Sign in to follow this  
ShmodZilla

308 enfields rare?

I stopped by a local spot today and there was a enfiled in 7.62x51 .. The thing looked real old, older than any of my m44's . ANyway are these things rare in that caliber? I thought about pickin git up for 200 bucks looked liek a good C&R for the collection.

PS it wasnt a jungle it was one of the old mk1's or something.

Edited by ShmodZilla

It is an Ishapore 2A1. Basically a No 1 Mk 3 chambered in 7.62x51. They were built at Rifle Factory, Ishapore (RFI) in India. While they are not as common as the .303 Enfields, they are by no means rare. Unless it is in NRA excellent or better condition, $200 is high.

I gave $145 for one about four months ago. The metal was in excellent shape, but the wood was pretty banged up. I bought a new stock set from AIM surplus and she looks like new now.

I believe AIM still has the stock sets.

I payed $200 for one about 2 years ago. That's not to say that's what I should have payed, but I like enfields and $200 is "cheap and dirty" as far as most of my gun purchases do. I didn't really care if the guy made a few bucks. They are not especailly rare, but if you like enfields they're nice to have. More powerful/less oddball than 303. One thing about mine is that the recoil shakes the mag lose to where it slips down just enough so that the next round won't feed without smacking the mag back into place. That's something you won't find out until you're at the range. Not that they all do that, but just a tidbit from another Ishy owner. I still love the gun, I think I'll do an enfield sniper build up on it some day. You really have to dig around to find mags for ishys. If anyone know where to find them post a link! Good Luck.

P.S. Gibbs did an Ishy/jungle carbine build up that was nickle plated for a little more than $200. It was called the Quest II extreme. Nice gun. Better than a stock Ishy IMHO unless your into the stock military look.

thanks guys, i did a search for pics and found a few. That is defiantley the rifle so ill spend my cash on soemthing else.. Like heat, electric and maybe food even :)

Macshooter, I didn't mean to imply that a 2A1 would not be worth $200. Just that it would have to be in really nice shape to be worth that much. After paying the shipping and buying the new stock set for mine, I have more than $200 in it.

One thing to think about. A lot of them had the metal painted black for some reason. When the paint starts flaking off, it looks like crap. Mine was like that when I bought it. A couple of hours with lacquer thinner, rags, 0000 steel wool and a dental pic revealed very nice parkerizing with almost zero wear. I wish I had taken some pics of it when I first got it with the flaking paint and beat up wood. Here's a picture of it now.

2a1.jpg

Mauser, What does the stock set consist of? I don't have Enfield and most likely will get one. Is it just standard for Enfields to come with terrible stocks and looking bad?

Macshooter, I didn't mean to imply that a 2A1 would not be worth $200. Just that it would have to be in really nice shape to be worth that much. After paying the shipping and buying the new stock set for mine, I have more than $200 in it.

2a1.jpg

106519[/snapback]

Hey, it's cool. No doubt you are right about the price. I used to know the value of just about any gun I looked at, but not anymore. I need to fix that. That's a nice Ishy. Mine has the black paint also. Nice work geting the paint off like that. Do you know where to get .308 mags?

Togo, the stock set from AIM included all four pieces of wood. Buttstock, forestock, rear handguard, front handguard. No metal was included with it and the little metal parts on the handguards are a bitch to put on.

Macshooter, try MidwayUSA for the magazine. They are out of stock at the moment, but it says they will have some on10/19/04, two weeks from tomorrow.

i got a 308 ishy at a pawn shop for $200 -- restocked with a synth back monte carlo and a scope mounted. I've put an bipod on it too. It shoots well but it has no collectors value anymore. I'd like to find some decent spare mags or blueprints to make mags. I've seen them for $50 ish, but i think that's too much.

Yeah - well worth the money. I got mine 2 yrs ago and love it to death. I found it easy to find mags for it, but does any one know if there bayonets still around for it. That is the hardest thing I found to look for. Any feed back on where to get one or if there ever was one for it?