Sign in to follow this  
Red skittle

Seriously the considering M4

I only only 2 pistols, a Beretta 92fs and her little sister a 950 BS in .25. I've always wanted an assault rifle and I belive now is the time to go out and purchase my own. I was looking into the AK47 but really didn't like it that much, WHen I saw the M4 I instantly fell in love. I am 20 years old and live in florida so I belive purchaseing one on my own would not be a problem. I was wondering how much one of these new can go for at a gun shop ? What brand should I look for ? Any help would be immensly appreciated :c)l:

Howdy, Red. I think a lot of guys here would recommend building your own. It's easy. All you need to do is find a stripped receiver and then check out Model 1 Sales. Look under "Kits". A kit you order from there will include EVERYTHING you need except a stripped lower. You can get a stripped lower for around $100 depending on your location. Keep in mind that if you order a stripped lower, you need to have it sent to an FFL. The kit you order from Model 1 is minus a stripped lower, so no FFL is required.

You're twenty, how did you come into the pistols?

Jared

Build your own, you will save money and get the options that you want. I put my A2 style together for $600, and have over a 1000 rounds out of it. ok>

I only only 2 pistols, a Beretta 92fs and her little sister a 950 BS in .25. I've always wanted an assault rifle and I belive now is the time to go out and purchase my own. I was looking into the AK47 but really didn't like it that much, WHen I saw the M4 I instantly fell in love. I am 20 years old and live in florida so I belive purchaseing one on my own would not be a problem. I was wondering how much one of these new can go for at a gun shop ? What brand should I look for ? Any help would be immensly appreciated :c)l:

uggh... I hate the term "assault rifle", but I guess "tactical carbine" will never catch on with the news so what's the point?

first things first.

If you didn't know, an M4 is illegal to purchase new. M4s are full auto and as such they're heavily restricted. I'm going to guess you're talking about an M4 copy in SEMI only with a 16 inch barrel.

M4 type rifles are made by a dozen different companies. Personally, if I was to go out and get one now I would build it from parts. If you don't feel so inclined (maybe you dont feel comfortable building a rifle yet), I would go with either Stag, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms.

Generally speaking, I good quality M4/AR15 copy should run you about $700 to $900 for generic features (collapsible stock, 16" barrel, A2 upper/flat top, flash suppressor, magazine, sling).

Well I came into the pistols because they were given to me by my parents. I've grown up around weapons and when I turned 19 my father decided to give me my own pistols. I barely shoot it though, in the past 2 years I think I have around 300 rounds through it. I belive I can build my own rifle, not really ure though. What are some other sites that sell kits ? If I build my own rifle I want to add all the bells and whistles I want before I build it. Any well known brands sell kits ?

Edited by Red skittle

I built one a while ago, works great. It's really easy too. You can save a ton of money when comparing to a similarly equipped rifle form a big name.

Good kit places:

JT Distributing:

http://www.jtdistributing.com/

supposed to be one of the best; their webpage is currently useless though

Model 1 Sales:

http://www.model1sales.com/

I've heard mostly good things about them with only a little negative mixed in; alot of people seem happy with them

Del-Ton Inc.

http://www.del-ton.com/

this is where I got mine from; not as well known as the others but has a good growing reputation; I love mine; one of the cheapest places to get aluminum 4-rail handguards as an option

M&A Parts

http://www.m-aparts.com/

I've read a little bit of a mixed review on them; I believe emclean has one of their kits and is very pleased with it

You can also get Rock River kits, but I wouldn't bother. They still charge Rock River prices for basically the same thing as everyone else.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

uggh... I hate the term "assault rifle", but I guess "tactical carbine" will never catch on with the news so what's the point?

"Homeland Defense Rifle"

Jared

"Homeland Defense Rifle"

Jared

I like that better also Jared, too bad I can't edit my post :-: . I am still looking into a homeland defense rifle, I was thinking it might be better if I order everything from one company, like colt. Does colt sell kits ?

Sorry to high-jack your thread Red,but I had a few questions for you guys,I am going for it!!!!!I already have a stripped lower coming from RB precision (superior arms) $97 shipped :coolthumb: and I am doing the rest of my homework on what kit I would like and I am really leaning towards the em-4 16" c.a.r from model 1 sales,and I had a few questions,

!. what are the differances btween the A2 and A3 uppers

2. What is ban compliant and why are some of there listing on kits not ban compliant,and what is the differance

3.and finally (I think)JT Dist. has pre ban and post ban and the question is pretty much the same as #2

thanks alot in advance :plz:

I like that better also Jared, too bad I can't edit my post :-: . I am still looking into a homeland defense rifle, I was thinking it might be better if I order everything from one company, like colt. Does colt sell kits ?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about ordering everything from one company? You mean the parts kit and the lower from the same place? If so, the lower receiver doesn't matter as long as it is mil-spec. Also, whether you realize it or not, most of the rifle kit places use the same parts from the same manufacturers as big names. Most of the guns either come with DPMS barrels, Wilson Combat barrels, or Shaw barrels(what they use on Colts). To a large degree, the same goes for the interal parts. Most of them are coming from the same places, just some places stamp a name brand on it and jack up the price. Part of the reason kits are so much cheaper is that there is a tax charged on the overall price for any company selling a firearm. On an AR-15, the stripped lower is considered to be the firearm by the government. So for example, if you sell a $100 lower as the firearm and the tax is say 15%, then tack on $15 to the price for the government. Now if you sell a completed AR-15(complete lower w/ upper) for $1000, then add on $150 tax the manufacturer has to pay the government. If you just buy the lower and then buy everything else separate, the other parts are not subjected to the tax.

xctweeker,

If i'm not mistaken an A2 upper usually refers to a upper receiver with the permanently attacked carry handle. The A3/A4 designation usually refers to the flat top uppers with Picatinny rails. Pre-ban/Post-ban or non-compliant/ban-compliant just refers to features like flash-hiders, bayonet lugs, and collapsible stocks. Nationally, the ban has expired, but if you live in flaming liberal states such as California or New York, there are still bans in place, often much stricter than the original.

xctweeker,

If i'm not mistaken an A2 upper usually refers to a upper receiver with the permanently attacked carry handle. The A3/A4 designation usually refers to the flat top uppers with Picatinny rails. Pre-ban/Post-ban or non-compliant/ban-compliant just refers to features like flash-hiders, bayonet lugs, and collapsible stocks. Nationally, the ban has expired, but if you live in flaming liberal states such as California or New York, there are still bans in place, often much stricter than the original.

Thanks eldon,I knew that about the uppers,but I didn't know if there were any other differances,and you answered my question.ANd I was looking at the A3 upper with NM sites,and as for LIB states,I live in New Hamphshire LIVE FREE OR DIE state :c)l::usflagtiny:

oh wait I do have one more question,how much did anyone pay for shipping from MODEL1SALES,yes I know it all depends on area of the country,and such,but I am just curious to see what other people have paid........

Edited by xctweeker

Thanks eldon,I knew that about the uppers,but I didn't know if there were any other differances,and you answered my question.ANd I was looking at the A3 upper with NM sights,and as for LIB states,I live in New Hamphshire LIVE FREE OR DIE state :c)l::usflagtiny:

oh wait I do have one more question,how much did anyone pay for shipping from MODEL1SALES,yes I know it all depends on area of the country,and such,but I am just curious to see what other people have paid........

An A3 upper will only be important if you're planning on buying optics for your rifle. If you're fine with M16A2 type iron sights (peep sights), you should be fine with an A2. AFAIK there is no difference between an A3 and an A4 upper. The M16A4 is the M16A3 without the burst limiter IIRC.

a standard A2 or A3 rifle should set you back about $700 to $900 new. If you paid less, then consider yourself to be saving money.

edit:

oops I got em mixed up

1994. Adoption of the latest variations of the M16 breed. Those include: M16A3and M16A4 rifles, with "flat top" receivers, that had a Picatinny accessory rails in the place of the integral carrying handle. The rail can be used to mount detachable carrying handle with iron rear sights, or various sighting devices (Night/IR, optics etc). The M16A4 otherwise is similar to M16A2, while M16A3 has a full-auto capability instead of the 3-rounds burst. Two other newest AR-15 offsprings are the M4 and M4A1 carbines, which are described in the separate article on this site.
from www.world.guns.ru Edited by Gribby

OK..........i have got my lower in,and now I am looking at which kit to get,I am looking at the model1slaes em-4 16" car and this is where I need a little help,I wanted to get an a3 upper,but didnt know if I wanted to get the removable handle with it,as I am looking to put on a scope and didnt want to be stuck with the handle that I had no use for,but my question for you guys is, witht he flat top a3 upper and no handle,is there still a rear site?????

And I read on another thread on here that it will make my life a lot easier to use the multi tool (I think thats what it was) and I noticed that there are a few different kinds of those tools,which one is better than the other,or what should I look for at least

thanks - Steve

OK..........i have got my lower in,and now I am looking at which kit to get,I am looking at the model1slaes em-4 16" car and this is where I need a little help,I wanted to get an a3 upper,but didnt know if I wanted to get the removable handle with it,as I am looking to put on a scope and didnt want to be stuck with the handle that I had no use for,but my question for you guys is, witht he flat top a3 upper and no handle,is there still a rear site?????

nope- the rear sight is the handle. that's why people get the handle or a low profile rear sight.

And I read on another thread on here that it will make my life a lot easier to use the multi tool (I think thats what it was) and I noticed that there are a few different kinds of those tools,which one is better than the other,or what should I look for at least

thanks - Steve

as long as the barrel is already attached to the upper, you shouldn't need any tools. They pretty much all fit together.

http://www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=1104

16" Wilson Arms 1x9 twist, chrome molly barrel

Standard flat top upper

AR-15 bolt and carrier assembly

Standard charging handle

A2 flash hider

AR-15 lower parts kit

M4 6 position buttstock

CAR handguards

Standard gas tube

$475

If you want a multi-tool I would suggest a Leatherman or a Gerber.

Edited by Commissargribb

but my question for you guys is, witht he flat top a3 upper and no handle,is there still a rear site?????

the handle has the sight, but you can get rear sights with out the handle.

I read on another thread on here that it will make my life a lot easier to use the multi tool

the only spicial tool i recomend for building is one to help put in hte frount take down pin. other than that every thing you need is common tools.

the only spicial tool i recomend for building is one to help put in hte frount take down pin. other than that every thing you need is common tools.

Yeah, Em is talking about the "pivot pin" tool. It is WELL worth the five bucks you spend on it. Nothing is worse than trying to find tiny, black parts on brown carpet.

Jared

Nothing is worse than trying to find tiny, black parts on brown carpet.

you cant find it on red carpet at all, i had to fake it till the next gun show...

right!

I forgot that pivot pin can be a bitch and a half.

I think we ended up using a knife to hold the detente back while pushing the pin inside.

Ok thanks for all of your help again.Today I ordered the m-4 A3 upper with the removeable handle,I will be putting better optics in place of the handle,but didnt want to be with out a rear site untill I find the right optics package that I like.

And as for the tool I know excalty what you are takling about now.I thought that it was the multi tool,and its a good thing that I asked,man I wouldve been PISSED.

Thanks again guys,when I get it in and get it all together,I will pst pics.....after a lot of a little alone time with it {luv}

:s&y:

Edited by xctweeker

Ok thanks for all of your help again.Today I ordered the m-4 A3 upper with the removeable handle,I will be putting better optics in place of the handle,but didnt want to be with out a rear site untill I find the right optics package that I like.

And as for the tool I know excalty what you are takling about now.I thought that it was the multi tool,and its a good thing that I asked,man I wouldve been PISSED.

Thanks again guys,when I get it in and get it all together,I will pst pics.....after a lot of a little alone time with it {luv}

:s&y:

have fun man!

I think the A3 with the handle is the best idea. While you're waiting to get a good optic you can practice on iron sights.

sorry to butt in too late but as i've experienced, the red dot on top of the handle works better than replacing it with optics altogether in cqb situations. faster target acquisition. but if this is for precision shots, being lower and closer to the barrel is better.

Nothing is worse than trying to find tiny, black parts on brown carpet.

Jared

How about the tiny brown brass detent itself? I looked at the AR-15.com write-up before I even got my kit, so just looking at the picture I figured a knife would be teh best way to do it. Worked just fine.