Sign in to follow this  
L'man

Post Ban Muzzle Brakes?

Hi,

Are these legal? Do they work or are they just for looks? Do they affect accuracy? Anyone have some pics? Thanks,

L'man B{

I think you've answered your own question. The term post ban usually means that's it has been made after the ban to the new regulations. So chances are they're legal, if you're getting it from reputable dealer. Now as far as what the differences are between the post-ban and pre-ban muzzlebrakes, I couldn't tell you. I'm not to sure of the regs, since they read like a Harvard disseratation. Thed could probably tell you better than I could.

To be compliant with 922r laws in regards to the manufacture of post ban military style semi-autos, a bare threaded muzzle is not legal because it can readily accept a Flash Supressor which is and evil feature according to the BATF.

A muzzle brake is different. The flash is not reduced, and all it does is redirect the pressure escaping the muzzle in specific directions. These must be either pined or welded to a threaded barrel it be BATF compliant.

Another option is to have the threads ground off, or to have the threaded section cut off and the barrel recrowned.

As to which particular muzzle attachments are legal and which are not? Usually vendors will state "BATF Approved" when selling the item.

Hope this helps,

-Thed

I have an AK 74 style muzzlebrake on my AR and yes it make a difference. I am glad I spent the $25 on it when I orderd it, big difference in muzzle climb and recoil, my rifle does make a weird twang now but works great.

Is your gun with the ak74 brake 20" or 16"? I just had a chance to fire a 16" one recently and I really didn't notice a difference at all in recoil reduction. The AR's just don't make enough recoil for it to matter. What I did notice though is that it makes it twice as loud for the shooter, and amplifies the blast signature especially in higher elevations. I'd say just stick with flat cut or crowned muzzles with no attachments, they really don't do much of anything.

P.S. you sure that twang isn't just the buffer assembly sliding past your cheeck in the buttstock?

:fir: It has been my experience with the 223 that there is not enough recoil to justify the increase in report caused by a muzzle brake. :FT: -Captain Eddie