Sign in to follow this  
SeanMiller

Springfield Trapdoor rifle

1881 trapdoor

So, I went to the gun store yesterday...just checking out what they had, BSing with the guys behind the counter and whatnot.

anyway...By all the muzzel loaders is a rusty old gun that I recognize from one of Browning's rare posts (har), Its an old Springfield trapdoor rifle in 45/70. I pick it up and check the price tag. $250?!? man, thats not bad. Wait, whats this? Not safe to fire, that sucks. A tag on the stock says that the previous owner had REAMED OUT THE BORE TO USE IT AS A SHOTGUN!!

What the hell man? An $80 NEF not good enough for you? Gotta destory a classic gun in the most difficult way possible?

I looked down the bore...smooth and rusty...

Can you even get 45/70 shotshells? I will never understand the constant need to destroy classic guns by 'sporterizing' them.

So, I went to the gun store yesterday...just checking out what they had, BSing with the guys behind the counter and whatnot.

anyway...By all the muzzel loaders is a rusty old gun that I recognize from one of Browning's rare posts (har), Its an old Springfield trapdoor rifle in 45/70. I pick it up and check the price tag. $250?!? man, thats not bad. Wait, whats this? Not safe to fire, that sucks. A tag on the stock says that the previous owner had REAMED OUT THE BORE TO USE IT AS A SHOTGUN!!

What the hell man? An $80 NEF not good enough for you? Gotta destory a classic gun in the most difficult way possible?

I looked down the bore...smooth and rusty...

Can you even get 45/70 shotshells? I will never understand the constant need to destroy classic guns by 'sporterizing' them.

That's a damned shame.

Jared

That's nothing. I've got a pre-war colt SA Army I had made into a tire iron.

Macho999,

You have had waaaay too much turkey today. :rofl:

Can you even get 45/70 shotshells?

Generally..,no. The military made them for a while, but they are very much a collectable cartridge today.

You have to make your own. Sort of the same way you'd load an all brass shotgun shell. You need to make your own wads, as I don't think there's anything available commercially in .458. You also need to figure out something to use as a shot cup ala shotshells made in pistol calibers. Again, i don't know of any in .458. There are a couple of sources out there though, that do give loading data for a 45-70 shotshell. ok>

It is entirely possible that this trapdoor wasn't ruined by some Bubba.

Some Trapdoor Springfields were built as foraging guns with smooth bores, although I disremember just what caliber or gauge they were chambered for.

Checking my books, I see the Model 1881 Trapdoor shotgun, chambered in 20 gauge, with a 26 inch unmarked barrel and a 3/16 inch bead front sight. The forend attaches to the barrel with a screw. The breechblock is marked "1881" in large slanting numerals. The government arsenal made these for hunters and scouts in government service. The serial number should be between 1 and 1376. Value (in an older price guide) is $850 in NRA Antique Good condition and $2000 in NRA Antique Fine.

Quite a few other trapdoor rifles and carbines were altered to shotguns, so if the gun you saw doesn't have all of the characteristics listed, the tag on the gun is probably correct and value is minimal.