Sign in to follow this  
Lagomorph

Ishapore Enfield- Any issues?

I'm thinking of picking up an Enfield Mk.III (not sure if it's III or III*) from my local gun shop. It is realy really nice shape for a price I think is fair ($250). It's not showroom quality, but definetly nice and with just a little bit of cleaning, colud be down right pretty. I believe is Ishapore manufactured with a date of either 1943 or 44. I'm thrown though because the one I've been looking at has what "looks" like GRI stamped, which I believe is an Ishapore mark, but has "ENGLAND" on the reciever ring, so if anyone can tell me what's going on there, that would be nice. But my real question is this: Figuring it is an Ishapore rifle, is there any real quality difference between British and Indian made rifles from that era?

Also, the bolt of the rifle is stiff. My guess is that it is from old oil and build up that needs to be cleaned out, but I'd like to know if it is indicative of some other problem.

Hello? Can anybody help me?

LoL..late reply but I'm new to the forum.

Ishapore rifles have been shunned by some for the rough finish of thier rifles . Quite often , black paint is used on metal and a heavy layer of a dark greasy gunk can be found . A screw that goes through the forestock is also an indication of a Ishy rifle . This screw is supposed to be a support for possible gernade launching .

Ishapore made and repaired many Enfields but made the No1Mklll /Mklll* until somewhere around 1987 .

I have 2 " Ishy's " that are as good as any Enfield I have .

The ENGLAND stamp show's it's been to England and reissued elsewhere .

Is there a "FTR" stamp?

The Ishapore factory also made the 2A and 2A1 , which is a 7.62nato version of the No1Mklll*

I've got one, and the only problem I have had with it is that the magazine won't stay firmly in place and will drop down a bit to where the bolt won't catch the rim of the next round. That really sux, but I think it's a just a mag issue.

BTW- if anyone knows a good source for ishy mags please post it.

I've got one, and the only problem I have had with it is that the magazine won't stay firmly in place and will drop down a bit to where the bolt won't catch the rim of the next round. That really sux, but I think it's a just a mag issue.

BTW- if anyone knows a good source for ishy mags please post it.

How's the magazine catch ?

I'm not sure if your refering to the Ishy No1 or the 2A Rifle series , but either way parts are available. There's aftermarket 10rd. 2A mags

These are some good places with lot's o' goodies... :okay:

http://www.e-gunparts.com

http://www.ssporters.com

Thanks!

I think the mag catch is ok... at least it seems to be. It's a 2A I believe, in .308. Thanks for the links, though it doesn't look like they have any at the moment.

I sure wish Gibbs was still around. I should have bought a Quest II extreme back when they were available. May not be "authentic", but I think you would hav e a hard time finding a better truck gun for under, say, about $1500.

I have one in the Jungle Carbine configuration in 308 cal. The only complaint I have is it kicks pretty hard. It is accurate, good fit and finish. It looks as good as any Enfield I have ever seen in stores or at gun shows and a lot better than most. I paid $150 for mine a number of years ago. I bought it because it was a Jungle Carbine and 308 caliber. I've never had a single problem besides a bruised shoulder. I bought the scope mount for it and mounted a scope recently but I havn't sighted it in yet but it looks pretty cool.

sounds loke we have the same rifles, it kicks worce than anything else i have.

Funny thing about the Enfields, I have had a No 4MK1 and a No1 MK III, and the Ishy. The No4 has never kicked that hard. The No1 kicked like a mule. Same ammo, and by all appearances same basic stock, but drastically different in terms of felt recoil. I don't think the No4 is any heavier than the No1 either.

I can see where the shorty would kick though... Still I'd like to have one in 308. (Since I can't afford a Socom 16)

Edited by macshooter