• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brenden Azevedo

Brenden Azevedo

Still Deciding If I Belong Here...

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:29 AM

Hello, it's my first time here, and I want to thank you for opening my thread. I was browsing through looking for any tips that could help my current problem with my M1 rifle, but I needed to get feedback, which wasn't happening.

So anyways, I was showing a bud of mine today how the bolt slams forward after depressing the follower. Now, knowing that the bolt slamming on an empty chamber is hard on the rifle, I inserted one single, empty 30-06 casing, and let the bolt slide forward. The bolt did not reach it's destination; it is stuck, rotated roughly halfway to the left, and I am unable to move it by hand :<rt: . I disassembled the rifle into the 3 main groups to get a closer look, but the bolt will simply not budge an inch. I cannot slide it forward, I cannot slide it backward. I've tried inserting a metal tube into the barrel, the same instrument I use to partially clean the before after a day at the range, and the bolt will still not move.

I am most likely going to be taking the rifle to the local gunsmith if I cannot correct the problem myself within the next 48 hours. :-:

Any tips?

P.S.

The rifle is standard military issue, manufactured in late 1944/1945, and serial # 3439222.

Edited by Brenden Azevedo, 02 August 2004 - 04:30 AM.

#2 Typeopos Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

Typeopos

I support my local stripper

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 07:51 AM

you may have already checked, but on the right side of the receiver/ bolt area, check to make sure the guide rod for the bolt carrier is not out of its groove, this happen to my girlfriends father, every week or so when he pulls the bolt open because he pulls to one side too much, ill try to find a diagram and circle the part im referring to

#3 Typeopos Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

Typeopos

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:13 AM

nevermind the pictures i can find suck!!! if your still having problems ill run over to my girlfriends fathers and take pics

#4 Brenden Azevedo Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

Brenden Azevedo

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:08 PM

No, I don't believe the rod is out of it's groove.

I'm gonna kick this baby 'till it gives, lol.

#5 Typeopos Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

Typeopos

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:07 PM

S> use a very large hammer

#6 surbat6 Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

surbat6

RKI #8

• Members
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:46 PM

Try removing the recoil spring (under the barrel) before you try moving the bolt or op rod. We had one like that in the local gunshop (somebody pulled the op rod out of its groove). Field-stripping and taking out the recoil spring was the only way to free the bolt.

#7 Vendor Defendor Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

Vendor Defendor

Why Can't I Own a Mortar?

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:22 PM

ha this exact same thing happened to me a while ago when I was giving my girlfriend a lesson in how to load my M1, so I loaded a clip of empty shells, about the fourth one did what your's is doing.

What I ended up having to do was field stripping it (into the the three groups like you did) put the trigger group and stock aside and hold the reciever group with the bolt down. push the follower rod all the way back towards the front of the gun (towards the front site) and disengauge it from the follower arm and the bullet guide. pull the op rod off and you should be good. That is how I fixed my problem

Need more help, this site should offer a help:

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/

Edited by Vendor Defendor, 02 August 2004 - 10:23 PM.

#8 Rapidrob Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

Rapidrob

I really need a hobby!

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:28 PM

Use a long all steel cleaning rod. Your fired case is stuck in the bore. Pounding on the bolt may cause damage. A good rap with a plastic mallet will dislodge the stuck case. You will hear and feel the case move. Once you fell it free up, you can cycle the bolt and eject the case.
Rapidrob.

#9 Brenden Azevedo Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

Brenden Azevedo

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:38 PM

Use a long all steel cleaning rod. Your fired case is stuck in the bore. Pounding on the bolt may cause damage. A good rap with a plastic mallet will dislodge the stuck case. You will hear and feel the case move. Once you fell it free up, you can cycle the bolt and eject the case.
Rapidrob.

View Post

I tried that at first, but that didn't work.

I eventually just ended up kicking the bolt back with my foot.

Thanks guys. ok>

#10 surbat6 Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

surbat6

RKI #8

• Members
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:29 PM

...when all else fails, hit it harder! ok>

#11 Fullmedaljacket8 Re: My M1 Garand's bolt is 'locked'

Fullmedaljacket8

Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins

• Veteran Member
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:37 PM

I tried that at first, but that didn't work.

I eventually just ended up kicking the bolt back with my foot.

Thanks guys.  ok>

View Post

SOUNDS FUN :misstooth: