Sign in to follow this  
emr454

New To AR15's

I'm seriously thinking of buying an AR15 and I was wondering which one to buy that would be the best deal for my money. I really don't want to spend more then $650 if at all possible. Can I get a quality AR15 for this price? Which brand is the best quality? Are the Olympic Arms AR15's any good? Thanks in advance for any info.

Eric

best quality i'd say is a toss up between colt, armalite and bushmaster. colt's i hear are sometimes a little screwy on their parts tho. you couldn't go wrong with any of those, but i'd sure as hell want to know where you can get any of those for $650.

oly, rock river arms, i don't have experience with, but i hear they're decent. the oly's are great plinkers.

i have an armalite 16" flat top, love it. i paid i think $860 for, msrp i think is $1100 or so. armalites and bushys are usually pretty close in price.

what you might consider is if you can get some good deals on lowers (put together or assembled). armalite has most of their complete uppers around $500, if you could get a decent lower together for $150, you've got yourself a deal. i'd guess street price $300-400 on the complete upper.

if you do want to put one together from scratch, there are a lot of kits to be had out there around $400-500, which includes everything but the stripped lower. lowers can usually be had for $90-150, depending on brand.

i think my dealer said he could get me into a 20" a2 armalite for $700-750, if you can squeeze a bit extra out.

i've never put together an ar, but i hear it's pretty easy. you'd probably need to get a couple of tools, but they shouldn't run you that much.

build your own, there are web sights to help, look up M&A, or J an d (something) in the good guy list. if you get a kit all you will need is a striped lower.

M & A Parts

Model 1 Sales

are the best ones I beleive

71463555.jpg

heres mine from model 1 sales... 16" C.A.R. with stainless steel barrel $450 and a Bushmaster lower which was $185 (I could have gotten an Olympic Arms lower for $120 but couldnt wait :drul: LOL)

took me about a half an hour to put together. :c)l:

M & A Parts

Model 1 Sales

are the best ones I beleive

71463555.jpg

heres mine from model 1 sales... 16" C.A.R. with stainless steel barrel  $450 and a Bushmaster lower which was $185 (I could have gotten an Olympic Arms lower for $120 but couldnt wait :drul:  LOL)

took me about a half an hour to put together.  :c)l:

113380[/snapback]

Nice job on yours. :c)l:

Original poster; I would definitely look at building your own. If you have questions there are several of us on this forum who have just done it for the first time. It is very easy and you'll be able to say you put it all together. Also, you know how it is put together so repairs and the inevitable upgrades go easier.

Chris

Well, that does it. I'm building an AR. Damn this forum!!!! :<rt:

j/k

P.S. could you post links for build-up info. I've never had an AR so the gun is totally new to me. I gotta school myself on it. Thanks!

Found one, more welcome:Brian Lane

Another: ar15.com

Edited by macshooter

What can I say... it was just a short while ago when you were restricted on what type of AR's you can have. Miniumum sale was $700. How days have changed.

RRA is very reputable. Oly's can have tight tolerances at times.

Here are some step by step instructions on how to assemble the lower receiver...

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

I'd highly recommend buying a complete upper receiver.

I have been thinking about building one in 7.62x39 in a CAR/M4 set up. CDNN has and I hope other American companies will make hi-cap magazines again.

Or building another 75gr HP thrower in an AR15A2 with a 1in8" Stainless and National Match Sights.

Or an SP1 retro look AR with the triangular handguards.

Not sure. Ohio Ordnance's new FN-FNC clone has my attention these days.

-Thed

Or building another 75gr HP thrower in an AR15A2 with a 1in8" Stainless and National Match Sights.

-Thed

113474[/snapback]

What do you have to do special on an AR to make it throw hollow points? (sorry if thats an ignorant question, I suspect it might be. P.S. good info sites appreciated if there are any you can think of not already posted.)

Edited by macshooter

I built my Stainless CAR/M4 kit with a 1 in 8 " barrel with the intent that I wanted a carbine to fire the more heavier .223 rounds. Recently I tried out the 75 gr. Hornady match HPBT that was remanufactured by the Maine Cartridge company. It performed very well. My plan for this carbine was to make a right rifle which could shoot the heaviest .223 I could find without modification to the action. Thus I went with the 1 in 8" twist as opposed to the 1 in 9"

The two common grades of 5.56/.223 ammo is either the 55gr or the 62gr.

The most common rifle twists for the AR are:

1 in 14" usually a varmit barrel for less than 55gr

1 in 12" 55gr

1 in 9" a general purpose twist for 55gr and 62gr. I would suggest this for a 1st AR

1 in 8" 55gr will still work, but groups widen up. 62 gr works well as does the 75gr

1 in 7.7" Kreiger A match twist. Typically coupled with heavier custom handloads

1 in 7" which was used for the 62gr and heavier. I beleive the US Army switched to this for awhile when the SS109 was developed, but switched back to the 1 in 9" for more versitility in available ammo.

Note: The tighter the twist, the quicker the barrel can wear out.

-Thed

Ok, flat top vs. carry handle. What is the deal? What is the difference, which is better. Let me know. I'm getting all kinds of anxious to build one of these now!

Also, AR's in .308. Does this happen? Who makes an upper for this? Is the receiver specific to the caliber that you are firing?

Jared

1 in 14" usually a varmit barrel for less than 55gr

1 in 12" 55gr

1 in 9" a general purpose twist for 55gr and 62gr. I would suggest this for a 1st AR

1 in 8" 55gr will still work, but groups widen up. 62 gr works well as does the 75gr

1 in 7.7" Kreiger A match twist. Typically coupled with heavier custom handloads

1 in 7" which was used for the 62gr and heavier. I beleive the US Army switched to this for awhile when the SS109 was developed, but switched back to the 1 in 9" for more versitility in available ammo.

Note: The tighter the twist, the quicker the barrel can wear out.

-Thed

113483[/snapback]

Good info. Thanks. I think I'm gonna need several uppers. I'll put em in a big golf bag and hire a caddy when I go the range.

Edited by macshooter

uvarm2414.gif

From Model "1" Sales

I like to shoot with iron sights, so I lean towards a carry handle. I would like to build a Flat-top AR one of these days, but even so, most of the optics that interest me can be easily adapted to the carry handle set up.

-Thed

Or an SP1 retro look AR with the triangular handguards.

113474[/snapback]

I was thinking about the retro look also. Ive seen somewhere (cant remember right now) that had the triangular hand guards on complete uppers

Thed, why the Flute? Too heavy for ya?

113602[/snapback]

?

Are you talking about the varmint barrel shown? Just showing an AR with 1 in 14" twist.

Thats not my style.

-Thed

Thanks for all the info guys. I called my dealer and he had a Bushmaster and a Hesse flat-top for $650 each. I decided that an AR would be a bit too expensive for now since it's getting closer to Christmas, but after the holiday season I think I might take the plunge. I've always wanted an AR but I think I might get something cheaper like a 10/22 for now just cause .22lr ammo is ridiculously inexpensive and I would be able to use it as a plinker for when I get bored and not go broke from buying ammo. I will definitely check out those sites you guys listed to get a god idea for what I want to get when the time comes. Thanks again.

Eric