Sign in to follow this  
RedRyder21

Mini-14 accuracy

I love the looks and versatility of the Mini-14. I have seen a few mini-14's for sale that are very affordable. The set-back is I have heard alot of people say they are not very accurate and have barrel problems.

Also I have heard the non-ruger clips don't work very well!

Anybody have any input?

I love the looks and versatility of the Mini-14. I have seen a few mini-14's for sale that are very affordable. The set-back is I have heard alot of people say they are not very accurate and have barrel problems.

Also I have heard the non-ruger clips don't work very well!

Anybody have any input?

113331[/snapback]

I have both a Mini-14 and Mini-30 and love them for what they are, rifles that can accurately hit to about 100 yards. I have had no mechanical or accuracy issues with either. If you are looking for a rifle to take to the 100 yard range or to clear a pesky varmit problem, then the Mini-x is just fine. If you are looking for 'sniper' rifle quality look elsewhere.

As for magazines, try to stick with factory mags. I have a few hi-caps from other manufacturers and have had to replace the spring and follower just to get some reliability out of them, yet my factory mags have never failed me.

ditto the above. i own a mini-30 and love it. i have it in a bullpup kit and it made it just that much more fun.

"The polymer the cops use in there guns... Our sheriff dept are all staffed with M-14 with two mags... The down side is they wear out fast, little flimsy. Buy good quality mags and you should be fine."

Hi Mark,

What poly mags do you recommend?

I can replace a lot of mags if I ever have to.

Thanks!

Here's my two cents worth. The mini-14 is good for what is was made for. And yes I do own one. I think that I did happen to get one of the better ones. They normally don't shoot real tight groups. Here's what I did to mine and it now shoots 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I put a muzzle break and a scope. It brought my 5" groups down to 2 1/2" Next will be a bedding job. That should cut my current groups in half.

On older Minis:

Cut and crown barrel/add heavy Muzzle Brake

send trigger group to Williams Trigger Specialities

install GG&G picatinny rail and quality scope

install buffers

Polish bolt and receiver

Install Accu-Strut

Bed action

shoot quality ammo

On older Minis:

Cut and crown barrel/add heavy Muzzle Brake

send trigger group to Williams Trigger Specialities

install GG&G picatinny rail and quality scope

install buffers

Polish bolt and receiver

Install Accu-Strut

Bed action

shoot quality ammo

:nopics8yz:

Mini 14 accuracy. I bought a 180 series M14 in 1976 and have fired 5000 rds. This is the reciever open sight model. 100 yd. groups are 3.5" today, but were 2" when new. the orig. 20 rd. Ruger mags bought in 1976 have never failed and are like new today. Other 30 rd non-ruger mags don't last. I have two mini 14 ranch rifles(scopes are mounted on the included rings). They only group 5-5.5" at 100 yds. All my mini 14's have never failed with ruger mags, and the older mini 14 only had the extractor break. I like the mini 30's also. I have two and find the scoped accuracy to be about 4-4.5" at 100 yds. The USA 30 rd mags shoot O.K. If you want accuracy the bolt .223's can't be beat.

My mini ranch is a series 187

my mini 30 ranch is 189

The 187 was much easier to make shoot well; chop barrel add BC MB, acu-strut trigger job and it will shoot 2.5MOA all day long with cheap ammo.

The 189 was a bitch, but I did the same work and got near same results with russin Golden Bear ammo.

$300 and any old style Mini can shoot good!

My DPMS AR shoots 2MOA but it has a tiny extractor and shits where it feeds, is not as ergonomic, dirt critical and hates left handers!

The Mini eats dirt like an AK,has a huge extractor (steel cased ammo.

Is totaly happy with Left hand operator.

Does not foul, even with cheap ammo (but likes brass cased ammo).

Will take Picatinny rails.

Factory mags are expensive, but some after mkt mags (not Eagle) work.