Sign in to follow this  
Geoff

Bushmaster Varminter

i just recently bought a bushmaster varminter. it is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned. the first time i shot it and got the scope adjusted i put two shots in the same hole and 1 halfway in that same hole. if anyone else has one or has shot one please post your opinions

I just got my Varminter Special a few days ago. Haven't taken it to the range yet, but hopefully I will get to take it this weekend.

i just recently bought a bushmaster varminter.  it is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned.  the first time i shot it and got the scope adjusted i put two shots in the same hole and 1 halfway in that same hole.  if anyone else has one or has shot one please post your opinions

101723[/snapback]

Hey Geoff, my wife has shown interest in an AR ever since shooting a friend's, and I've been eyeing the Bushmaster Varmiter as a likely model to buy her. How is yours doing so far? Does accuracy hold for five round groups? Is your ammo Federal Gold Medal or comparable? Any quirks with the rifle? We mainly just poke holes in paper, but I do prefer one ragged hole rather than a bunch of small ones.

There's a gun show this weekend and I might surprise her. ;)

everything is excellent with the Bushmaster Varminter, i cant think of anything wrong with the performance.

the only thing i can say is it kind of costs alot. The cheapest i have seen it is where i bought it at a store near my house for i think around 900. If you arent going past 100 yards and dont want a scoped rifle, i would not get it, cause you can get cheaper rifles for 100 yards and less that are accurate and without a scope

Another good rifle i have shot is the Bushmaster with a stainless steel barrel. Thats a little cheaper and still nice.

oh and my groups have been very good since i bought it. I was using cheap remington ammunition (i forgot exactly what it was), nothing fancy at all. I still got a great group.

Good luck i hope you find a nice one.

ive gotten better groups than that after adjusting the scope, those were with the scope out of the box!

Edited by Geoff

looks great man, glad you happy with your purchase!!! ok>

and if you don't mind, next time put a quarter or something on your target for reference when u post a pic.

Bullets leave funny sized holes in paper due to the tearing effect, and different papers react differently. But sounds like a nice rifle.

everything is excellent with the Bushmaster Varminter, i cant think of anything wrong with the performance. 

the only thing i can say is it kind of costs alot.  The cheapest i have seen it is where i bought it at a store near my house for i think around 900.  If you arent going past 100 yards and dont want a scoped rifle, i would not get it, cause you can get cheaper rifles for 100 yards and less that are accurate and without a scope

Another good rifle i have shot is the Bushmaster with a stainless steel barrel.  Thats a little cheaper and still nice. 

oh and my groups have been very good since i bought it.  I was using cheap remington ammunition (i forgot exactly what it was), nothing fancy at all. I still got a great group.

Good luck i hope you find a nice one.

103292[/snapback]

Thanks Geoff! Yea, we like the 100 to 400 yard range, so a scope is a given. Price is not important as long as the quality is top notch. I didn't make it to the gun show, but we have another coming up in about 6 weeks, so I'll take a look then. We only use Federal Gold Medal anymore, it's priced less than a lot of hunting loads, and the most accurate I've found in my rifles. The main thing right now is feel, finding a model that shoots well and screams "hold me! and don't let me go!!". :)

you have one and dont like it???

Nope, I've never personally owned an AR, never had a real use for one in my region, but of the ones I've used, none of them felt quite right (plastic stocks aren't high on my list), I'm always paranoid if the next round is going to jam, and the accurate ones with slippery aluminum hand guards were unbalanced and only useful to me for target shooting on sand bags or bipod. The wife likes them though, and we will be looking for one that fits her hands.

::wayne:: I'll sell you mine.

Thanks for the offer Wayne but I only buy new unused unhandled still in the box special ordered fresh from the distributor. I be way picky when it comes to my personal defense. :)

No problem..I don't buy used either, I just thought I would put that out there.

It is new, and unfired though. Only 2 weeks old.

-Tyler

why dont you want it?

106396[/snapback]

(If the question applies to owning an AR...) The region where I shoot is over 115 degrees in summer, 15 to 25 degrees below zero in winter with wind chills of 45 below or greater, humidity runs from bone dry to 99%, rain comes down sideways, huge quantities of dirt, dust, and sand along with normal winds of 25 to 65 mph, and a weapon must at times go underwater and through mud and still be capable of immediately shooting accurately, but most of all I still have 30 year old memories of when M-16s jammed, boys got killed while trying to free jams, and of moisture forming water droplets in barrels. I've been told all the problems have been fixed, but like a cheating girlfriend, once the deed has been done, trust can no longer exist. For me, when a weapon is pulled for use, my life depends on it doing its job right the first time every time, and no question of dependability is tolerated. The AR ought to be fine for target shooting, but not for my personal needs, and I only practise with what I use.

(If the question applies to a used AR...) Many many reasons like not knowing if someone ran bad hand-loaded ammo through it, maybe the weapon is up for sale because of a factory or personally made flaw, don't know if it was dropped into a vat of who knows what sort of chemicals that will create corrosion in the near future (it does happen), someone might have run cheap corrosive steel jacketed ammo through it, and then there are 'little' things like being in the big middle of a serious situation and getting a whif of someone's stinky perfume or body odor on the gun that causes a momentary distraction (far far too common when using shared weapons), and when something like that happens while tracking, the smell can totally mask the intruder's smell, greatly reducing the defender's senses, and that's just a plain stupid thing to allow. To me, I only want my own wear and tear on my possessions, no one else's, and just as it's gross to share wives and underwear, I don't share weapons either. :) Like Wayne says, I refuse to be a victim. ok>

(If the question applies to owning an AR...) The region where I shoot is over 115 degrees in summer, 15 to 25 degrees below zero in winter with wind chills of 45 below or greater

106417[/snapback]

if you don't mind me asking, what region do you live in? i just can't think of an area that's 115 in the summer and 15 in the winter.

i'm not doubting you here, just curious.

if you don't mind me asking, what region do you live in? i just can't think of an area that's 115 in the summer and 15 in the winter.

i'm not doubting you here, just  curious.

106418[/snapback]

Arizona possibly? Nevada? -Tyler

Central USA canyons (sorry, I'd prefer to not say exactly where). The canyons trap heat in summer (ground can be 125 or more, literally boils moisture out of the soil) and stays colder in winter. The big question is why on earth do I endure it?? :D Actually, after 5 years without air conditioning or normal heating my wife couldn't endure it anymore, so I got her a city house. There isn't any place to get real exercise in a city, the canyons are the only local source.

.....train hard, fight easy......

(If the question applies to owning an AR...) The region where I shoot is over 115 degrees in summer, 15 to 25 degrees below zero in winter with wind chills of 45 below or greater, humidity runs from bone dry to 99%, rain comes down sideways, huge quantities of dirt, dust, and sand along with normal winds of 25 to 65 mph, and a weapon must at times go underwater and through mud and still be capable of immediately shooting accurately, but most of all I still have 30 year old memories of when M-16s jammed, boys got killed while trying to free jams, and of moisture forming water droplets in barrels. I've been told all the problems have been fixed, but like a cheating girlfriend, once the deed has been done, trust can no longer exist. For me, when a weapon is pulled for use, my life depends on it doing its job right the first time every time, and no question of dependability is tolerated. The AR ought to be fine for target shooting, but not for my personal needs, and I only practise with what I use.

(If the question applies to a used AR...) Many many reasons like not knowing if someone ran bad hand-loaded ammo through it, maybe the weapon is up for sale because of a factory or personally made flaw, don't know if it was dropped into a vat of who knows what sort of chemicals that will create corrosion in the near future (it does happen), someone might have run cheap corrosive steel jacketed ammo through it, and then there are 'little' things like being in the big middle of a serious situation and getting a whif of someone's stinky perfume or body odor on the gun that causes a momentary distraction (far far too common when using shared weapons), and when something like that happens while tracking, the smell can totally mask the intruder's smell, greatly reducing the defender's senses, and that's just a plain stupid thing to allow. To me, I only want my own wear and tear on my possessions, no one else's, and just as it's gross to share wives and underwear, I don't share weapons either. :) Like Wayne says, I refuse to be a victim. ok>

106417[/snapback]

oh, sorry about that neal. I was asking wayne why he did not want his bushmaster

I have had one for a few seasons and absolutely love it! Nothing I have is nearly as repeatably accurate. I can get all of my holees at 100 yards to touch now. Mine likes the Winchester 64 grain power points and the 45 grain Winchesters too. The match bullets are OK. Lucky for me mine is for putting holes in 4-leggers! Only bad part is that it's a heavy pig! With the scope and bipod(mandatory on this rifle), and heavy padded sling, I'm close to 12 pounds.

Killer rifle for hunting. Definetly not for CQB!

69101715.jpg

yea that was at 100 yards and it was kind of windy, it was blowing from the right to the left.

Edited by Geoff