Sign in to follow this  
goober

What M-16 Accessories Are On Tv War

Like everyone else I have bee watching the war on TV. I have seen very few, what I would call stock M-16s or whatever the current version is called. Mostly, I have seen the ones that have the shorty stock, some type of optics, grenade launcher and a bunch of other stuff that I do not know about. Is there any site on the net that has a pic of one of this type rifle with ALL the different accessories expalined or at least identified. I posted an earlier question about what type of optics that would be a good comparison to the probably expensive military optics for close in (say less than 100 yds) and it was prety unanimous to get the EOTECH. Any idea from anyone on the above questions. Thanks, Goob

i dont know of a site, but i think all the ones being used are either m4a1's or m16a2's. ive seen alot of em with scopes and other optical stuff (looks like they have thermal sh*t built into the scope maybe?)

Military version of Aim point (red dot sort of) and is compatable with night vision. It is hard to shoot an Iron Sight rifle when wearing NV googles. You will also notice that these guys are also using flat top uppers intead of the carry handles, a foregrip and entry light.

With all these "doodads" I am wondering If the US Military is going to stick with the M16 weapons platform for much longer. They have been slowly replacing the other small arms with FN stuff. (M249 SAW = FN Minimi, M240GPMG= FN MAG)

I really think that the next round the US adopts for light arms is going to be in a size between the 7.62NATO and the 5.56. The wounding potential of 5.56mm is there, its just the AP applications are limited when firing at distance.

I heard a rumor that China is developing a 5.8mm round that is supposed to blow the rest of the worlds Small arms ammo away. Is it true? Got me.

-Thed

PS Goober, If you need inexpensive AimPoint Style sights, you can buy 30mm tubes for under $20 and BSA have low cost 42mm and 50mm. These are okay, and can be fun, but I am an iron sight kind of guy. My wife likes to put a BSA 42mm on her HK94 clone. With L7A2 Hirtenberger +P+ ball ammo it is insane the pin point firepower under 100yards.

Here's some of the stuff you are seeing on the news.

M4w-att.jpg

The large site is an AN\PVS4. The sight to it's left is the new AIMPOINT sight being issued. The box to the left of the AIMPOINT is the AN\PEQ-4 IR laser.

Most of the Army guys you see on the news have the new M16A4, seen below, with all the same goodies.

M16w-att.jpg