Sign in to follow this  
paul55

Rare Bushmaster? Take A Look!

Hi guys. I recently obtained a rifle for my collection. This rifle is an early Bushmaster. I have never seen rifles such as this. As soon as I saw it at a gun dealer, I purchased it. I cannot find any information regarding this rifle. It reminds me of a Galil. On the rifle, it says:

BUSHMASTER

ASSAULT RIFLE

BUSHMASTER FIREARMS

PORTLAND, MAINE USA

5.56 MM

F00914 (serial number)

I would be grateful if someone pointed me to some information regarding this rifle and its value. The condition of this rifle is excellent. Will try to attach an image of this beauty.

Thank You,

Paul

post-8-1074993607_thumbjpg

Wow. I haven't seen one of those things in 25 years. I hope you didn't pay too much for that "classic" (why do you think Bushmaster quit making them, and now make AR15's instead).

I am not sure about the history of this rifle. I will try to get information from the Bushmaster company. In my opinion, this weapon is a prototype. I think it was made at least thirty years ago. The producer was most likely trying to get a contract from the US or foreign army. This rifle clearly looks like a military weapon, and not a commercial weapon (very simple, no extra features). I like this rifle a lot. Yesterday, I gave it to the local gunsmith for inspection. I was told that the gun is in "like new" condition, probably never fired. I did not pay too much for this rifle. I do not like to pay too much...

That rifle was made by Gwinn arms Co. in Winston-Salem NC, between 1972 & 1974. Company was bought out by Quality Parts in 1986, currently manufactures good-quality AR15's in Windham Maine. That rifle of yours uses M16 mags, has an AK-type action. Most recent listing I have for it lists the gun at $500 in 100% condition. Current price would be somewhat higher, but rifle wasn't all that great. Main value is (IMO) rounding out a semi-auto "assault weapon" collection.

OOPS! Didn't re-read your IP. Looks like your rifle has the fixed wood stock (earliest ones had a folding wood stock). It's a production model built after Gwinn firearms went under, but before Bushmaster saw the light and started making AR15 clones. Not a prototype, not especially rare or desirable, not especially valuable...