Sign in to follow this  
ItaloAmerican

Bushmaster .223

I'm about to purchase a Bushmaster for home defense. My application will likely not exceed 200 yards, ever. I'd really like the 16" bbl over the 20", but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy. At a 1 in 9"twist, with the normal 55 gr bullet, does anyone feel I'll be sacrificing any significant accuracy with the shorter of the two?

I have a Bushmaster with a 14.5 inch barrel and from what I have seen there isn't too much difference ballistically from the two. I have not shot it though and I am of no help to you. When I shoot it I will let you know. I have heard so many different opinions on the shorter barrels and plan to do some of my own tests to find out how deep it will penetrate. I wish I was more help but until the weather warms up I won't know.

I have a Bushmaster with a 14.5 inch barrel and from what I have seen there isn't too much difference ballistically from the two. I have not shot it though and I am of no help to you. When I shoot it I will let you know. I have heard so many different opinions on the shorter barrels and plan to do some of my own tests to find out how deep it will penetrate. I wish I was more help but until the weather warms up I won't know.

:FT: I have the shorty 16 heavy barrel. It shoots in a dime from a rest and has never jamed in the two years I've had it. Heard a lot of talk of the 20 in. barrel being optimal for this caliber. My thinking is a slight loss in Muzz. vel. is worth the trade for a more compact close quarters rifle. Its sill around 3000 fps. and plenty acurate for 300, 400 yds. The trigger is a bit stiff, Ill get that lightened. I like the cheap used Isreal orlite mags. ammo comes out smoother than cheaper metal mags and GI. mags are $40 to $50 each.

I have a 14.5 inch Bushmaster and it shoots groups under an inch at 100 yards. I haven't been able to shoot it any further. This is with 55 grain bullets. I am not to worried about shooting over 300 yards because there aren't too many places where you have that long of a shot. The shorter barrel with the right ammo will do fine. Keep this is mind, by military stats 20 inch M16-3100 FPS a M4 14.5 inch barrel 2970 fps. That is with the new 62 grain bullet

I just got back from shooting my 14.5 inch Bushmaster. Shoots great and with 55 grain JSP ammo from Black Hills, I shot through a 9 inch tree at 50 yards. Right through the back of it. There may be a lot of carbine haters and with the wrong bullets it is more suseptable to distance. With a HP or SP this won't matter at all because of the bullet expansion. After reading all the "Expert" reports I thought that I had made a mistake. I saw first hand the kind of power this little bullet has. Let them hall around the 20'inch M16A2. There isn't much of a difference out to 300 yards and most people can't hit anything out that far anyway.

I agree Gunman, I'm very impressed with the accuracy of the short barrel AR's. The bushies shoot much tighter groups than most fine hunting rifles Iv'e seen. The short barrel is alot better for close quarter combat. Thats why I bought mine great duel purpose rifle, good for snipeing out to 400 yds. and good entry rifle. Not to mention lighter clips and ammo. The .223 has plenty of power. anyone hit center mass will fold up, no matter how invincible they talk. especialy with soft points.

I'm about to purchase a Bushmaster for home defense. My application will likely not exceed 200 yards, ever.  I'd really like the 16" bbl over the 20", but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy.  At a 1 in 9"twist, with the normal 55 gr bullet, does anyone feel I'll be sacrificing any significant accuracy with the shorter of the two?

743[/snapback]

I was not paticularly impressed with the overall 'quality' of the bushmaster as compared to the others at the gun store. The Bushmaster had a good price, But if this is a 'home defense' gun, then price should not really be an issue.

Check ALL the different brands before you decide, JMO!

I have a 1 in 9"twist, 16", Stainless Steel, Heavy Barrel, CRYO'ed, and the accuracy is spooky-friggin good! Go with the short one if that's what you like!

Good Luck!

Remember...the 5.56 uppers can shoot the .223 but NOT vise versa.

ok>

I was not paticularly impressed with the overall 'quality' of the bushmaster as compared to the others at the gun store. The Bushmaster had a good price, But if this is a 'home defense' gun, then price should not really be an issue.

94481[/snapback]

as long as he doesnt get a colt

as long as he doesnt get a colt

95061[/snapback]

I am not real impressed with the 'newer' model Colt AR's either... I am not saying that they are a 'bad' gun but, They have changed and 'tweaked' so many things over the years to make the BATF happy that it is not funny. Those newer Colts may look the same (as the original) from 10 feet back, but they are NOT...

I have shot some 'accurate and dependable' Colt AR's, but If I was layin' down the money for a COLT, It would have to be a pre-ban for me...

All my guys have purchased or are issued AR15A3 with the 16 inch barrel. You will not notice any difference from the 20 out to say 300 yards.

At the home defence distances it will not make any difference at all.

The Bushmaster rifles they have purchased in the A3 or M-4 variant seem to work well and are of good quality. I personally favor the Colt. I have an AR-15A3 rifle with an aimpoint optical sight. All are weapons are LEO but they are the same basic rifle anyone can buy.