Sign in to follow this  
machineguneddie

which one

Im getting ready to order my fathers day present and was wondering what some of you guys (& ladies) would want.

I already have a No. 4 Mk 2 and a No. 4 Mk 1 thats been sporterized. I also have a new stock set for a No. 4 Mk 1 (which was bought for the sporterized Mk1 but the barrel had been chopped)

but anyway I really would like to add a Mk 4 to my collection but than again I already have some really nice wood to put on a Mk1.

thanks

eddie

P.S. if I dont get the Mk 1 now, I will have to get one later. (yeah, yeah thats right) LMAO

Get a new barrel for the Mk1 & buy a #1 Mk 3 & a Mk5 Jungle carbine. Put the new wood & barrel on the Mk 1. Now you'll have one of each. Problem solved.

Wait a second....Now you'll have to get a Pattern '14 & a M'17 so you can have the early "Enfields". Collecting is so much fun.

Edited by M1Marksman

I got the #4, it got here friday but I just havent cleaned it yet and actually the wood looks pretty good, just oil soaked. I will probably leave the original wood on it.

and I would love to get a jungle carbine

Edited by machineguneddie

Some day we will ALL have jungle carbines. The world will be a beautiful place.

[attachmentid=5425]All #4 wood will interchange. However, SOG has some fine, fine

US-made #4MkI rifles (Savage), which won't require that step...

These are fine shooters.

There are differences in the rear handguard, but they are cosmetic.

Unless, of course, you have #1Mk.III stuff...that is a WHOLE different

animal. There are some nice Lithgows around, for not much money,

from AIM and others.

They shoot pretty much the same, but #4's have heavier barrels

and will sustain accuracy a bit longer in a string.

Im still not done cleaning this thing yet. what did they use for a preservative? it acts like a mixture of glue and varnish. its some nasty stuff. Ive had the internals soaking in gas for several days. the hoppes wouldnt do anything to it, nor would my "Theds Red" which will cut through just about anything.

the finish on this old war horse is pretty much gone but the barrel would appear to be new inside. and I am trying some new stuff on the wood (kramers best $50 a quart) Kramers Best

Spiffy.

Yea, mine had some serious cosmo problems. But WD-40 alwase worked good for removing cosmoline. try boiling the internals if they are realy bad. that usualy helps to remove stuck-on crud.

I used a steam cleaner on them and the stuff wouldnt budge. soaking in gas for several days seems to be working. acetone seems to work (but I hate the smell of finger nail polish remover) 95% alcohal (everclear) didnt work either.

oh well. hopefully I will be done cleaning tonight. the stock will be a few days since I want to put several coats on it

How are you finishing the wood? I used several coats of linseed oil followed by Howard Feed & Wax wood preservative with citrus. Sweet.