Sign in to follow this  
Farmer

Which Bushmaster for Coyotes

Other than the heavy varminter versions, which .223 Bushies should I consider for a lighter weight, scoped, accurate beyond 100 yds coyote hunting rifle?

Probably something with a rail instead of a carry handle so you can get a cheek weld rather than a chin weld.

If you're looking for light weight find something fluted, 20" or 24" inch barrel, and free float handguard. You can get one of the smaller, lighter stocks to save weight also.

Have you ever considered building your own? It's not hard and it will be just the way you want it. You save a lot of money as well. Accuracy is pretty much in the upper. The lower just has your trigger, hammer, sear, that type of stuff.

There are about 101 different trigger options you can go with as well.

If you are looking for lightweight, you could consider the 16" barrel heavy varmint rifles. They'll shoot sub-MOA and will definitely reach out past 100 yards. You won't get quite the velocities of the longer barrels for long ranges, but it's definitely a good weight saver.

I also think you should look into building your own. I'm planning on ordering up a parts kit in the next week or so. If you build your own, from everything I've looked at, you could probably build a free-floated heavy-barrel varminter for $650 or so. You could probably build a 16" lighter-contoured match barreled rifle for about $550 to 600.

Edited by eldon519

Look for fast twist rates, preferably less than 1-9, which will allow you to shoot the 75 grainers and above.

These are the preferred long range bullets.

Saving $$ is a good thing - keeps the wife happier and buys more bullets. Thanks for the good advice, and please keep it coming - I am interested in building my own based on your recommendations. What are the most reasonable & reliable sources for components - where would you go to buy an upper/lower/barrel/stock???

For the upper, your suggestion about no carrying handle to get a cheek weld is great - what about an elevated rail? An 18-20" bull barrel will work for me. I'd like a smooth, light trigger, too.

If you don't want to post a reply, please feel free to email me the info at

medevac08@hotmail.com

Bang for the buck, the ruger is a great gun, but it can't compare to an AR in terms of quality. It's all about how much you want to spend.

If I would you, I would go with all optics flat top A3 design. Minimum 20 in length, heavy stainless steel barrel.

Get a harris bipod.

Go with a two-stage trigger if you can.

A free-floating barrel as well will also lend to better accuracy.

If you know your dealer, have him order a RRA for you. You can customize a complete RRA gun for an amazing price right off of their website, and your only spending a little more if you built it yourself.

But it's a fantastic gun...I have an RRA lower and the trigger is fantastic.

Warlock is right, you can't go wrong with a RRA lower. Their 2 stage match trigger is awesome.

If you're looking for something that'll be accurate at a distance with heavier bullets, go no shorter than 20" and a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel.

A 1:9 twist supposedly won't stabilize heavier bullets very well and

a 1:7 twist will overstabilize lighter bullets like 55 gr.

I have a Bushmaster upper, 20" barrel, 1:8 twist, RRA lower with a RRA match trigger and its a great gun, accurate as can be with light or heavy bullets, but it does like the heavier bullets a bit more.