Sign in to follow this  
BigB32

Want to get an AR but many questions?

I have been looking around for an AR at many local place but I can find anything for less than $1000. After reading some posts on here I have seen many of you guys build your own for about $500-650. So here are my questions.

1.If I get a kit, all I need is a stripped lower reciver right? (most kits come with a sotck and pistol grip?)

1. Best place for a kit that come assebeld. I want the m4 look with a 16" or 11" with the longer flash hider. barrell On the internet? I have looked at model 1 sales but not sure what to get, with the different options , the sights? and I would like a removable carry handle which one is that?

2.What part has to be pre-ban for the rifle to be considered pre-ban so I can have the M4 telliscopic and collapsible stock , the flash hider(If I get a pre-ban lower reciever will that make it pre-ban)?

3.Do you have a gunsmith put it together for you or do you do it yourself? I am very good with fixing things and takeing things apart and putting it back together. I like doing this too. I have a gunsmith who would put it together, just might be fun to do it myself.

4. How do these compare to the other ARs like the Bushmasters and Colts. Are they safe if put together properly?

I love the look and feel of the ar but really dont know much about it.

I know its alot of questions, thanks guys

there are others here who know more than me and I'm sure they will chime in but heres my $.02 worth

If I get a kit, all I need is a stripped lower reciver right? (most kits come with a sotck and pistol grip?)

correct. everything else is provided and even the upper is put together all you have to do is put the internal parts in the "stripped" lower

1. Best place for a kit that come assebeld. I want the m4 look with a 16" or 11" with the longer flash hider. barrell On the internet? I have looked at model 1 sales but not sure what to get, with the different options , the sights? and I would like a removable carry handle which one is that?

Model 1 Sales M & A Parts or you can look on Gun Broker or Auction Arms and there are others out there. (mind went blank)

What part has to be pre-ban for the rifle to be considered pre-ban so I can have the M4 telliscopic and collapsible stock , the flash hider(If I get a pre-ban lower reciever will that make it pre-ban)?

preban refers to the stock and flash hider. preban parts will fit on any lower.

Do you have a gunsmith put it together for you or do you do it yourself? I am very good with fixing things and takeing things apart and putting it back together. I like doing this too. I have a gunsmith who would put it together, just might be fun to do it myself.

virtually anybody can put these together. you will be amazed at how easy it is.

How do these compare to the other ARs like the Bushmasters and Colts. Are they safe if put together properly?

the fit and finish on my Model 1 Sales kit is as good as if not better than my Colt

all I can add is..... get one, you wont be disappointed.

its all good

:c)l:

.If I get a kit, all I need is a stripped lower reciver right? (most kits come with a sotck and pistol grip?)

coorrect, all you will need is a striped lower, the kist come with all of the lower parts, and an assembled bolt carrer, and upper.

Best place for a kit that come assebeld. I want the m4 look with a 16" or 11" with the longer flash hider. barrell On the internet?

check the good guy lists, there is M&A parts (who i have used) mod 1, and others i cant think of.

I would like a removable carry handle which one is that?

that is a flat top, or A3

2.What part has to be pre-ban for the rifle to be considered pre-ban so I can have the M4 telliscopic and collapsible stock , the flash hider(If I get a pre-ban lower reciever will that make it pre-ban)?

the law has sunset, there is no more pre-ban / post-ban, it no linger matters when the lower was made (subject to local laws)

3.Do you have a gunsmith put it together for you or do you do it yourself? I am very good with fixing things and takeing things apart and putting it back together. I like doing this too. I have a gunsmith who would put it together, just might be fun to do it myself.

do it your self, there are reffrance web sights we can show you.

How do these compare to the other ARs like the Bushmasters and Colts.

cost a lot less

Are they safe if put together properly?

i have not had any problems there with mine.

thanks for the info guys, I just should had made one of my questions more clear. I still have a ban, I live in NY so I cannot have a telescopic stock, flash hider, or folding stock. But if these parts were made before 94 can I use them? I cant use a new telescopic stock. But if it was made before 94 I can use it? The way I read it, is that I can used any banned part on my rifle as long as it was made before 94. Am I right? Or if the reciver is preban I can use a new telescopic stock and flash hider? I am kind of confused about this. Sounds like its easy to put together. I used to work on my camaro before I sold it, and have taken cars interiors completely appart to install audio systems and other work. So this shouldnt be too hard. Is there any special tools needed?

I still have a ban, I live in NY

i have no idea, and do not want to stear you wrong, i would recomend asking a LOE what the requirements are for what you want.

So this shouldnt be too hard. Is there any special tools needed?

the only tools i used were my leatherman, a punch, and some masking tape. it is easy.

neather of us are from NY, i would rather send him to someone who knows, and not guess.

I have aquestion to chime in with......

I want an AR to play with more than anything. Has anybody just bought a stripped lower and taken their time putting it while they were saving for an upper?

Obviously this is kind of what I want to do! :c)l:

:thnks:

I have aquestion to chime in with......

I want an AR to play with more than anything. Has anybody just bought a  stripped lower and taken their time putting it while they were saving for an upper?

Obviously this is kind of what I want to do! :c)l:

:thnks:

116699[/snapback]

normally the internal parts for your stripped lower are included with your parts kit.

but then again you can always order a lower parts set and have it all put together for when you get your parts kit.

If I am reading the NY law correctly. I need to use a preban reciever, stock, flashider and magazines. What about the barrell and upper assembly? Or everything on the rifle has to be pre-ban? I saw this post of a guy selling a preban lower for $485. Why so much?

If I am reading  the NY law correctly. I need to use a preban reciever, stock, flashider and magazines.  What about the barrell and upper assembly? Or everything on the rifle has to be pre-ban? I saw this post  of a guy selling a preban lower for $485. Why so much?

116872[/snapback]

I dont know, maybe there are gold parts included.

you can usually get a lower parts set for around $50 and the lower for approximately $100

But I need a preban right? If I want the real M4 stock and flash hider. I live in NY. Maybe that guy is just jacking up his prices trying to sell it to people in the states still with the ban.

he is reising the price for it being a COLT, and a bre-ban, they are not making any more of theose.

I bought an RRA lower and a Bushy M4-type upper. It shoots like a dream - very accurate. I paid 900 for it, but there was a mark up here in IL because there was talk about us having our own AWB.