Sign in to follow this  
cetme_str8

xm177 vs. M4

im looking at building another AR for my patrol rifle,something cheap that could be dropped and rained on and used like a mag lite....if needed...the armalite i have is a 20" and is worth a little bit of change so i dont want to keep it in the car...(by the way the reason that i gave yall to by this rifle is the same that i told my wife,we all know that i just want another gun)i want to build it from model 1 sales kits,total cost im looking at around $550 with the parts ill need..

so now to the real question.

should i go with the XM177

or the M4

im not worried about shooting far or pin point accuracy...i have other guns thatll do that..im just looking at the fact that i could sbr the xm177.. other opinions??

im kinda leaning toward the xm177...

135085[/snapback]

Olde School baaaaby..!

ok>

P.S.- get the A3 upper, I have teh A2 and WISH I got the A3...

Olde School baaaaby..!

ok>

P.S.- get the A3 upper, I have teh A2 and WISH I got the A3...

135089[/snapback]

rooster,post me a close up pic of yours if you can..

I would vote for the XM. If I remember right, it is a couple bucks cheaper. Also, since you want to SBR it anyway, you can just cut the XM flash hider off leaving a 12.5" barrel and put on a Phantom.

Have you asked Model 1 if the XM flash hider has threads under it? I would think that it would make a difference so you don't have to pay to have it threaded when you SBR it.

Chris

I would vote for the XM. If I remember right, it is a couple bucks cheaper. Also, since you want to SBR it anyway, you can just cut the XM flash hider off leaving a 12.5" barrel and put on a Phantom.

Have you asked Model 1 if the XM flash hider has threads under it? I would think that it would make a difference so you don't have to pay to have it threaded when you SBR it.

Chris

135094[/snapback]

yeah it has a 11.5" barrel that is threaded then pinned and soldered over the pin..

Those kits look very interesting. What's it take to complete them? I've built a few muzzleloaders, got pretty good mechanical skills, could I put one together, or do you need special tools like a mill or lathe?

Those kits look very interesting. What's it take to complete them? I've built a few muzzleloaders, got pretty good mechanical skills, could I put one together, or do you need special tools like a mill or lathe?

135141[/snapback]

You just need a stripped lower. They go for between $90 and $150, depending on the brand.

Jared

135141[/snapback]

their are special tools youll need...for about $100, if that, you can buy all the tools needed to build one.

their are special tools youll need...for about $100, if that, you can buy all the tools needed to build one.

135155[/snapback]

Can someone post a list, pictures, and explanation of what these tools are? Ooh, prices would be nice, too!

Jared

the only tools you really need to put together one of Model Ones kits, is the pivot pin detent tool & a stock wrench other than that its a breeze to put one together

tools.gif

Thanks MGEddie, I guess that's what I wanted to know as far as tools go.

So, if I'm understanding this right, most or all the AR type receivers are (or should be) made to a dimensional standard. They should be able to be mixed and matched. I could buy a forged receiver, from a reputable source, and then get one of these other parts kits and just start screwing things together like an erector set or something? Having dealt with muzzleloaders, where you have to re-work the lock and inlet the stocks, and do all the varnish and blueing/browning of the metal, this sounds like a good weekend project once the parts have all been acquired!

What if one doesn't care for the .223, and wants one in .308? Do you need a different receiver, or is it just the upper and barrel that need to be changed?

more and more intrigued,

ma2fish

Here ya go Cetme_Str8

post-3037-1108694393_thumb.jpg

post-3037-1108694406_thumb.jpg

post-3037-1108694444_thumb.jpg

post-3037-1108694495_thumb.jpg

post-3037-1108694826_thumb.jpg

Oh, and I'm stealing your M203 idea for my XM!!!

Edited by Rooster

Thanks MGEddie, I guess that's what I wanted to know as far as tools go.

So, if I'm understanding this right, most or all the AR type receivers are (or should be) made to a dimensional standard. They should be able to be mixed and matched. I could buy a forged receiver, from a reputable source, and then get one of these other parts kits and just start screwing things together like an erector set or something? Having dealt with muzzleloaders, where you have to re-work the lock and inlet the stocks, and do all the varnish and blueing/browning of the metal, this sounds like a good weekend project once the parts have all been acquired!

What if one doesn't care for the .223, and wants one in .308? Do you need a different receiver, or is it just the upper and barrel that need to be changed?

more and more intrigued,

ma2fish

135193[/snapback]

yes all reputable manufacturers of AR lowers build them to a standard dimension (they're competing for military contracts) it was so simple to put mine together. took me an hour maybe.

as far as a .308.... I dont know

Here ya go Cetme_Str8

Oh, and I'm stealing your M203 idea for my XM!!!

thanks for the pics,and you can buy a 203....they'dl ook good together

back to the original question...

I'd go w/ the m4. w/ the flash hider, they're about the same length, but w/ the m4, you get more bbl, which = better accuracy.

If you really want a wild ride (And definately an SBR) get the 7 1/2" Shorty upper with a collapsable stock, that thing would look unreal!

i think it is a diffrent recever, upper, and bbl, the 308's are longer.

back to the original question...

I'd go w/ the m4. w/ the flash hider, they're about the same length, but w/ the m4, you get more bbl, which = better accuracy.

135242[/snapback]

i have a 20" barrel and many others for accuracy..i wouldnt shoot this past 50yds.it wouldbe morefor CQB.