Sign in to follow this  
winston

shorting m-16 upper

what should all be keep in mind when shorting a 20 in barrel down to a 14 1/2

Are you planning on registering it as an SBR, or permanently attaching a muzzle device to make the 16" minimum?

Gotcha, didn't know you were going the machinegun route.  Were you going for an M4 setup?  If not, I'd opt for something shorter than the 14.5".  If you're putting it on a registered machinegun you might as well do everything you can to it!  Have fun!!!

I should have gave more info the frist time, I have read about a lot of proplems with guns having less then a 14 1/2 inch barrle. What I am going to do is take an old SP-1 upper and cut it down. this way I dont have to use off set pins. It will also give me matching colors, being that I have a old SP-1 in the gray. I cant go wrong i bought the upper and barrle for 75.00. Do you have any idea what the gas hole size has to be?                      Thank for any help

I'm afraid that's a bit beyond me.  Have you tried asking over on AR15.com?  You could probably also give Bushmaster a call as they have numerous barrels including 14.5" and 10" barrels.