Sign in to follow this  
iroc409

too good to pass up, or too good to be true..?

hey guys. just recently got all moved into my new place, and got internet again (yay!)

anyways, i was scoping out a new gun shop, and ran across something i'd not have expected.

i found the nicest enfield no. 4 i've personally ever seen. the rifle is completely pristine... the bluing is as close to 100% as i've ever seen on a 60-year-old gun, and the wood is almost perfect (i noticed one small scratch, but it's pretty minor). the gun could _almost_ be mistaken for something brand new.

i've looked at a few enfields here and there locally, and most of them are pretty worn. even nice ones have had a lot of wear on the bluing. this one has _none_.

the only markings i remember seeing on it were two lines on the left of the reciever that said "long branch 1944". the rest were a few proof marks and such, but i don't recall any other text on it (although i may have missed it).

anyways, they're asking $275 on it, and this shop seems to be pretty good folk (they come highly recommended) and just recently got a real shop.

so what do you enfield guys think? good deal?

thats the going price, check out ClassicArms.us

they have some EXCELLENT condition No4mk1s and HAD some No1mk3s, in the condition you decribed, for about the same price if I recall..

thats the going price, check out ClassicArms.us

they have some EXCELLENT condition No4mk1s and HAD some No1mk3s, in the condition you decribed, for about the same price if I recall..

The Longbranch is a Canadian built No4 Mk1* , Longbranch itself is a town that was pretty well swallowed up by Mississaga Ontario near Toronto . That factory also known as Canadian Arsenal closed up around 1974 .

Along with the Savage/Stevens ( ChickopeeFalls Mass. USA ) built No4's , they're known to be one of the better built WW11 No4 rifles mostly because the Brit factories were under constant bombardment threat from Nazi forces.