Sign in to follow this  
STRIKER

whats your tricks to break in a new barrel

id like to hear your tips and tricks on breaking in a new ar barrel or do you just load em up and blast away? :uzi:

i fire 3 to 5 rounds let it cool then clean it (rince wash repeat) lol after about 200 round its calmed down :007:

For every 10 rounds, I thoroughly clean, dry, and lightly lubricate the barrel. I only shoot copper jacketed ammunition during break in phase.

i load them up and blast away. but then again i dont shoot langer than 50 yards very often.

For every 10 rounds, I thoroughly clean, dry, and lightly lubricate the barrel. I only shoot copper jacketed ammunition during break in phase.

For an AR? I use a small amount of solvent to clean, then dry the barrel. I don't lube the barrel until the day's shooting is over. I do the same routine as Warlock (every ten rounds) up to about 100 rounds or so. Then it's normal use from there.

Edited by CulminatingJoe

I usually pack bacon fat into the barrel, then plug up the end with a potato (must be from Idaho mind you). Next I load a full mag with squib rounds and fire them quickly.

Once the barrel bulges and the muzzle splits; I run some patches through the barrel with Duracoat to protect its finish.

It depends on who you talk to which side of the barrel break-in answer you get. Many well known shooters and barrel makers (big names) say that break-in was started by some barrel maker because it wears out your barrel faster, hence, you need to buy a replacement sooner. All I do is shoot about 10 rounds, and run a patch from an Otis kit down the bore with some CLP or similar, and then a dry patch. Really strong, fast acting solvents are also corrosive, so if you leave them in your chamber they can microetch. Shoot pretty slowly and let your barrel cool, it shouldn't get very hot anyway.

For an AR? I use a small amount of solvent to clean, then dry the barrel. I don't lube the barrel until the day's shooting is over. I do the same routine as Warlock (every ten rounds) up to about 100 rounds or so. Then it's normal use from there.

When I say lube Joe, I mean that I run a wet patch of a light gun oil tyle lube down the barrel, then a few dry patches to get rid of any excess. The light lubrication makes it much easier to clean as well.

Oh ok....I just use a very small amount of solvent instead of oil. End of the day is when I oil the rifling. Using spuds, well that seems an Admin thing. :D: Different strokes....

Every 10 rounds for first 100 rounds. Seems like the standard way to do it.

I haven't done it since I bought my Remington 700, as I don't really have any other serious target rifles. I'll probably take the time to break-in my .50, though.