Sign in to follow this  
Airwolf

The M-16 Going To Be Retired Sooner

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...aq_goodbye_m_16

In the story on the link the m-16's shortcommings and the M-4's to short barrel may be causing the Army to call for it's replacement after 40 years of service. The next thing in development is the OICW which is still being tested and the maker to be determined.

But they also said that the OICW was never to become a primary infantry arm, with only a couple being used per squad. That probably means they're going to try phasing in the G36 soon. While I have no major complaints with it, I still think that the optics only sight system and absence of good aperture sights will seriously hurt it's performance in extreme environments.

In the story on the link the m-16's shortcommings and the M-4's to short barrel may be causing the Army to call for it's replacement after 40 years of service. The next thing in development is the OICW which is still being tested and the maker to be determined.

Good catch! You beat me to post the story!

Good catch! You beat me to post the story!

Didn't mean to just a by product of staying up late at nights and I just happen to catch it . I have not heard of anything about the H&K G-36 being used to replace the M-16/M-4 . Not taht it wouldn't be good but The Army has certain Specs for purchasing a weapon and one of them has to be that It's manufactured here in the US. So unless H7k Is planing to open a huge plant here and Fn gets the boot as far as the M-16 is concerned then we can believe the G-36 will be the new rifle.

Actually I don't think it's going to be a G36, but rather based on it. The .223 element of the oicw is supposedly based on the G36 action and I've heard that they're going to try and get a full sized version of that into service. Not official information, but it makes sense.

:fir: It appears that their eventual goal is the XM8, which looks to have borrowed greatly from the G36. Basically, it is an even stranger looking G36, only it can almost be called American.

For some reason, their focus seems to be on replacing the M-16/M4, but NOT replacing the 5.56x45 cartridge, which is the basis of most of the complaints about the M-16/M4 rifle.

That OICW, as huge and heavy as it is, is still chambered for the 5.56x45 cartridge.

Who really wants a 20 pound 5.56mm rifle? I thought that the whole point of switching to 5.56mm from the 7.62 was to reduce weight. That OICW weighs over twice as much as a FAL, yet it WAY LESS range.

I have no particular problems with the G36, other than I wonder just how durable it can be, considering the fact that its receiver is plastic, but I don't see adopting the G36, or a derivative, as helping anything. All it would be is spending alot of time and money to develope something we ALREADY HAVE.

If we are going to adopt a new rifle, then we SHOULD ADOPT A NEW CARTRIDGE.

Look at the 6mm PPC and the new 6.5mm Grendel. Either of them would make an excellent new service rifle round.

If we keep the 5.56mm, China will continue to have a better rifle cartridge than we have. -Captain Eddie

6.5 would be a good way to go. With moderately heavy bullets they can get some extremely high ballistic coefficients which would result in a larger point blank range. It wouldn't have much more recoil than a .223, less than a 7.62x39, and it would be small and light.

The only thing about the OICW is they said the target weight is supposed to be around 12-14 pounds. Granted it's better than 20, but that's most likely the weight without the battery packs. All I know is my heavy barreled rifles weigh 12 pounds, and they get a little tiring on long hikes.

HK GmbH already has the Virginia plant, and a new factory to be built in GA is in the works as of now. So looks like the G36 is going to be the new primary light infantry weapon. Really it is quite a bit more reliable then the M16 fam. Infact in Virginia they have a G36K which has fired around 25,000 rnds or so without being cleaned and it hasnt jammed or had to have any parts replaced. The action is alot smoother, it comes with a field 1.5x and a set of pistol sights that are useable as long as you dont have the piggyback mounted red-dot scope, and it's easily reconfigured from Assault rifle to LMG with only minimal assistance from an armorer to the reciever and a C-mag beta. The phasing out of the M-16 will take decades for sure, but I think the G36 is one of the best rifles to take over its job.

Edited by DarkMyst

They could at least give us the real G36 and not that horribly ugly XM-8. I can't believe designers are still trying to make things "look" futuristic. Just cause cars in the 50's had fins didn't mean they could fly.

trying to make things "look" futuristic

:fir: I think you nailed it.

We've come to the point where real technological advances are few and far between, so in order to avoid looking like our technology has stagnated, we, along with most of the Western world, have started making things only look advanced.

Take for example the bullpups. Britain, France, Austria, China, Australia, and even Israel, are adopting bullpup rifles, even though they offer more disadvantages than advantages, simply because they look high-tech.

Russia, on the other hand, has worked for real advancements and improvements with there small arms, as opposed to implied improvements. They're developed the AN-94, which is configured as a conventional rifle, but has a unique two round burst feature that allows two shots to be fired before the shooter feels the recoil, which makes the second shot more accurate, and useful. -Captain Eddie

And don't forget germany with their G11 design. It looks like it was carved from a block of styrofoam, yet boasts the most unique internal design around.

Try this:

Take AR180B and do the following to it:

A. Put a Fobus-style, triple-heat-lined, ventilated hanguard on it as a replacement for the one on it now.

B. Put an AK47-style dust cover over the open space behind the bolt.

C. Chrome-plate the barrel and firing chamber.

D. Make it in 6.5mm Mauser.

E. Design a magazine for it that is based upon the AK47's banana clip design.

VIOLA! Instant new service rifle. B{

:fir: Actually, the AR-18, especially rechambered for something like the 6.5mm Grendel, would be a pretty good service rifle.

Japan's military actually used the AR-18 for a while, until they began using the Howa Type-89. -Captain Eddie

:fir: Currently, the SL8 is the only civilian version of the G36. Unfortunately, it is not capable of accepting high-capacity mags, and has a thumbhole stock, due to import restrictions. Were it made in the US, it could have alot more fun features.

If the military adopts the M8, and gun laws don't get worse, I'm sure that we'll be seeing civilian versions of the M8, which is based on the G36 action.

The SL8's seem to run for a $1000 or more, and I bet that a civilian version of the M8 will cost around $1000, probably just under. -Captain Eddie