Sign in to follow this  
macho999

Looking for a Youth .22

I'm in the market for a youth model .22.  Being a beastly manly man I've had no need for such trifles and trinkets before but now that I've got a wife, step-kid and baby due in about a month, it's time.  I've got a 10/22 with a 22" barrel that I think was a wal-mart exclusive back in the day and a .22 mag.  These are both a little too heavy for the wife and step-kid and much, much too heavy for an infant. 

I know the cricket exists.  Is there anything else worth looking at?  Are they all pretty much the same?  

This is going to be a teaching tool and then a strap it to the rack of the fourwheeler when I go coon hunting sort of rifle, so no pink stocks.  

the cricket is a good starting rifle, or there are other older rifles that use the same type of bolt action that you manually charge. a rifle like that makes it next to impossible to have an accidental discharge with a new shooter. when I talk my sons to shoot they both you the rifle like that, they would load the round in the chamber close the bolt and get into the proper position. only then would I charge the rifle.

Cricket and  10/22 carbine with a youth stock.

Remember that the cricket is STUPID small.  Too small for a decent sized child and impossibly small for an adult female.

Over time I have come to reject the need for a bolt action .22 as a starter gun.  After instructing a lot of Appleseeds and seeing a lot of women and kids shoot for the first time in one...If someone is responsible enough to graduate from an air rifle (which can be done in many more places than a firearm) to a real firearm, I think the semi-auto is the way to go.  A precocious learner will grow into it fast and its not like they require LESS supervision with a bolt gun.  You still need to be there and directly supervising them.  If they cant get off the trigger (fire too fast, refuse to follow the fundamentals and go cyclic), load single rounds in the mags or don't let them fire again till they master themselves.  I have seen 7 year olds become pretty adept with the 10/22.  Bottom line is that if they work out well enough to shoot regularly, they will likely outgrow the NEED for a bolt gun quickly.  Whether you WANT them to use a bolt gun for a while is another matter.

the bolt action is also good to help win over a wife worried about thire "baby" shooting a gun. (YMMV)

back when i was first teaching my sons my wife wasn't much of a shooter, and had limited exposure to guns. showing her a gun that took me to charge it reassured her. 

How about a rifle overage shotgun? Savage recently come out with a new combination gun 22 over 410. Is light enough that a young should be able to handle it. Sure it ain't the prettiest thing but it might be just what you're looking for

I hadn't really considered the semi auto since I learned on a bolt. I think I'd rather have a semi auto as the bolt is something I don't think I'll ever want to use for anything, and once they grow out of it they'll not want to either.  I've got a bolt action .410 that my dad learned to shoot with so a bolt .22 may be redundant anyway.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

The CZ Scout is a nice youth size 22.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-scout/

Also, Remington makes a youth size. Not as small as the Crickett. I got to play with one the other day. Don't remember the model no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEz7Al7UE5Y

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum!

Thanks, I have small hands and somewhat short arms for a man, so several of my rifles, including my deer rifle, are youth models.. They just fit me better, so I do a bit of research on youth guns.

what isn't right now?

once the panic dies down the shelfs will start filling back up