Sign in to follow this  
haze99

Xm-177e2 Commando

Here is where the M-4 carbine came from, the XM-177E2. Or Colt Model 629 Commando. The troops called it a CAR-15. Not technically the correct nomenclature, but it stuck.

This operator is a Montanguard tribesman, and he as well as others of his tribe served with our Green Berets on SOG teams. That went into Laos and Cambodia.

post-8-1068343421_thumbjpg

That's just the standard flash Suppresor for that type of rifle. Because of the short barrel they had to reduce the amount of flash and sound from it. I think it was 11.5 inches without the flash suppressor. It's considered as if it was part of an NFA weapon so just buying one and adding it to the end of your AR-15 may not be a hot idea in most areas. There are alot better ones wout there now for short barrled Ar's and are fairly cheap. But if you have to have one I have seen them in movies were they had gotten some Ar-15/M-16's with the same sliding stock but a much longer barrel with the same flash supperssor on the end. One of them was the movie "Uncommon Valor" with Gene Hackman.

Thanks ABNINF its one of mine too. I used to get people all the time telling me I looked like the guy that was the pilot of the helicopter way back when I was much younger then and about 60 lbs lighter. After I got out of Active duty I decided that if any name was going to be hung on me from that show it was Archangels,The real power behind the Airwolf Project. Not that I wouldn't mind being the pilot but since I can't fly one I can at least dream,LOL. There are plenty of websites about the show and Tour Of Duty seems to have disapeared untill they reran it on TNT during the late afternnons and now its gone again. Thats ok I still have my VHS copies of that show and the Equalizer and Miami Vice and Airwolf.

Here is a child soldier of the Karen rebel group in Burma (Myanmar) He is holding what everyone seems to misidenitfy as a "XM-177".

This is actually a USAF GAU-5A. (NO forward assist!) Early model, no raised bar around magazine release!

post-8-1074695417_thumbjpg