Sign in to follow this  
Admin

M4 / An/peq-2 (10 Meter Boresight)

Admin    40

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">M4 / AN/PEQ-2 </span>

(10 meter Boresight)

WARNING: LASER RADIATION - To reduce the risk of injury AVOID DIRECT EXPOSURE TO THE BEAM - Use Ballistic Laser Eye Protection (BLEPS) when handling or operating. (See PEQ Safety Briefing)

ACTION: Boresight the AN/PEQ-2 to the top front of the M4 carbine for long range shooting.

CONDITIONS: Given an M4 Carbine, AN/PEQ-2, 10M Boresight target, Boresight laser, and steady platform.

STANDARD: Boresight the AN/PEQ-2 at 10M to achieve a point of aim, point of impact within 4" at distances of 100-300 meters.

PROCEDURE: Ensure the weapon is locked down in a secure device to eliminate movement of the laser and sight. Zero or calibrate the boresight laser. Using a 10M Boresight target, place the boresight laser dot on the solid black dot of the target, then using the directional arrows on the AN/PEQ-2 adjustment rings, make the necessary adjustments to move the AN/PEQ-2 laser on to the crosshair of the boresight target. Assistants should consist of 1 Soldier at the weapon with NODS to adjust the AN/PEQ-2 and 1 Soldier at the target with NODS to give sight corrections. Refer to attached target.

MOUNTING: The standard to mount the AN/PEQ-2 to the M4 is on top of the top handguard on the A frame. In this configuration the AN/PEQ-2 is protected by the front sight when moving through vegetation and the laser is less likely to be deflected by grass when in the prone.

FEEDBACK: Best results during night marksmanship are achieved with AN/PEQ-2. The best combination is the AN/PVS 7D or AN/PVS 14 with 3x magnifier if available. The target illuminator can be used to assist in acquiring targets at longer distances. To avoid whiteout or splash when boresighting at 10M, select the lowest intensity and remove a hole approximately 2 cm. in diameter around the crosshair. This will allow the majority of the AN/PEQ-2 laser to pass through the target without creating splash.

NOTE: THE STANDARD IS TO DEVELOP CONFIDENCE IN BORESIGHTING BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT WE WILL BE DOING IN COMBAT.

Admin    40

What is the AN/PEQ-2 ?

The AN/PEQ-2 is an Infrared Pointer, Illuminator, and Aiming Laser. It is also an Infantry Weapon Night Targeting Device.

The PEQ-2A is a weapons aiming light, target pointer, and illuminator. It emits separate aiming and illuminating beams, with the capability of centering the aiming beam within the illumination area. It is designed primarily to provide infantry leaders an IR searchlight with an integral aimpoint for accurate night firing. Secondary uses include searching for, and pointing out targets for fire commands.

Illuminator beam can be used as IR flashlight, especially useful in MOUT. Controls allow aiming beam on or off, power high or low. Can be used in hand-held mode. 1300-meter range exceeds maximum ranges of current NVGs.

AN-PEQ-2_big01_sh.jpg

AN/PEQ-2 Features:

• Separate Aiming and Illuminator

laser beams. Both adjustable for

azimuth and elevation

• Aim spot can be centered in

illumination area

• Illumination beam able to focus

from a pinpoint spot to wide angle

flood

• Pointer range exceeds 10 miles

• Various diffusers available for

customized light shaping

• Waterproof to 66 feet

• Clandestine to visual eye - 830

manometer wavelength

• AA battery operation

AN / PEQ-2 Compatible Weapons

STANDARD

• For all weapons equipped with a MIL-STD-1913

mounting rail: rail grabber bracket

OPTIONAL

• M16A1 & A2: M16 bracket

• M16/M203: M16 bracket

• M4: M4 bracket

• RIS: RIS bracket

• M249: M249 bracket

• M60/M2: Bracket adaptor

• AT4: Bracket adaptor

• Others: On request

Characteristics:

Weight: 7.5 oz

Wavelength: 830 nm

Laser Class: 3b

Power output, aiming beam: 25 mW

Power output, illuminator: 30 mW

Range: 1300 m

Battery: (2) AA

Battery Life: > 100 hours

Jack_Bauer    0

When zeroing the unit could it be done after your optic in this case a Aimpoint Comp M3 is zeroed to say 50 meters then just adjust the unit laser to the zeroed 50 meter target so the optic red dot and laser match?

JSheaHawk    29

STANDARD: Boresight the AN/PEQ-2 at 10M to achieve a point of aim, point of impact within 4" at distances of 100-300 meters.

This procedure is for ten meters. I've never performed it, but I'd say get your zero at ten meters and then dial it in at 50.

Jared

ChemSoldier    33

Step one: Get a PEQ-2. Problematic, the company will not sell IR lasers to civilians. I dont know if there is any legislation on it, but they dont sell to civvies and that is an item that if you findit online there is a very real possibility it is stolen military equipment

ChemSoldier    33

I stand corrected.

OK, allow me to rephrase. The AN/PEQ-2 is not sold on the civilian market. Most systems have their own proprietary method of adjustment, making the military's item specific instructions less useful.

macshooter    7

Actually I thought the same from what I had seen on places like TNVC who don't sell a lot of stuff to anyone but LEOs, Then I found that IR laser on Kalinka, and a friend showed me the lasermax which I had no idea about till about 2 weeks ago. Just passing it on.