Sign in to follow this  
macshooter

To chrome or not to chrome

Been doing some scuba divin for info in this forum, got the other browser window open on threads from back in May of 2003.... Anyway, here's what I gather.

Chrome lined = high durability and not so good accuracy.

Stainless = good accuracy, wears faster

Chrome Moly = the good stuff

Normal = Well... normal

1:I'm leaning toward the non-chrome normal barrel, but I thought I'd get some opinions about it. My guns don't rust. -'nough said. I expect around 1" @ 100yrds. with 55 -65 gr. bullets in a 1 in 9 twist . It should shoot as good as my AK, that's all. Can chrome do that? Also, where's the chomemoly stuff? (model 1 doesn't have any -is it really expensive or something?)

2: I like the idea of the A3 with a removable handle, but won't the big honkin frontsight get in the way of a low mounted red dot? If so then what's the point of a low mount? Why not just pop it on top of the a2 handle. (!) I guess I could live with the front sight being there as long as the red dot is above it. Experience please....

Thanks. I'm goin back down for awhile....

Edited by macshooter

I don't beleive that chrome lined AR rifles are less accurate. That has not been my experience in this matter.

You have a 1 MOA AK? Not sure what you meant by as good as your AK.

1" groups may be possible with match ammo from these rifles, but not realistic. If this level of accuracy is your needs, I would look into the 24" Bull/varmint barrels.

The Cro/Moly is the "standard" barrel used on many kits. It is a steel alloy used in barrel making. The Chrome lined barrels are machined from Cro/Moly steel.

Hope this helps,

-Thed

I don't beleive that chrome lined AR rifles are less accurate. That has not been my experience in this matter.

You have a 1 MOA AK? Not sure what you meant by as good as your AK.

1" groups may be possible with match ammo from these rifles, but not realistic. If this level of accuracy is your needs, I would look into the 24" Bull/varmint barrels.

The Cro/Moly is the "standard" barrel used on many kits. It is a steel alloy used in barrel making. The Chrome lined barrels are machined from Cro/Moly steel.

Hope this helps,

-Thed

114107[/snapback]

Yes it does help. I have a vepr. That's what I mean by AK. I'd be satisfied with 1 - 1.5 @ 100yds I'll bet you the vepr will shoot inside 2" easy, but I don't have a scope or even a base to help me prove it. I just expect the AR to perform as well as the vepr @ 100 that's all I mean. Looks like you're pretty well qualified to answer that question for me.....

If you say the chrome lined barrels are good I'll take you word for it. I was kinda hoping to get your opinion anyway. Just some stuff I found digging around in really old threads. That's why I brought it up .... Thanks.

A3 upper + normal front sight question anyone......?

post-4402-1099838781_thumb.jpg

post-4402-1099852301_thumb.jpg

Edited by macshooter

Some people dont like mounting stuff on top of the carry handle because it is so high.

You could get a flip up front sight instead of the regular front sight base, but it costs more.

It all depends on what kind of red dot scope you have, you may be able to get the red dot to co-witness with the iron sights but you have to shop around and find one and a mount that specifically says you will be able to use both at the same time if that is what you want.

Some people dont like mounting stuff on top of the carry handle because it is so high.

114116[/snapback]

Yup.

You could get a flip up front sight instead of the regular front sight base, but it costs more.

114116[/snapback]

Yup.

I don't really want this to turn into a $1000 $uper badda$$ AR with all kinds of $tuff hanging off it. I'm just looking to get my feet wet in the AR world and give the vepr some company. Maybe if I like it I'll move on to something "tactical." You know how it goes.... Looks like a 16" CAR A2 with chrome lined bore and M4 stock at this point.... That's a pretty nice AR -for a beginner.....

Edited by macshooter

One thing I'm planning for just starting with my AR is just using the carry handle for now. Get iron-sights like I like, and later if I want to, I would switch to a setup like the RRA DEA officers gun, which co-witnesses the red-dot with the flip-up rear sight. I also am thinking of putting a scope on it in the future, so I got lots of ideas. But for starting out and getting your feet wet, something like that is a good idea.

Yes it does help.   I have a vepr. That's what I mean by AK.  I'd be satisfied with 1 - 1.5 @ 100yds  I'll bet you the vepr will shoot inside 2" easy, but I don't have a scope or even a base to help me prove it. I just expect the AR to perform as well as the vepr @ 100 that's all I mean.  Looks like you're pretty well qualified to answer that question for me.....

If you say the chrome lined barrels are good I'll take you word for it. I was kinda hoping to get your opinion anyway.  Just some stuff I found digging around in really old threads.  That's why I brought it up ....  Thanks.

A3 upper + normal front sight question anyone......?

114111[/snapback]

Ahhhh!

No problem on the VEPR. I own a 20" model VEPR II in the same caliber and I can keep sub 4MOA with steel cased surplus. Aren't they cool! I would imagine with commercial brass cased ammo, it can perform even better.

When someone says that they can keep 1" +/- groups with something generically labeled as an "AK" it a little fishy without more information. I'm sure you understand. For example, The chance of a 1 MOA SAR-1 is rather slim. :D It was not coming to mind that you were the same poster talking about a VEPR elsewhere.

WebVEPRII.jpg

If you want a good AR, and are the kind of person that scopes everything, get a flat-top. I'm not.

If you want to keep the rifle under a budget and get skill at old school iron sights, I would suggest a standard A2 with fixed carry handle. If you want to splurge the extra bucks for a chrome line barrel thats cool, but not crucial. I own chrome lines, cro/moly only, and stainless. All do extremely well.

-Thed

Edited by Thed