Sign in to follow this  
Pacman

Chrom moly vs. Chrome lined

The kits at M&A Parts are listed as Wilson Match Chrome-moly barrels. Anyone have any experience or opinions on the advisability of getting this barrel? This will be my first AR and my first kit build so I don't want to get a bad taste from a bad barrel.

Thanks,

Chris

The kits at M&A Parts are listed as Wilson Match Chrome-moly barrels. Anyone have any experience or opinions on the advisability of getting this barrel? This will be my first AR and my first kit build so I don't want to get a bad taste from a bad barrel.

Thanks,

Chris

109317[/snapback]

Chrome-moly is a type of steel. Apparently stronger than regular carbon steel and also more corrosion resistant.

Chrome lined is plating a layer of chrome onto the interior of the barrel. Chrome is a hard substance which improves wear and also resists corrosion. I believe the military uses chrome lined barrels.

I think I've heard that chrome lining reduces accuracy. I think the military uses it because it's going to see a lot of adverse conditions. For home, just plinking and such, I am getting aregular barrel.

Chrome-moly is basically the best of both worlds. I'd say go with that ok>

I agree with rockranger chrome moly is a metal in it own. This is a little info i read once and saved.

What is chrome moly?"

A common misconception is that chrome moly is chrome plating. Despite the similar name, there is no connection. Chrome moly is a steel alloy that is an abbreviation for chromium molybenum. You can typically find it used in the aircraft and professional racing industry and it is noted for it's high torsional load handling capabilities. Due to it's higher strength, it is possible to use thinner gauge materials when building a product to yield lesser weight or a product that is the same weight but nearly twice as strong. In some instances, it is possible to build a product that is not only stronger than it's steel counterpart but lighter as well.

Hope this helps. ok>

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a kit from M&A which is supposed to be a Wilson chrome moly barrel. From the sounds of the posts this should be a good way to go and I don't have to pay the extra $50 for chrome lining.

Chris