Sign in to follow this  
Fox

5.56Nato vs. .223 chamber

I was going over a website, and they asked me if I wanted an complete upper chambered in .223 or 5.56 NATO .. now, to my knowledge you can shoot .223 rem. through a 5.56 NATO chamber no problem at all, But, if you go around the other way you get big problems. I think, the throat is longer on the 5.56. I just wanted to make sure.

What’s your opinion on the cute 11.5 inch barrelled uppers with a 5.5inch flash hider permanently stuck onto it. From what I can see you’d only loose performance with that short barrel, but would the weight savings make up for it, or is this strictly a “cool” thing.

I think it's more of a looks thing. Some people want to have rifles that look close as legally possible to the "read deal" whoever uses.

This is just my opinion but if I have to have something metal going out 16" then I want to make use of it.

You are right about the chamberings also.

I was going over a website, and they asked me if I wanted an complete upper chambered in .223 or 5.56 NATO .. now, to my knowledge you can shoot .223 rem. through a 5.56 NATO chamber no problem at all, But, if you go around the other way you get big problems. I think, the throat is longer on the 5.56. I just wanted to make sure.

What’s your opinion on the cute 11.5 inch barrelled uppers with a 5.5inch flash hider permanently stuck onto it. From what I can see you’d only loose performance with that short barrel, but would the weight savings make up for it, or is this strictly a “cool” thing.

101357[/snapback]

5.56 can shoot .223 but not vise versa.

The shorter barrel means accuracy at higher distances goes out the window. I've personaly seen the 11" barrels miss in the hands of SF operators what they can drop in a dime with an M16. Between the M4 and the M16 barrel, there is not a noticable difference after 300M. The 5.56 wont do much after 300M anyways.

But shorter than the 16" really does effect the bullets distance and accuracy at medium-long ranges.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Edited by Riot

dimensionally, 5.56 and .223 ammo are identical, though military 5.56 ammo is typically loaded to higher pressures and velocities than commercial ammo and may, in guns with extremely tight "match" .223 chambers, be unsafe to fire.

The chambers for .223 and 5.56 weapons are not the same either. Though the AR15 design provides an extremely strong action, high pressure signs on the brass and primers, extraction failures and cycling problems may be seen when firing hot 5.56 ammo in .223-chambered rifles. Military M16s and AR15s from Colt, Bushmaster, FN, DPMS, and some others, have the M16-spec chamber and should have no trouble firing hot 5.56 ammunition.

-Tyler

Ahh, thanks for all of the info. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be ordering at least a barrel, but most likely an entire upper from “http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm “ :D