Sign in to follow this  
Knight

Patty Hearst's Gun

Question

There's a thread on Calguns where we're trying to ID this strange gun that Patty Hearst is holding in this photo.

TheOrdealOfPattyHearst.jpg

Any ideas?

18 answers to this question

Whatever it is, it's the silliest pairing of optic and firearm I've ever seen.

Oh and groovy beanie.

Edited by CulminatingJoe

Yep. Here is a description of the firearm.

On April 15, 1974, an SLA gang raided a branch of the Hibernia Bank in San Francisco, netting $10,000. As the police played back a grainy surveillance tape after the raid, their eyes fell on the unmistakable figure of Patty, standing in the bank's main aisle, cradling an M1 carbine.

On trial in San Francisco for the Hibernia Bank operation, she [Patricia Campbell Hearst] appeared in court wearing frosted-white nail polish, and demonstrated for the jury the bolt action necessary to chamber an M-1.

[Patricia Campbell Hearst] appeared in court wearing frosted-white nail polish

I wouldn't mind seeing her just wearing some nail polish.

Well then obviously. That's the time they're talking about.

:whistle: Older women...are beautiful lovers... :whistle:

Jared

Update: Actually, it's all a trick. :dunce: The above photo is from some crappy made-for-tv movie, rather than an actual photo of Patty Hearst. The gun she is holding is most likely fake. It is NOT an M1 carbine; I'd be willing to stake my professional career as an internet gun identifier on it.

In the actual photo though, she is indeed holding an M1:

post-2396-1208988843_thumb.jpg

You owe me a beer. :cool1:

Too bad I already knew that the "real" one was an M1. I posted as much on Calguns:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpos...amp;postcount=4

Who's the cool one now? :moon:

The issue I had was the specific gun pictured. Up until today I assumed that this photo was taken separately than the other ones, and she just happened to be holding a different firearm that time. Now that I know it's not actually Ms. Hearst, I am almost positive it's a movie prop. I literally pored over every subgun book in my library, as well as every subgun page on World Guns, AND browsed hundreds of firearm images on Google and other websites, and I didn't find anything that even closely resembled the gun in the picture..

But hey, I'm a reasonable guy. How about a compromise. It's on me:

:cookie:

I literally pored over every subgun book in my library, as well as every subgun page on World Guns, AND browsed hundreds of firearm images on Google and other websites, and I didn't find anything that even closely resembled the gun in the picture..

Wow, you really, really need a girlfriend. :D:

:mods: LOL

Knight, you still owe me a beer or I will tell every one at Calguns you are into dudes.

Tell me about it . . .

Fine. You win this time, Admin. But only because I don't want to go through the trouble of explaining to the Calguns members why some random person from the internet who dresses like Peter Pan is saying I like guys.

And a hole cut in a picture of a MP5 doesn't count. :okay:

Jared

I wouldn't mind seeing her just wearing some nail polish.

I'd do her (back then, not now), but I have been in Iraq for a while so I have an excuse. I might have to wear earplugs so I didnt have to listen to the marxist drivel she would probably be spouting off about even in bed.

Tell me about it . . .

Fine. You win this time, Admin. But only because I don't want to go through the trouble of explaining to the Calguns members why some random person from the internet who dresses like Peter Pan is saying I like guys.

Alright, you got me there.

And a hole cut in a picture of a MP5 doesn't count. :okay:

Jared

That was Very Funny Actually.

Bit late but heck, I'm awake and I saw your thread.

If it's the pic I think, it's a movie-fied Schmeiser.  The mag well is under that foregrip thing they added and a fake mag well was added back near the trigger guard.  That's also a cheap scope....the real Hearst gun was an M1 with a flashlight.  Back to bed.  Great to meet you guys!