15 replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:18 PM

Legend Grows Around 1,000-Pound Hog Reportedly Killed on Georgia Plantation

ALAPAHA, Ga. (AP) - Around these parts, they are calling it Hogzilla: a 12-foot-long wild hog recently killed on a plantation and now quickly becoming a part of local legend.

The plantation's owner claims the hog weighed 1,000 pounds and had 9-inch tusks. But few people have actually seen the hog - the only proof being a photo that shows the dead beast hanging from a rope.

Whether the hog ever actually existed or is some sort of Faulknerian myth, it has definitely been the topic of conversation in small towns across southern Georgia.

"People just back up and ask 'Is it real?' They can't believe that there's a hog that big in the woods," said Drew White, who has a copy of the photo on display at an auto parts store in Tifton, about 17 miles away.

Chris Griffin said he killed the beast last month at the River Oak Plantation, where he is a hunting guide, and has been showing off the picture around this small farming community ever since. The hog is nearly twice as long as the 6-foot-tall Griffin, who is seen standing next to it in the photo.

"They say 'Man, you look like a dwarf compared to that thing,'" he said Wednesday.

The picture is all Griffin has to back up his claims. He and Ken Holyoak, owner of the plantation, buried the beast on the property and did not want to hassle with slaughtering it since the meat of large feral hogs is typically not very good.

Holyoak said he decided that the hog's head also wasn't worth keeping because it was too large to mount on a wall. He said the head has the diameter of a tire on a compact car.

"We had to lift him with a backhoe," he said.

No one maintains official records on hog kills in Georgia. But Department of Natural Resources biologist Kent Kammermeyer, who helped write a booklet on feral-hog problems in the state, said he has never heard of one as large as Hogzilla.

Holyoak said the plantation's previous record was a 695-pound hog shot several years ago. Enough wild hogs roam Holyoak's plantation that he has made it a side business to allow people to hunt them, but he said "Hogzilla" was too big to let someone else shoot.

"We killed it because we didn't want to take a chance of him getting away. Somebody else would have shot it," he said.

Feral hogs, popularly known as wild hogs, are domestic hogs that escaped from farms and began living off the land. They lay waste to corn and peanut fields and deprive more than 100 species - including squirrels and deer - of food.

"It's a big problem and it's getting worse," Kammermeyer said. "If you have a lot of hogs, you're going to have problems. Hogs are very aggressive. They run deer off and they can be dangerous if wounded or cornered."

Holyoak said he had to climb into a deer stand a few years back to escape a raging hog that circled around for six hours, foaming at the mouth and snapping at branches.

"They say bears get mad when you mess with their babies," Holyoak said. "Hogs don't need a reason to get mad and come after you."

#2 longbeard Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

longbeard

Kel Tec Owner

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

River Oak Plantation is well known around here for BIG Boars! ok>

Here's a link to their site,and a picture of that hog.

http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/hog-hunt/

Attached Thumbnails

• KensFishFarm_Boar_resized.jpg

#3 Admin Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the picture, I was wondering what the hog looked like.

Mmmmmm Bacon for a year!

#4 SBHShooter Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:02 PM

Problem with only having a picture like that is that photoshopping images is becoming so commonplace. All that matters really is, he knows the real story, so he doesn't need anybody to believe him.

#5 Thed Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

Thed

RKI#2

• Members
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:43 PM

Hogzilla :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#6 Apache Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

Apache

Never Forget

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

Talk about yer exaggerations...Only half the the guy's body is visiable in that pic. A 7 footer maybe, NOT 12...

We sure don't have ANYTHING that big out this way...just Javalina, and those are NASTY. BLEH

#7 Yahoshua Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

Yahoshua

Blued Steel

• Members
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:48 AM

I dunno about him burying the hog and not mounting the head cuz it was too big!!?? I think the story is bogus unless he exhumes the corpse and proves it.

#8 Wraith Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

Wraith

Subguns.com member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:10 AM

Just think how many football they could have made out of that bad boy!

#9 eugene13087 Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

eugene13087

Sten Guns Rule

• Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:50 AM

That's an official AP photo, I saw it on Yahoo.
This was the caption
"Chris Griffin, 31, poses beside the half-ton wild hog he shot near Alapaha, Ga., on Thursday, June 17, 2004. No one keeps official records on hog kills, but Georgia game officials say it is the largest they have ever heard of. Wild hogs, also known as feral hogs, live off the land, damaging crops and wildlife habitat. (AP Photo/River Oak Plantation)"

#10 Guest_yonderway_* Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

Guest_yonderway_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:02 AM

If this had been found in North Carolina instead of Georgia, there would be a pig pickin of unprecedented proportions followed by a sudden shortage of vinegar.

#11 longbeard Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

longbeard

Kel Tec Owner

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:49 AM

Talk about yer exaggerations...Only half the the guy's body is visiable in that pic. A 7 footer maybe, NOT 12...
We sure don't have ANYTHING that big out this way...just Javalina, and those are NASTY. BLEH

View Post

As I said,R.O.P. is WELL known for BIG boars!

I have a friend who leases one of our smaller barrier islands,he manages it for big hogs,nothing else. It's nothing to see a 600-800 lb hog there. He's caught quite a few that size live. Which is his prefered method.

And comparing a Javalina to one of our "Piny wood rooters" as the old timers call them...is like comparing a .22 rimfire to a .50 BMG.

If your into "canned hunts"...there are a lot of places around here kill a "hogzilla"...if you wanna spend that kind of money. I'd rather do it the old fashioned way... ok>

#12 hampy_251 Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

hampy_251

Ted Kennedy killed more people with his car than I have with my handgun.

• Veteran Member
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:10 AM

I've got a friend on a ranch in Texas and he's told me the same thing. He's seen hogs killed at around 800 lbs.

Besides, they have people who can tell if a photo has been doctored or not.

#13 longbeard Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

longbeard

Kel Tec Owner

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:01 PM

I dig your avatar hampy! Johnny was the man! ok>

#14 hampy_251 Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

hampy_251

Ted Kennedy killed more people with his car than I have with my handgun.

• Veteran Member
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:57 PM

Thanks. I always thought it was a great picture.

#15 H&K G36 XD Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

H&K G36 XD

Apache

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:44 AM

Holy s***, that thing is huge. What'd they shoot it with? M-16? 155mm howitzer? There's no way a normal hunting rifle or shotgun would kill that before the hunter got stuck with those bayonets of tusks. Can anyone find out wut he shot the pig with???

#16 Guest_yonderway_* Re: 1,000 Wild Hog Killed in Georgia

Guest_yonderway_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:28 AM

An M16 would be the last rifle I'd want to have when facing a 1,000 pound hog.