Sign in to follow this  
gh286001

First build...help me please!

I am going to build my first ar soon and i have a few basic questions before i get started. I am looking to get my upper from model 1 and im probably going to go with some variation of the m4. I was under the impression that the hm4 and variations of the hm16 have interchangable parts, meaning that the receivers and all the guts are identical. But after looking at that site i dont know if thats true. also that site has an m16 m4 car and it has an m4 car and i cant make sense out of any differences between the two. Could someone please tell me if there are any significant differences between them. I plan on getting my lower from ameetec and just need to make sure it will fit a m16 or an m4, whichever i decide to get. As far as the barrel, i was reading that i can have them upgrade the barrel, is that true and if so, is it worth doing? I dont mind spending the money if im really getting a better gun. The also have an option for a free float and i have no idea what that is or if its worth it. And for optics i would like to eventually get a tactical scope but i want open sights to start with so i done know if i should get the a2 or the a3. I have seen pictures with scopes mounted on the carrying handle but i would think that would be a pain to shoot with. Is my only option to go with a removable handle for an extra 80 bucks? Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch.

The lower will fit either. I'm not familiar enough with free floats or model 1 sales to answer anything else.

The M16 M4 CAR is for a full auto lower receiver, and the M4 CAR is for a regular plain old AR-15 receiever.... AR-15 is the same thing as M16 except it can't fire in automatic mode basically, so Model1sales has like two versions of every upper parts kit it looks like to me.

Stainless steel= best accuracy, may wear out slightly faster than chome moly

Chome-moly= good accuracy, probably lasts longest

Chrome-lined= least accurate due to inprecision of applying chrome to barrel

If you plan on using a scope I personally would get a detacheable carry handle, that is what I am going to do actually as I just ordered my Ameetec Receiver and am right now saving up for a model1 upper parts kit.

I wouldn't like how high the scope sits either on top of the handle.... but I do like iron sights.

I believe when they are talking about free floated they mean the handguard won't touch the barrel. It improves the barrel harmonics therfore improving accuracy. If you plan on a M4 type rifle the m4 handguards are the way to go, they just look meaner!

My Varminter has a free floating handguard...

rifles-9-20-005.jpg

I have the standard m4 handguard on my Bushy m4 though

I would get the m4 handguards, but if you wanted to have freefloating ones that look meaner get the ARMS SIR or KAC RAS II.

KAC RAS II

RASII.JPG

ARMS SIR

m16drew.jpg

oh, and go with the removable carry handle..if you do you just added 1,000 things you can do to customize your rifle

-Tyler

Edited by ::wayne::