Sign in to follow this  
JR35

AMMO destroyed my handgun!

Hi people and thanks for viewing my topic. The other day i went to the pistol range to knock the cobwebs off before going to a one day course. To save money I decided to leave my Glock 21 in the gun safe and pull my really old, yet always reliable, Taurus PT99 (beretta style) off the back shelf and head to the gun club. I also pulled an ammo can off the bottom shelf and shoveled about half of the 9mm rounds (about 300 rounds probably) into a container and headed out. The ammo is WOLF ammo, and I bought it a few years ago - it has been stored in the ammo can in the safe the whole time, never exposed to water or the elements, and up until now I had never had an issue with it.

So I'm on the range. I was practicing slow fire drills and had just transitioned to double tapping and had put about 15 magazines through the pistol when suddenly I had a really loud and extra hard recoil. Upon inspection I found a spent casing sticking half way out of the chamber with the primer gone completely out of the back of it. Tried as i might I couldn't get the casing out of the barrel and eventually had to take it in to a gunsmith to get it removed. Upon removing the casing we discovered that the chamber was completely ruined since whatever happened warped the chamber. Bottom line is the barrel is ruined and the gun is out of commission.

Well since it was an old gun I wasn't too heartbroken about it and I actually wound up buying a brand new XDM 9mm that same day. Now the problem I have is that I still have that ammo can full of 9mm rounds, plus what is left in the bucket I had at the range that day, but I am afraid to shoot it in my new pistol.

Has anybody had a similar experience with an exploding bullet? I am a proficient shooter -but not a gunsmith - and I don't even really know what happened. I don't know if WOLF ammo is really as bad as "they" say - of if I got a bad batch of ammo and it needs to be tossed - or if something was wrong with the gun in the first place.

Thanks for any help....

happy shooting.

Wolf is definately not premium stuff, however I have never heard of a KB due to it. As many Wolf haters as there are out there I expect we would have heard about it by now. Idle curiosity, was it the older slightly green laquered rounds or the gray tinted polymer coated rounds? All standard Wolf is steel cased (except the Wolf Gold line that is brass and boxer primed) and has a coating to ease feeding. The older wolf ammo was a green laquer, newer is grayish polymer. When I used to shoot the old stuff I would get some residue build up but I ran 300 rounds through a Glock 23 in a day with no issues.

The only time I have heard of similar things is when someone accidentally used a subgun round... 9mm loaded for use in open bolt sub guns. any chance you got a round of that mixed into your loose wolf ammo?

Did you buy the ammo "loose" in the can?

The rounds are def. gray. I bought them some time in 2004. I inspected the barrel after we got the casing out and I didn't see any kind of obstruction. I wasn't having any problem with the rounds feeding prior to the incident. My hypothesis is that I had somekind of factory hotload scenario where the primer blew out of the back of the casing, and as the round was being ejected the extra pressure expanded the casing and the chamber so that the ejector slipped off and couldn't pull the casing out. That is why the casing was slightly out of the chamber. I ruled out an obstructed chamber because the pistol won't function if the round isn't completely seated. The gunsmith who helped me said I may have had a slamfire - but I distinctly remember pulling the trigger. I've tried to replicate an obstruction scenario using dummy rounds, but the chamber is expanded so much that the dummy rounds go all the way past the chamber opening so the extractor can't grip them on the way out.

With the understanding that sometimes a round can malfunction regardless of the manufacturer, the thing I really want to know is should I toss out the rest of my WOLF 9mm ammo and go with a different brand from now on - or should I just figure it was a bad roll of the dice and keep on shooting. Because if I blow up a brand new XDM I'm going to be a little more agitated....

The only time I have heard of similar things is when someone accidentally used a subgun round... 9mm loaded for use in open bolt sub guns. any chance you got a round of that mixed into your loose wolf ammo?

Did you buy the ammo "loose" in the can?

Not a chance. I don't have a subgun or any subgun ammo. The ammo came in the factory boxes and I dumped it all out into the ammo can myself. I'm trying to upload pictures but it's not working...

Wierdness. I suppose it could be a bad ammo. If so, a bad lot perhaps, never heard of it before. The wife and I have run a fair amount of Wolf gray 9mm over the years and never had the gun do anything except get really dirty.

It might behoove you to not shoot that ammo purchase anymore, even if the chances of repeat are minimal it will probably make you feel better.

Here is a picture of the handgun after the incident. It is a little out of focus but you can see the blown primer clearly. Also - this is the position the casing was stuck in - slightly extracted from the chamber. The reason the casing appears rough around the edges is because I tried to use a leatherman to get it out before giving up on it and going to the gunsmith.

post-9552-1227288563_thumb.jpg

Not a chance. I don't have a subgun or any subgun ammo. The ammo came in the factory boxes and I dumped it all out into the ammo can myself. I'm trying to upload pictures but it's not working...

Similar thing happened with a Glock a while back.

What happened was that a bullet was depressed into the case and this cased malfunction. Loose ammo can become damaged by storage sometimes. OR there was a manufacturing error which caused a hot load and excessive pressure.

A round blowing primers can break the extractor and or ejector, and even damage the bolt face

Understandable... I was just curious when you mentioned you ammo was "loose".... If you'd bought a "lot" of loose ammo as is sometimes sold, that possibility might exist.

Understandable... I was just curious when you mentioned you ammo was "loose".... If you'd bought a "lot" of loose ammo as is sometimes sold, that possibility might exist.

Nah, when I said lot I meant throw away all of the ammo that came in the same box as the bad round. When they QC ammo if they find a bad round, or a percentage of bad ones, the entire lot is thus considered to be subpar and usually gets completely recycled. So in other words - do I throw out all of this WOLF ammo?

Maybe it happened because the round was depressed into the case a little bit, but I am more apt to go with the hotload theory. I've come across hotloads before in other calibers by other manufacturers. But none of them destroyed my firearm or even blew the primer for that matter. When this round went off there was a noticeable difference in recoil and volume. Once again I am not a gun mechanics expert, but maybe if there was a problem with the round seating properly the effect of the altered reaction in the chamber would cause an increased recoil and bang since the blast is not going out of the muzzle. But the round did discharge and was not lodged in the barrel, so I am pretty sure that isn't the case.

Well at this point I'd say the best COI is toss the whole lot and start over. Bummer... ammo has been on the rise lately.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Heh, I've shot subgun loads out of the hipower before. It eats em alive it does!

I hear you!

I got some egyptian 9mm from grayfox... I dont remember if it was for subguns or not... saving it for a rainy day in the SW 760

I hear you!

I got some egyptian 9mm from grayfox... I dont remember if it was for subguns or not... saving it for a rainy day in the SW 760

I've shot some thru a Mac 11/9 & a Uzi. Seems pretty hot. :cool1:

That's nice gun. Congrats.

Thanks. So far I've been very pleased. I've been an avid Glock shooter for several years (GL 19 and GL 21). After shooting it and getting familiar with it I have to say the XDM bells and whistles are very convenient. It's like a Glock only better... and with more bullets.

Grip safety, striker status indicator and loaded chamber indicator to start. Not neeeding to drop the Striker to field strip it. Those are not on the Glock. Different serrations, grip checkering and ability to hold more rounds.

Not to nitpick, but Glocks have a loaded chamber indicator.

Jared

Besides your leg I mean...no seriously, you are correct...never use the bastard (loaded chamber indicator) so I forgot all about it.