Sign in to follow this  
Admin

New Kel Tec RFB .308 Rifle

Kel Tec RFB .308 Rifle

post-1-1169388518_thumb.jpg

Kel Tec unvieled plans for a "High Efficiency Rifle" in a Bullpup format at the Shot Show in Jan 2007.

The new rifle is called the RFB (Rifle Forward ejection Bullpup), it is chambered in 7.62mm -- utilizes FN FAL magazines -- and comes with barrel lengths of 18", 24", and 32".

http://www.kel-tec.com/images/downloads/RF...OT_2007_web.pdf

For some reason, I'm having a hard time getting enthused over these rifles. For the 7.62 I just don't see a need for a $2000 plactic rifle. I might be more interested if I was left handed. The .308's specialty is long range accuracy, which other rifles are going to do better than this one.

You could always get a pimped up surplus CETME real cheap and add a scope and still have money left in the bank.

Joe... I sometimes wish you were here in the USA...

I went to a gunshow yesterday.. and one dealer had a Savage "tactical" bolt action, new in the box in .308 for $395. I automatically thought of you bud!

Ugly looking thing...

OK Joe,

Is it me/Sean or the m-14 that is ugly. And as for ugly, I remember going into a bar at 10:00pm & looking at all the ugly women, but by 2:00am, they got real nice looking......... :partysmiley:

For some reason, I'm having a hard time getting enthused over these rifles. For the 7.62 I just don't see a need for a $2000 plactic rifle. I might be more interested if I was left handed. The .308's specialty is long range accuracy, which other rifles are going to do better than this one.

Just based on their pamphlet, the appeal is supposed to be that in a package that is shorter than the typical bolt rifle, the RFB can have a 32" barrel and launch a 210-grain sierra just as fast as the typical rifle launches a 175-grain sierra. For comparison the 32" barrel version is 40" long while your Rem 700 VSF lists at 45.75" with a 26" barrel.

To me the forward ejection system looks really goofy. I envision that tube just jamming up with cases and backing up into the action. It also didn't seem to describe how the bolt was going to generate the necessary ejection force to reassuringly send these cases down that tube.

For some reason, I'm having a hard time getting enthused over these rifles. For the 7.62 I just don't see a need for a $2000 plactic rifle.

Where do you guys see a price?

I don't care what it has to offer, no one's going to buy a $2,000 keltec.

Where do you guys see a price?

I don't care what it has to offer, no one's going to buy a $2,000 keltec.

As far as I know, Kel-Tec hasn't released a price. Apparently $2K is the unofficial talking price. Might be a couple of hundred less by the time they get them out.

I just don't like the magazine behind the trigger for some reason. I don't like the way it looks, and it might be easier to reload, but it would be awkward for me. I would probably get used to it, but then agian, I don't have the cash to think about it right now soo.

What does everyone that's used bullpups think? Awkward or natural?

wouldn't that depend on teh desine, i would guess there are good ones and bad ones.

The AUG takes a little getting used to...but once you are...it's second nature.

I learned the M-4/M-16 after I learned the AUG and I found the 16 a really awkward design simply because by then I was used to the bullpup.

It's what you get used to I suppose.

Here's a video of the carbine version in action.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The rounds are kind of crapped out the front. If you were firing at an upward angle (say, up a hill), would it jam?

Jared

The rounds are kind of crapped out the front. If you were firing at an upward angle (say, up a hill), would it jam?

Jared

Doubt it. I don't know about you, but I can crap up hill with great efficiency.