Sign in to follow this  
Guest yonderway

sticky screws

Guest yonderway

I'm getting my butt kicked here by a SMLE. :b*k:

I've run into my share of sticky screws before, but all will come out eventually with some judicious use of force, combined with liquid wrench and/or a hair dryer (or heat gun).

I picked up a couple of No 4 Mk I* SMLE's and find I can't get them apart for de-cosmoing. Some of the screws like in the trigger guard are in there just so firmly, no reasonable amount of force, liquid wrench, or heat seems to be able to break them free. Both of my SMLE's are doing this, none of my other C&R's to date have done this. I'm going to go on a limb and guess this problem may be more pervasive with some runs of SMLE's that were stored away after WW2. Anyone here run into this? How did you resolve it?

This may be nuts, but we can see what others have to say.

An impact driver tool, used to remove stubborn screws may be the solution. You would first mount the gun firmly in a gun vise. Then select the bit that is a perfect match for the screw slot. Be sure the impact driver is exactly inline with the screw then give it a firm smack with a plastic hammer. If you used the proper bit, and had the gun in the vise firmly then everything should go great.

Edited by Sgt_JarHead

Yup and be sure the impact driver is straight on and well seated into the screw slot before smacking it or you may do a lot of unintentional damage.

How about a screwdriver bit in a 1/4" ratchet wrench, to give you more torque than a regular screwdrier would. It might be best to try that along with the WD40 and blowtorch.

Have the screws been peened? It was commom practice to set a screw.. then peen it with a hammer & punch/chisel to keep it from working loose.

Also... this may sound stupid... but you would be surprised how many people out there mess up a screw because they are not using the correct size driver for the screw.... so make sure you have a driver that fits the screw.

I guess worse case scenario you could use an easy out and then replace the screws.