Sign in to follow this  
SoldierofGod

Want an AR to pratice for bootcamp

I'm in the Marine's Delayed Entry Program, and I'm lookin' to sharpen up my shooting skills before I head to Camp Pendleton in January. Could anyone enlisted or retired from the Armed Services recommend a AR for me? I need something that's going to replicate what I'll handle in basic, but I don't want to pay out the ear for ammo and I'm limited to about $600 for the gun. I'm also 18 so I can't get FFL to buy one online.

Model "1" web site You could look into one of the Model "1" standard rifle kits, pre ban for about $415.00 and then find a lower receiver and build it yourself. That would make you very familiar with it and it's the closest to the real thing (Mil spec) for a good price. ok> Edited by mopeman

heh

dont spend more than 500

i dont think the military does

anything by armalite in 5.56 preban would be about as accurate as you can get. marines (i believe) use the M16A3 with the detachable carry handle- so you might look into something like that.

the basic function is just that- basic. ARs are easy to strip, operate and relatively easy to maintain. pretty much anything you got with a few 30 round mags (.223 or 5.56)would get you familiar with the rifle. I would suggest 5.56 nato though to replicate the tolerances in military rifles.

but then again- i ain't no M16 expert

I went and checked out some local shops I can get a Bushmaster m15 20" barrel for $749 new with strap and case, saving $250 if I bought it direct.

I don't know how I'm supposed to find something under $500, unless you recommend I buy used. Supposing I went with Mopeman's model 1, I'm looking at about $700 after I buy the reciever aren't I?

Thanks for the info, I trust guys who don't stand to make a comission a little bit more than those who do.

My advice is that you forget (temporarily) about "practicing" with an AR15 for boot camp rifle range unless you have access to a 500 yard target range and a Marine PMI (Primary Marksmanship Instructor) to teach you. Doing it yourself will more than likely develop bad habits you'll have to UNLEARN before you can shoot the way the instructors want it done (you'll actually be harming your chances to do well). If you're thinking about being the next Carlos Hathcock, you might be starting a bit late. He was using a rifle to feed his family when he was 12, IIRC. So, depending how you view the situation, it's too soon or too late to learn how to shoot before you go in. BTW, do you know the manual of arms for the M16 (the DI would rather you learned it his way). If you're still determined to get an AR15 beforehand, your time with it will be better-spent by practicing field-stripping and re-assembling it.

A better way to prepare for boot camp would be to build up your endurance and upper body strength in the time you have remaining before you go.

Learn the General Orders, drill commands, USMC history, and to call everybody "Sir."

Also, practice blending with the walls. The recruits who stood out (by saying the wrong thing at the wrong time or by thoroughly screwing up) were generally selected for "special" treatment. Terminology for such people was "shitbirds."

Determine that, come hell or high water, you will graduate in the top 10% of your platoon. Do everything you can to help your squad members pass tests, both physical and mental. Teamwork is an essential quality for a Marine.

When I went through Parris Island in 1970, the two facets of training most important to the DI's were the series drill competition and the rifle range. They even eased up on the harassment while we were snapping in (practicing the firing positions and dry firing the M14) the first week, and during the week of live firing at the range because they wanted us to do well.

That was the best advice I think anyone could have gave him...

Sounds kind of like what my dad used to say. (Dad was in the USMC 20yrs.)

I appreciate BOTH of you guys for your service to our country, There is an awful lot that we wouldn't have if it wasn't for guys like you stepping up...

Good Luck and God Bless...

ok> ok>

My advice is that you forget (temporarily) about "practicing" with an AR15 for boot camp rifle range unless you have access to a 500 yard target range and a Marine PMI (Primary Marksmanship Instructor) to teach you. Doing it yourself will more than likely develop bad habits you'll have to UNLEARN before you can shoot the way the instructors want it done (you'll actually be harming your chances to do well). If you're thinking about being the next Carlos Hathcock, you might be starting a bit late. He was using a rifle to feed his family when he was 12, IIRC. So, depending how you view the situation, it's too soon or too late to learn how to shoot before you go in. BTW, do you know the manual of arms for the M16 (the DI would rather you learned it his way). If you're still determined to get an AR15 beforehand, your time with it will be better-spent by practicing field-stripping and re-assembling it.

A better way to prepare for boot camp would be to build up your endurance and upper body strength in the time you have remaining before you go.

Learn the General Orders, drill commands, USMC history, and to call everybody "Sir."

Also, practice blending with the walls. The recruits who stood out (by saying the wrong thing at the wrong time or by thoroughly screwing up) were generally selected for "special" treatment. Terminology for such people was "shitbirds."

Determine that, come hell or high water, you will graduate in the top 10% of your platoon. Do everything you can to help your squad members pass tests, both physical and mental. Teamwork is an essential quality for a Marine.

When I went through Parris Island in 1970, the two facets of training most important to the DI's were the series drill competition and the rifle range. They even eased up on the harassment while we were snapping in (practicing the firing positions and dry firing the M14) the first week, and during the week of live firing at the range because they wanted us to do well.

99473[/snapback]

I went ahead and bought the gun, it was too perfect of an excuss to get a new gun for me to pass up.

I had discussed with my recruiters about the AR and they thought it was a good idea IF I practiced shooting it properly and I shall be practicing so. I know that I won't end up getting superbly profficent with the weapon before I ship, but I reckon the better I can get the basics down, the more shooting at basic will be a time for refinement of skills.

Your input has been great, thanks to you all for it.

listen to what surbat said- he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

all i draw off is my air force experience. and as we know air force and marine trainings are quite a bit different.

Edited by Commissargribb

Hey SoldierofGod, what did you get, I priced out a setup using the Ameetec lower receiver and the model "1" standard rifle kit and it came to $505.00 less shipping. I hope this helped, let us know what you got. ok>

I got a Bushmaster A3 with 20" barrel. Bushmaster's MSRP for it is 1095 but I got one from Sportsman's Warehouse for $800 because they do a lot of business with them with 25 stores.

An Army DI that frequents my work is going to try to get a shooting guide for me, something that details snapping in an such, and I know two fellas that are security at the local radioactive site, one is a former Marine and the other was rated 3rd in Washington state last year with handguns. I figure between those resources and all the info online I really oughta be able to go out everyother weekend and practice for qualifying as expert in BC.

Don't teach yourself bad habits... The Corps produces some of the finest marksmen in the world and they do it by doing things our way. The more stuff you teach yourself to do wrong, the more work you will have to do in boot camp to undo it.

Most of the guys that end up shooting expert in boot are the guys that have never fired a rifle before. Forget all about Kentucky windage and all the rest of the stuff ya think ya need to know.

As mentioned previously, we range out to 500 yards with open sights. Boot camp has it's purpose, it's to deprogram all the BS stuff that you've engrained in yourself up until the point you step foot on the island (or MCRDSD depending where you live with regards to Ole Miss) and to retrain you how to do everything the right way.

Don't worry... by the time qualification came for me, I was hitting all head shots from the 500 with iron sights and that was with an M16A2 that would rattle and shake when I'd wiggle it.

Semper Fi,

Buzz_Hog

Well just try to keep your finger off the trigger when you aren't ready to fire.... If you cn keep from developing that bad habit you are miles ahead of many recruits that have already completed basic.