Sign in to follow this  
warlock

Model 1 Pictures...please Look...

I got my model 1 kit today. I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

My only question was...when I looked at the buttstock....it seemed awfully light colored compared to the milspec finish of the upper reciever and rest of the gun. Doesn't seem like it matches! Am I just a complete noob at this or what? Maybe it's the light or something? I don't really think that is the case tho............

After checking the model1 website....it appeared as though the buttstocks were darker colored than what I recieved.

Here is a pic

Edited by warlock

Update:

He emailed me today and told me that the stocks come out really hot/dry from the mold.

He said it would help to run some gun oil in it...would darken over time

Will try it and see what happens

B{

Been out of town for a few days, and sorry for the slow reply.

Gun oil will help darken the butstock if you desire it. You may wish to look into some Auto Parts supply places for some "Armor-all" or other product instead of oil. (less slippery).

Also keep in mind that the color difference is even more exaggerated because of the anodized black aluminum handguard. Different material so the color will also seem farther off.

Looks neat!

-Thed

But will a product such as armor all work on a textured surface like the buttstock?

I would look into. I am sure there are some plastic perservative products available out there. Seems to me if it can work on car trim it may work well on a buttstock.

Your call, I just wanted to throw out some options!

-Thed

Update:

He emailed me today and told me that the stocks come out really hot/dry from the mold.

He said it would help to run some gun oil in it...would darken over time

Will try it and see what happens

B{

Yep , same experience with one of my AR stocks . Not to worry .

God bless

Wyr

No kidding. Worry about the stock being loose, or breaking, not what it looks like. These are fighting arms, not museum pieces, right?

Well Belay(welcome to the forum btw)

When I'm spending over a thousand for a firearm...I think I'm justified to worry about one thing B{

huh? for a Model 1 Sales AR? Better be some real HBAR, match trigger, wts, barrel, free float tube, etc, cause a standard AR from that outfit should be well under $600.

Over 1000 including the complete rifle:)

My kit from Model 1 was around 500 with options

Hello: new here, I just bought an Oly AR. a used one. it's about 5 years old and my stock looks like yours. i tryed using ArmorAll. cleaned it up real nice but stayed the same color, kind of a grayish. the fore end is nice and dark no problem there.

if it's plastic (or something like that) would a gun oil work? it woudn't penatrate would it? i'll try it tomarrow, nothing to loose.

but i did see just yesterday i could get new stocks in many colors. Cav pro i think. pink ones, purple. brown, and of course boring black. If i lived in WI were a .223 is legal for deer, i'd opt for the Blaze orange stocks. ... or maybe not..

My new A2 stock from DPMS was the same way. I inspected, and wiped it down with breakfree clp, and it turned dark gray instantly. Was amazed at the difference in shades.

I've got a Colt H-bar Match Target A-2 .223 and my stock is the same way. I certainly noticed it at first but now I think it looks just fine. I would only try and put oil or Armor All on the stock if there were ever any scratches or noticeable marks on the stock itself.

I bought a Model 1 kit in '99 and the stock looked almost gray....a little rubdown with Breakfree got it dark and kept it that way. Be aware that the stock will still look lighter in color versus the handguards because of the difference in surface area and the molding of the hanguard. Optical illusion. :c)l: