Sign in to follow this  
CulminatingJoe

Gunsite Scout Rifle

does look pretty solid but sadly i can't give a review since there are none here that i've heard of

So with rifles like that, do you have to use a special kind of scope to allow for they eye relief? Aside from red dots, I don't think I've shot a scoped rifle where the scope was mounted so far forward.

I think it's more envisaged for a reflex sight, Tube. but there are scopes out that would suit such a forward mounting.

In my case - if I got it - I'd keep it bare, use the ghost ring.

If I find the articles I'll post them, but based on the research I did on it awhile back I would buy one in a heartbeat if they made a left-handed version.

Here's one I recalled:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-308-gunsite-scout-rifle-10-round-mag-lc9-features/

Should also add that it uses proprietary magazines, in case you didn't notice.

And what's with the incredibly small edit windows for posts? Should be a lot longer than just a few minutes.

My local gun store will have examples in from June onwards. Pretty reasonable price too. I have a reminder set in my phone to ring them then and duck round for a look.

Interestingly, the fella there said he'd heard the Australian imported ones will not come with the muzzle break. No reason he could think of why - muzzle breaks aren't illegal. Bit of a head scratcher.

who knows... maybe ruger wanted to make sure no anti gun aussies would thing it was more evil because of the break?

A long eye relief scope of lower power (4 or so) is usually ideal for these. Think leupold revolver scope or similar.

I 'spose that might be possible, BDA. For a couple of reasons (not least the asthetics of it) I won't be going with a mid mounted scope. I'll almost certainly stick with the irons....or maybe, just maybe, put my ATN Ultrasight on it.

So with rifles like that, do you have to use a special kind of scope to allow for they eye relief? Aside from red dots, I don't think I've shot a scoped rifle where the scope was mounted so far forward.

"Scout" scopes are designed to have very long eye relief, very close to handgun scopes. Like so

Reminds me of the old Gibbs scout rifle, which was basically an Ishapore .308 Enfield cut down and made to look like a No5 jungle carbine. I think emclean has one in 303 if I remember. I think the new ruger is a great idea. The only thing I don't like about it is the overly long single stack mag.

Gibbs

popwm794343.jpg

Well that's even better. I was wondering about that when you posted about it a few years ago. Never heard of one in 303. Butt I hav ceen Emclean potsing many a of typos on tihs furom.

Well that's even better. I was wondering about that when you posted about it a few years ago. Never heard of one in 303. Butt I hav ceen Emclean potsing many a of typos on tihs furom.

Literally LOL. Well played, sir.

Jared

Joe, this looks like it is about as close to a battle rifle as you can legally own in Oz. Though I seem to recall seeing modern SMLEs with quick change mags a while back from an Aussie vendor.

Aha! Here it is: http://storm.ca/~aiarms/M10-No4mkIV.shtm

Pretty...

:D: How's it going Jared? Keeping those crooks in line I trust.

Been surprisingly slow. I guess that means we're doing that awesome.

Jared

Joe, this looks like it is about as close to a battle rifle as you can legally own in Oz. Though I seem to recall seeing modern SMLEs with quick change mags a while back from an Aussie vendor.

Aha! Here it is: http://storm.ca/~aiarms/M10-No4mkIV.shtm

I've handled those and then nearly passed out with shock at the price. Not for me. The Ruger is actually cheaper.

Yes, that's my thinking - it's as close as I can get to a good battle rifle. There's several compromises I need to make vis a vis our laws and the Marlin 336A was not a bad one....but in my assessment the Ruger seems to do it better. But I'll wait to actually handle one in June/July and see how I feel.