Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dieter122

NY State Law on transporting firearms

Question

Im a bit confused...

"Possession of any "loaded" rifle or shotgun in a vehicle is illegal. A loaded handgun may be carried in a vehicle by a properly licensed individual. ("Loaded" means a firearm with ammunition loaded in magazine or chamber or any firearm which is possessed by one who at the same time possesses a quantity of ammunition which may be used to discharge such a firearm.)"

So its illegal to have a loaded magazine thats attached to the firearm, or just any loaded mags? I love how the laws change from State to State...--/sarcasm--

7 answers to this question

I live in NY. I think you cant have the loaded magazine on the rife but you can have loaded magazine when transporting the rifle to the range. I dont think you would have any problem if the rifle is in a case and the loaded mags are seprate. Im not totally sure you should check with the police, but that how most people do it be me.

No loaded magazines in the gun. I would also assert that having ammo in a different container from the firearm is a good idea when "transporting".

I could be wrong but I beleive in TN they can take a loaded Mag as a loaded weapon. To be safe, I used to just make sure the gun and empty mags were in the back of the car and the ammo was in a case in the front of the car. Several arms lengths between the two. Now that I have my carry permit, I just keep my pistol loaded in the holster and the rifles unloaded in the back.

I live in NY. I think you cant have the loaded magazine on the rife but you can have loaded magazine when transporting the rifle to the range. I dont think you would have any problem if the rifle is in a case and the loaded mags are seprate. Im not totally sure you should check with the police,  but that how most people do it be me.

91880[/snapback]

thats the thing, one PD might have one thing to say, and the next another...they cant come to a consensus as to what the law is...its more like, if they dont like it, its illegal, if not then its ok. I guess ill just carry everything totally unloaded and not take any chances, not worth it I guess. :popcorn:

That sounds like the best plan of all dieter. They can't charge you with anything if there is nothing to charge you with.

Dieter, its most defiantley NO loaded mags in the car.. any loaded mags are considered a loaded rifle.

Also if you have your pistol in the car loaded it is only to be loaded to its factory capacity of the clip... NO +1 in the clip and chamber. Or in other words if your clip holds 10 rounds thats all your allowed no 10+1 while in the vehicle.

Dieter, its most defiantley NO loaded mags in the car.. any loaded mags are considered a loaded rifle.

Also if you have your pistol in the car loaded it is only to be loaded to its factory capacity of the clip... NO +1 in the clip and chamber. Or in other words if your clip holds 10 rounds thats all your allowed no 10+1 while in the vehicle.

92021[/snapback]

Ok well that clears it up and answers my question then. Thanks ShmodZilla. :thnks: