Sign in to follow this  
kc5mur

Building My Own

F} I have been looking at buying and AR15 for roughly 10 years. After finding out what the USAF (am active duty) pays for them there is no way in hell i'm paying 1200 dollars for the gun. Just curious if it's cost effective to build it piece by piece. And yes , I realize the AR-15 isn't exactly the M-16, but close enough. F}

You can build your own Generic AR-15, CAR-15, or M-4 for under $600.

Its easy, and takes minimal tools. You can buy and already headspaced barrel and bolt (Upper) as part of the kit.

Model"1"Sales

M&A Parts Inc.

I have used Model 1 Sales kits with great success. I have heard that M&A is also good. Some people pay big bucks for "name brand" AR's, but I dont see why. These are excellent.

You can buy the Lower reciever at a Gun Show for $80-150. This is the part that will require jumping through the Brady Hoops. I would also check out the BATF website and review the "rules" before building.

Hope this helps,

-Thed

Thed,

Seeing as how you gave great advice to kc5mur, would you also know where I could find the parts to build my own M14? Sorry if this is asking a lot, thanks in advance.

-Nate

An M-14 is alot more difficult to build than an AR15. I have considered building one, but when the receivers cost $3-400 and the parts kits in VG shape are around $600 I figured it would be better to buy an M1a from Springfield. SARCOinc.com had parts awhile ago.

You may have a better source for parts and a reciever, but when I started to do the Math for building, I came to the conclusion it would be better to buy one made.

Best of luck,

-Thed

Hmmm..thanks for all your help.

Now that I see building my own would be hard and expensive, the M1A from Springfield Armory is looking quite nice N/

Thanks again,

-Nate