Sign in to follow this  
ARRH86

Building your own Muzzle brake

Hi all.

I have access to a machine shop with drill press, lathe, etc. and am wondering if it is legal and possible to build your own flash hider or muzzle brake.

As far as I know it is 100% legal.

Also I have heard other people have done it before just using guesswork basically, or with a little knowledge.

Anyone know the best way to do it for an AR-15 style rifle with threaded barrel?

Also what size do those threads need to be and best material and size for the device?

I can get some fairly soft aluminum that would be easy to work... not sure if that would be too hot for it there by the barrel though, and I am not too good with steel at this point hehe.

Any comments or help would rule, thanks.

Tom :c)l:

I don’t know much about that my self, but, if I were you I’d start out with a fairly simply one, like the “birdcage” style flash hider, only make the ribs thicker, and keep the bottom sealed. I’ve heard that works pretty well and real flash hiders can be had for about 7$, I’d buy one, copy the dimensions roughly and work from there. Make the walls thicker on the out side, make the ribs thicker .. and when testing your prototypes it’d be a pretty good idea to wear some safety glasses, Personally I’d want a flak vest too :D

Another thing to consider it timing the threats ... I have no idea how to do this, but you want it tight, and still oriented in the proper place obviously.

Another thing I’d try to avoid would be “closed” designs, meaning like tube, with an exit hole, maybe with bore holes on the top. the pressure could be too much for the aluminium, and worse case you could make a suppresser, I’m sure you don’t want to hear the whole non tax stamped suppresser = bad thing speech again :D

Can you get your finished product anodized, or powder coated that would be cool

:coolthumb:

Ok so you are basically saying, for at least my first one:

Keep it short in length

Keep the ending hole where the bullet actually goes through large

Perhaps I will order a flash hider and then measure the threads and just try and copy it to see what happens like you said, thats a good idea in fact .

Yes, keep it short, don’t make any thing that could be remotely confused with a suppresser, and look on some manufacture websites, they should list barrel threads right there, if you have a standard barrel, or you can track down your barrel’s model number, then it should be more or less a simple task picking which treads to use. Again use as much safety as possible, you might want to talk to one of the more experienced members about that, good luck!

I don't understand, why reinvent the wheel when you can just go buy some tires? Now that the assault weapons ban sunset is final, flash hiders are legal to sell/purchase in most states. (Someone correct me if I am wrong on that)