver, but I bought a complete lower half. It turns out to be forged, looks like around this area, that price is about average. Not a big find. I might have prefered a Bushmaster, but I sure like that Panther Arms logo.ok>

Edited by binford