Sign in to follow this  
WVdeerHNTR

looking into my mirst ar of some type......

well i got a job at wal mart....... it sucks but its money i only have 1 bill which is 75$ a month

anyway here soon i want a ar of some type i want it to be around 700$ or cheaper im looking at a bushmaster m4a2 that the local gun shop is selling for 699$ any good ? or do you all recommend something else?

Are you opposed to building your own? I believe most ar-15 parts come from the same places and are re-baged by the various manufacturers. I built my first when I was 18 or 19. I had never seen an ar-15 previously except for pictures on the internet. I bought a kit and a stripped lower. Once I had put the parts in the lower receiver I just put the upper on it and snapped it together. Putting the lower together required some punches, a small hammer and a screwdriver. I took my time and put masking tape on the various surfaces of the lower to avoid marring it. Even taking these cautions the assembly took me no more than half an hour. Final cost was somewhere around $550.

If you decide to build I would recommend doing it in a small room with adequate lighting and spread a white sheet on the floor. Losing a 2 cent spring could delay completion of your rifle until a replacement can be shipped.

id try it wheres a website that i can buy everything i need and also is there any online pics of people building one step by step?

thanks

My first build was a J&T distributing. If you buy a "kit" it will come with everything but the stripped receiver which is technically "the firearm" so you have to fill out your come search my house when guns are banned papers.

Some other sites you can look at are model1 sales and M&A parts. I went the kit route on the first one just to make sure I had everything I needed. After you know what is what you can do more builds or just swap out parts as you see fit by buying specialized pieces from various places.

An explanation of how to assmble the lower (with pictures) can be found here

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

i would recomend building one also, i made one from a M&A parts kit. it is not hard, and a lot of fun to talk about the gun you made at the range.

ok guys im looking at a complete lower for 250$ its a ar-15 um what i want to no is how do i no if the uppers will work? and where can i get complete uppers for a good price

ps : do i need a FFL for the upper and lower?

Edited by WVdeerHNTR

What kind of lower? If its bushmaster or anything other than colt most uppers will fit. You only need an FFL for the lower reciever.

I'd recommend just getting a stripped lower and a complete kit, that way their's no worry about having everything you need, and I think you come out on top price wise too.

If you get the full lower, then you have to buy the upper, buy the stock, and make sure the upper will come with everything you need included.

If you just get a complete kit, like from model 1, you can pick and choose every part you want (stock, barrel lenght, barrel type, etc), get it mailed to your house, and know you have everything you need. Then all you have to do is run out and buy a $99 striped lower from somewhere and you're set.

It just seems like things like stocks are much more expensive when you buy them separately like you'd have to for this.

You might be able to shop around and find a better deal, but going the complete kit route + stripped lower seems like the cheapest and most simple way to go, plust you get to customize it all at once.

okay got ya but if i do the upper do i have to get it headspaced?

If you buy the full kit from Model 1, or some of these other places, the upper comes fully assembled and head spaced.

All you do is slap it together, load it up, and you're ready to shoot.

When I was first looking into this I kept thinking there was something I was missing too, but no, it's really that simple.

Building an AK on the other hand.....

ok heres what i was going to do not saying i am now but was ...........

AR15 M16 M4 A3 BUSHMASTER Upper 16.1" BARREL $375.00

NEW BUSHMASTER AR15 AR-15 BOLT ASSEMBLY COMP. $120.00 dont know if the upper comes with it?

AR15 LOWER COMPLETE WITH M4 STOCK Bushmaster............$279.95

now i think thats all i would need? i dunno but im trying to find the parts kits complete but dunno where to get em

the sites are.....

http://www.lonestarwholesale.com/2.html

http://www.ftfindustries.com/ar-15___m-16.htm

This is what I was talking about it being complicated if you don't buy a complete kit.

Just go here: LINK

Click on "kits" and a pull down tab will show up showing you all the different kinds, choose your kind, and choose all it's options.

Here's one I like for example: LINK

Then buy one of these: LINK

After that, all you need is a magazine and some ammo and you're good to go.

Everything from Model 1 can be shipped to your door. The striped lower is the "gun" so it will have to be shipped to a local FFL dealer, just like buying any other gun off the internet.

thank you Tube i plan on going that route now =) umm 1 question tho 5.56mm chamber or .223??????????????

my attempt at an ar15 link/help thread

I wouldnt go with a complete lower when you can get the stripped and the lower parts for about 180.

The lower parts ussually come with a rifle kit.So do the bolt and carrier ( you have to add them at model 1).

EDIT go 5.56, you can shoot 5.56 and .223

Edited by wilsoncomb@tLacky

If you go 5.56 you can shoot .223 through it too. If you go .223 then it's not recommended to shout 5.56 through it.

At least that's my understanding, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And don't worry about all the questions, I had all the same ones myself.

With Model 1 there are so many options that it's hard to tell what the differences are. With that kind of stuff I must've asked a million questions.

There are a couple of other sites like Model 1 that Macho and others recommended. You may or may not be able to find better deals there. I always liked model 1 becase the web site is so organized; with some of the others I'd look forever and finding anything was a pain. Thus, I refer people to Model 1.

Thanks man you all are a bigggggg help so far i have 1 question

sites... i want a removable carring handel...... like this one i want the sites to look like this exactly front and rear with the carry handle ....

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=50307214

If you go 5.56 you can shoot .223 through it too. If you go .223 then it's not recommended to shout 5.56 through it.

At least that's my understanding, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And don't worry about all the questions, I had all the same ones myself.

With Model 1 there are so many options that it's hard to tell what the differences are. With that kind of stuff I must've asked a million questions.

There are a couple of other sites like Model 1 that Macho and others recommended. You may or may not be able to find better deals there. I always liked model 1 becase the web site is so organized; with some of the others I'd look forever and finding anything was a pain. Thus, I refer people to Model 1.

Tube check out the del-ton site, very easy to nav and 2 times the options of mod1. + if you swap the standard option out, you actually get the price of that part discounted off the option you swap in unlike model 1.

Before you say m1 is cheaper look at the kits the reg milspec bolt and carrier is an add on for M1.

Thanks man you all are a bigggggg help so far i have 1 question

sites... i want a removable carring handel...... like this one i want the sites to look like this exactly front and rear with the carry handle ....

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=50307214

Np thats what forums are for arnt they.

For the detatchable handle all you need to do is choose an a3 upper (flat top) and the handle. funny how you can build that so called 1200$ rifle for 600.

ok got it but i dont see a option for the carrying handle and whats a flattop upper with T marks?

or flat top upper with m4 feed ramps?

i no ima pain

what are those thing by the charging handels on the right side that look like buttons?

maybe a forward assist??????

Edited by WVdeerHNTR

del-ton They also have it as an add on the custom kit pages.

mod1

I wouldnt rush into it id figure out what everything means/is before you order. Ive been researching for months

The t-marks are numbered rails it will say t1 t2 t3 probly a good idea if your gone dismount and remount optics as the groovs/bumps are numbered. I plan on using an eotech and flip front and rear sights.So i will go for that option.

The m4 feed ramp thing i havnt figured out yet. The link on ar15 is dead.Maybe tube can elaborate when he is done with the multipul orgasim known as the del-ton site.God its just evil, i want that that that and that ,whoa sticker shock, I dont need that that and that, um lets try this again.

Yes the button is the forward assist.

+1 for Del-Ton

The M-4 feed ramps are just slightly different feed grooves used on the M-4. I believe they are supposed to work a little bit better for feeding soft-point ammo, but as far as I can tell, that's about it. My rifle feeds them fine but it does bang up the noses a bit (not sure if the M-4 ramps would change that).

I'd go ahead and get the T-marks just cause they are free and fairly useful.

allrighty now on to the lower im going to try to get a Bushmaster one any good prices on the web?

or i found a stag one for 99$ will that work?

so do i want a A3 with removable handle

and theres a a3 with NM removable handle?

*sighs* i just want eh back handle to be removable i want the front sites to stay in place

Edited by WVdeerHNTR