Sign in to follow this  
SBHShooter

Took the plunge.

Well, I went to Model 1 today and decided to order their "Pre-ban" C.A.R. kit with a flattop and carry handle. But, they didn't take my credit card.

So I just went to M&A and got the same thing for $10 cheaper, so HA! Should be here any time, I'll just keep my eyes out for a local lower I can get, I don't feel like dealing with transfer stuff if I don't have to. If I do order one, I'm just thinking of about $100 for it, $20 transfer from CTD, and I'll have a new gun :beer:

Well, I went to Model 1 today and decided to order their "Pre-ban" C.A.R. kit with a flattop and carry handle. But, they didn't take my credit card.

So I just went to M&A and got the same thing for $10 cheaper, so HA! Should be here any time, I'll just keep my eyes out for a local lower I can get, I don't feel like dealing with transfer stuff if I don't have to. If I do order one, I'm just thinking of about $100 for it, $20 transfer from CTD, and I'll have a new gun :beer:

113549[/snapback]

Awesome. If you have a camera, take some step by step photos for us. I will probably "take the plunge" into an AR in the next year or so. They look so cool, but...well, I don't know what the negative is, but...hell, I'll probably just buy one. Anyone have suggestions on which one is "best" for the cheapest?

Jared

I didn't think of that, but will do. The pics I mean.

I wasn't going to buy it at first, since JReeves has a great deal on Savage 10's with the McMillan stock, but that total was going to be over 1K, gotta have a good scope to go with it of course. So new plan is to get a lower for ~100, making this all told to be ~650 with all the stuff I bought, and then buying a 10/22 as well. Try to get as much versatility as I can. I'll talk to Admin about hosting pics for me to make a lower assy. sticky thread with step-by-step pics ok>

Thanks for the idea.

BTW, the M&A kit looks to be great bang-for-the-buck. They advertise all kits as Wilson Match barrels (would you like a grain of salt with that?) But I'll tell you what I really think when it gets here.

BTW, the M&A kit looks to be great bang-for-the-buck. They advertise all kits as Wilson Match barrels (would you like a grain of salt with that?) But I'll tell you what I really think when it gets here.

113574[/snapback]

I thought my M&A kit was good. I just built mine last week. Shoots great. I just need better mags.

Chris

Did you get the M&A mags? I havent bough't any yet, but I'm wondering if I should get their mags (leery) or try to find some in a gun store.

Did you get the M&A mags? I havent bough't any yet, but I'm wondering if I should get their mags (leery) or try to find some in a gun store.

113606[/snapback]

No, I got some English mags locally. The english ones have done well. However, at the last gun show I got some USA blued 40 rounders. They suck big time. I will never, under any circumstances buy them again. Besides the fact that the feed lips are too small and allow the rounds to "pop" out the top, the front is curved in and the front of the rounds hang up when loading the mag. I may try modifying them before throwing them away but I definitely won't buy them again.

Chris

Also, does anybody have any information about Stag receivers? I'm leery about trying out such an unknown (to me) brand.

113607[/snapback]

I have no personal knowledge about Stag receivers but when researching before building mine I noticed that the people who posted on the net about problems always had a receiver that was not one of the major brands. ie, bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, colt, etc. This is not to say they are all going to be problems but this was my observation. I got a DPMS locally from CMMG for $105 out the door. I had 0 problems with it. Also, CMMG builds very nice stuff and I trust what they sell. Though, I am lucky as they come to a local gun show and I can buy from them face to face.

Chris

congrats on your purchase, you wont be dissapointed ok>

everything Ive read on Stag Arms is that they are a manufacturer for other brands and started making them with their own name on them here recently. Eagle Firearms sales them and they speak highly of them.

Stag_stripped_lower.jpg

they look like quality products.

for more information go to Eagle Firearms

also the deer looks kinda cool on there

and 85(bucks) is pretty cheap

eddie :c)l:

I live about a mile from CTD, so I'm just going to make a big purchase next week when I get the rest of my money and get a DPMS (in stock) some Wilson mags, and a box of ammo (500 maybe?), and probably a range bag too. Oh, and maybe a 10/22 :smile:

I look forward to your "How To" thread.

We have had alot of discussion about gun-related and "How To" topics. We wish to encourage our members to create works that can be helpful for others looking for information.

If you need any help, let us know ok>

If you are looking for good magazines, I would wait for a Dallas Market Hall Gunshow. There is a vendor there which has given me great prices on Thermold and Orlite mags during the AWban. Now that the ban is over, I imagine he will be stocking USGI magazines. I plan to purchase quite a few at the next show, as well as a few others I know. Perhaps you would get a few mags for now, and when the show comes get in on group bargaining power.

-Thed

Thanks Thed. As far as shows go, what about this Sunday in Ft. Worth? I'm not in a huge rush, but I don't even think I have the funds this weekend. The 28th shows to be the next Dallas show, that's a pretty long time. I'm hoping Wednsday I'll be able to get it together, but it may be more like Thursday (daaaaaaaaammit)

I'd definitely be interested in a buildup how-to thread. I'm almost ready to start ordering parts for my own AR.

I'd also love to go with a group to any of the upcoming shows in this area. :D

Edited by animator

I'd definitely be interested in a buildup how-to thread.  I'm almost ready to start ordering parts for my own AR.

113867[/snapback]

This forum could use it's own, but there are several around, AR15.com has a few. Looks super easy. I'm gathering $$$ to do it myself, and I've only touched an AR twice in my life, and within the last few months - that's how easy it looks. I've never really had much intrest in evil "assualt" weapons before. But after experiencing the ban, and the reality of stupidity. I'm going full steam ahead. Funny how that works, huh.

congrats on your purchase, you wont be dissapointed  ok>

everything Ive read on Stag Arms is that they are a manufacturer for other brands and started making them with their own name on them here recently. Eagle Firearms sales them and they speak highly of them.

Stag_stripped_lower.jpg

they look like quality products.

for more information go to Eagle Firearms

also the deer looks kinda cool on there

and 85(bucks) is pretty cheap

eddie :c)l:

113619[/snapback]

That's a stripped receiver? That's it? Cool... Need to build an AR. I wish I had $600 sitting around.

Jared

Yep, that's a stripped receiver. Deosn't come with anything else except for the shell of the receiver, hence, stripped.

Yep, you need to build an AR

everybody here needs to build one...... LOL

113957[/snapback]

To hell with building one. I'm going to build two. Or maybe three. Well, and an extra so four.....

I can't stop.

Chris

Well, got the kit in the mail today. They forgot the carry handle, so I'll have to wait a couple of days on that. Still no lower though, waiting in cash (and chomping at the bit :drul:)

I'l probably start my assy. guide today with a list of all the parts and tools needed. ok>

Well, got the kit in the mail today. They forgot the carry handle, so I'll have to wait a couple of days on that. Still no lower though, waiting in cash (and chomping at the bit :drul:)

I'l probably start my assy. guide today with a list of all the parts and tools needed. ok>

115408[/snapback]

Awesome! Looking forward to reading it!!!

Jared

everybody here needs to build one...... LOL

yep, one 24', one 20' (got it), one 16', and one pistol.