Sign in to follow this  
Hrothgar

Shopping for Ruger 10/22

Howdy!

I'm shopping around for a Ruger 10/22. I found a new 10/22 for under $250.00 in a black synthetic stock, but I want a wood stock, and I'm keen on older (broken-in) rifles. What prices are you seeing for this rifle, new and used?

Check gunbroker.com. Seems like you can easily find them for at or under $200.

When the hell did they get so expensive? I got mine back in the day for a little over $100!

Jared

Is this what you are looking for? Walmart sells them at a good price. Use the UPC code to get the price.

Ruger model # 1168 Harwood stock

Ruger model # 1102 Walnut stock

post-1-0-91505400-1297169242_thumb.jpg

Jared: I don't know when the prices rose, but, as we all know, inflation is steadily increasing, thus our money is losing value. The quality of the new 10/22 is also losing value, as the new 10/22s have a plastic trigger assembly and a plastic barrel ring, where the older ones have blued steel; also, the new barrels and receivers are finished with a black matte paint, where they used to be blued steel. I assume the older ones, with the blued steel hardware, are of a higher quality than the newer plastic parts and painted hardware.

If I were to go to gunbroker.com, the rifle has to be shipped to my local FFL who charges enough of a fee for a $200 rifle to end up costing the same as the price they have on the new one I saw yesterday.

Finally, my step-father has an old 10/22 barrel and stock, so all I need is the action, and, as I said, I trust the older ones are of a higher quality. I may just stick it out 'til the next gun show and see if any one has one for sale, since I don't need a high-quality barrel, just the action.

Decider: The Wal-Mart models are not the same as the carbine models, which I'm looking for. Since I only need the action, I shall shop around at local pawn shops and the next gun shop for a beat-up used 10/22 rather than investing in a new one.

Thanks for the good information, guys.

gun broker has a area to help you find a local FFL. it is worth a look.

i came across a sweet deal on the used racks of gander mountain (10/22 in a folding stock, crap scope and folding bi-pod for less than new price), so get out there an look!

Look at Cabela's as well, I've seen lots of good prices on used guns. I can't comment on prices though, I got mine for $100 with an already tuned trigger.