Sign in to follow this  
M1Marksman

#4 Mk1 Long Branch

I have a 1944 dated Long Branch #4 Mk1 as some of you know. My questions concern the handguards:

Are ALL Long Branch #4 Mk1s supposed to have the grooved rear handguard, or only post-war/'50s manufacture, or the other way around? Was it luck of the draw?

What does MB13 on a front hg mean? Maltby manufacture?

What about milled vs. stamped bands & swivels (difference between war years & post-war)?

I really need to know, since I intend to use some non-LB stamped parts from my #4 to complete my (soon-to-be brother-in-law's)#4 Mk2, Fazakerly. Then, I intend to order some LB-stamped parts for mine in order to realistically portray a "correct" LB Enfield.

Anxiously awaiting some info..... 8>

I have a 1944 dated Long Branch #4 Mk1 as some of you know. My questions concern the handguards:

Are ALL Long Branch #4 Mk1s supposed to have the grooved rear handguard, or only post-war/'50s manufacture, or the other way around? Was it luck of the draw?

What does MB13 on a front hg mean? Maltby manufacture?

What about milled vs. stamped bands & swivels (difference between war years & post-war)?

I really need to know, since I intend to use some non-LB stamped parts from my #4 to complete my (soon-to-be brother-in-law's)#4 Mk2, Fazakerly. Then, I intend to order some LB-stamped parts for mine in order to realistically portray a "correct" LB Enfield.

Anxiously awaiting some info..... 8>

This book has all your answers and more..

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/ncpno4.asp

That information does me no good at all, since I do not own that book. I got all the information I needed with a quick phone call to Russell at Springfield Sporters. Maybe the next time someone has a question, I'll tell them to go buy a book. This forum is for asking & answering questions. If someone does not have an answer, they probably should not offer one.

Apologies for a late reply.

Grooved handguards can be found on any No4 ( be it Brit , Canadian , Savage....) without any rhyme or reason to why.

Basically they were installed on the rifles as they got into the armourers hands.

Apologies for a late reply.

Not a problem, T. This thread is only slightly over a year old.

You should be able to find some Longbranch parts here :

http://www.ssporters.com

Found them there last December. The rifle I was building for my brother-in-law came out great. I used some parts off my Long Branch since they were not Canadian parts. I then bought the correct Canadian parts to finish off mine. I only need a decent forestock now. Mine has the Ishapore screw (sounds like an exotic drink, doesn't it?).

BTW, grooved handguards were only originally installed on British-made rifles. Alot got switched during the rebuild process.