Sign in to follow this  
dblt

Savage Enfield No.4 MkI* ammunition

hey guys, new to the forums! i just recently purchased a savage enfield from a gunshop near me, beautiful condition, for $220. ANYWAYS, i'm confused about the ammunition. i know its .303, but ive heard from sources that the savage enfield requires a .303 SAVAGE cartridge, opposed to a normal .303brit (or .303 rem?). if anyone knows what cartridge the rifle can fire, i'd appreciate it. the owner of the gunshop seemed to readily accept the rifle back for another enfield when i told him that it was a Savage.

I'm curious to what the definitive answer to this is too.

From what I can tell, the Savage marked Enfields shoot .303 Brit.

.303 Savage is a different round than .303 Brit, but the Savage Enfields were not made for the Savage caliber.

That's what it looks like from what I've read, but someone will come along soon and tell you for sure.

Since its a military weapon that was designed to use a standardized ammunition along with the other manufacturers, it makes sense that it would use the .303 Brit & NOT a proprietary cartridge.

Just imagine: Its WW2, someone hands you a brand new Enfield & tells you to go kill some Jerrys. Oh crap, I forgot to special-order some .303 Savage for my new Savage-built Enfield that looks like any other Enfield.... BANG, you're dead.

Haha yeah, me and my father were talking about that earlier! It would be very awkward to be lacking the Americanized .303 for your Enfield made for the British army! Thanks for the help everyone, definitely reassured me on the topic. I'll post some pictures up of my Enfield as soon as I get my brother's digital camera! :rolleyes:

Hell, I wouldn't even bother with a mechanical (aka: gunsmith)

check on a Savage #4Mk.I... If it isn't actually busted, it will

work, and probably better than you think it possibly can.

I was out shooting mine within hours of receiving it, and I figured

the "Holland Tunnel" sights might be a problem. I shot nearly

minute-of-angle first group with Federal 180-grain roundnose!

And that's the flip sight and two-groove barrel, by the way.

These are superb actions. Headspace is a tiny tad--and I DO mean

just a tad--loose by commercial specs, but not as much as

most wartime #4 rifles.[attachmentid=5780][attachmentid=5780]

Haha very nice! I've found out finding ammunition where I live is expensive as hell (Long Island, NY), with the gunshops wanting $25.00 A BOX of .303. It's absolutely bull. I've found some online sites selling the same box for $17.50, or other brands for as low as $10.00/box. If you know of any great places to buy .303 Jim, let me know! ok>

Haha very nice! I've found out finding ammunition where I live is expensive as hell (Long Island, NY), with the gunshops wanting $25.00 A BOX of .303. It's absolutely bull. I've found some online sites selling the same box for $17.50, or other brands for as low as $10.00/box. If you know of any great places to buy .303 Jim, let me know! ok>

those prices arnt outragous..their retarded..theres a difference...you HAVE to have a mental problem, OR be a super rich lawyer type to buy .303 at $25 a box....but thats how it is here upstate NY too...where you pay 50 cents a round for surplus .308....