• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BrowningBDA

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:33 PM

I was at the gun store today... and picked up a nifty looking box of ammo.... very nicely packaged in a reuseable & resealable plastic box. .38 special, 158 grain ammo.... but in a grey plastic cartridge case.

I wanted to do some reading about them... but this is all I could find. It turns out they are a small company in Louisiana... 100% minority owned & operated.

I thought this was neat... and figured I'd pass the word. Anyone have an shooting experience with this ammo?

Posted Image

Curt Wilson, director of Polytech, left, and President Sy Wylie conduct ballistic testing on a new polymer cartridge they designed. The two hope to have the assembly plant up and running by September

U.S. Congressman Jim McCrery announced Thursday that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has approved a conditional commitment for a guaranteed loan of $1.6 million for a Minden company.

The $1.6 million guarantee was granted to Polytech Ammunition Company, and the funds will be used to finance the start up of an ammunition assembly plant. The company will produce a cartridge cases designed with a polymer body. This project has the potential to create many additional jobs for the area.

"I am pleased that the Department of Agriculture has guaranteed this loan," McCrery said. "This money will allow the Polytech Ammunition Company to expand its operations and bring new jobs to Minden and Webster Parish."

The company should create around 40 to 50 new jobs, which should all be filled by December according to Sy Wylie, president of the company.

"We received around 2,000 job applications from LA Works since we first announced the beginning of this project," Wylie said. "We will choose the most experienced from these applications."
Wylie said they plan to hire some of the workers who were once employed at the Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant.

The plant which, will be 100 percent minority owned, will have access to 31,000 square feet of buildings and 30 acres of property located on area K at the LAAP.

In 1999, the federal government closed 10 army ammunition plants with caretaker only status.

Wylie and partner/long time friend Curt Wilson said they first saw the site advertised on the Internet.
"This site was considered one of the most excesses military sites in the USA," Wylie said.
Wylie said he and other investors contacted the agencies ARMS and the USDA, which according to Wylie does not provide funding for research and development, only production.

"When we were far enough into production we contacted the USDA," Wilson said.

Wilson said Polytech is not the first company to attempt to manufacture a cartridge case designed with a polymer body.

"It sometimes takes a while to get the conditions just right for development," Wilson said. "We are very excited about having the opportunity to help create jobs."

Wylie said they should be ready for production in August or September.

Polytech plans to have a grand opening and ribbon cutting with the Minden/South Webster Chamber of Commerce, a group Wylie said has also been instrumental in helping get the business off to a good start.

"We anticipate these job opportunities will be a positive addition to Minden," Wylie said.

#2 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

Secretly Wishes to be Moderator

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:35 PM

i've seen this in .223 before and REALLY wanna try it seems cheap and looks good.if ya pick some up post up how ya like it i'm thinking about a box or two to try out.if i do i'll post it.

#3 BrowningBDA Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:01 AM

I did pick up one box of .38's.... and I saw their .223 stuff too... looks like high quality stuff... a hell sight nicer looking than some surplus i've seen! :lol:

It's like Blazer ammo.. in that you can reload... but hell.... if it shoots good... is accurate... and is cost effective... then I will buy it!! I support the small companies... the mom & pop places... because me & wife own one too.... we know how it feels.

they went to alot of trouble to package it nicely... and the ammo itself is very cool looking... light weight too.

I'll report back as soon as I can shoot some!! ok>

#4 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:14 AM

yeah let me know. i didn't see any in .38 just the .223 but it looked great i woulda bought a box or two but i was already at 1300 and starting to get "THE LOOK" so i figured i would stop there but it was about $0.75 more than the winchester stuff and just looked pretty cool :D .

i have a S&W model 10 in .38 that has never been fired i'm thinking about breaking it's cherry and putting a box or two thru it and loads you recommend.

#5 Larry Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

Larry

My Honor Student Can Beat Up France

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:33 AM

Around 10 or 15 years ago Speer made plastic cased ammo. If I recall correctly, the cartridge rim was brass or aluminum. They worked OK and were very cheep!

-Larry

#6 BrowningBDA Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:49 AM

cool Larry! These have an all polymer case.... just a metal primer & bullet. BUT... the .223 stuff has a small, brass case butt... with metal rim (for extraction I am assuming)... with the majority of the top of the case being polymer.

Larry... how did the speer stuff shoot? any problems? ok>

M_

You can't go wrong with aguilla, fiocchi, Winchester white box, ect.... my only advice... from one friend to another... is to not shoot lead in that cherry gun. Is just too much of a pain to clean.... and you'll never get that lead of the frame above the barrel & forcing cone without a set of dental picks & a hour to kill!

fiocchi tends to be a dirty round... alot of black carbon... but accurate enough. The aguilla was super accurate for me. UMC is good to... but again, dirty... alot of unburned powder & carbon. ok>

#7 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:57 AM

well i had about 600 rounds in a lead semi wadcutter i gave away cause i was bothered by shooting someone elses reloads glad i did now. thanks for the heads up.to be honest i'm kinda talking myself out of shooting this thing i had a guy at the office i used to work at offer me 400 bucks on the spot for it and he trades and sells and buys guns as a side thing so i figure it's worth some bucks so i am really thinking i will actually have a safe queen :lol: i just have a hard time bringing myself to deflowering this pistol i may snap a pic of it and post it one of these days.

#8 BrowningBDA Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:39 AM

well i had about 600 rounds in a lead semi wadcutter i gave away cause i was bothered by shooting someone elses reloads glad i did now. thanks for the heads up.to be honest i'm kinda talking myself out of shooting this thing i had a guy at the office i used to work at offer me 400 bucks on the spot for it and he trades and sells and buys guns as a side thing so i figure it's worth some bucks so i am really thinking i will actually have a safe queen :lol:  i just have a hard time bringing myself to deflowering this pistol i may snap a pic of it and post it one of these days.

Cool... throw it on your scanner bed!

#9 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:46 AM

well here is a pic. B{

#10 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:49 AM

here is the other side.

it looks blue in the pics but it's polished nickled blue or something somebody explained it to me once but i wasn't listening like an idiot.basically it's polished before it's blued it looks like a deep blue in the pic but in the daylight it's a really nice grey/blue/black almost like smoked chrome(if you've ever owned a harley you know the color :D )

Edited by m_zwerlein, 22 February 2004 - 01:49 AM.

#11 BrowningBDA Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 02:13 AM

What a beauty!! Nice gun... I always liked S&W's deep bluing.... I know what youmean by the finish... like black chrome!

is it a 10-6? You got the original box & such?

I dunno... you can find used model 10's to shoot.... but S&W made so damned many of them... for so long... that you'll wait a long while for it to get ovr $500-$600 in collectors value. But if you want to wait... it'll be a treasured collectible!

#12 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 02:17 AM

no i don't have the box this was my fathers gun he passed away recently and i got it.it's been in a case for years.i "cleaned" it up basically knocked the dust off it wiped it down again oiled it up a bit the extractor was sticking and put it back in a case i get it to look at it and think about shooting it but something in my head always says naaa just put it away and keep it like it is.and yes it's a model 10-6 i want this color on a few more pistols it's the neatest color i have ever seen.it's so hard to describe unless you've seen it but man in the daylight it is absolutley beautiful.

#13 BrowningBDA Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:30 AM

Yeah..... because it was your dad's.. that sorta changes things a bit.

I would do whatever makes YOU happy. If that means treasuring it without shooting it... then thats what you should do!

Yeah.... S&W got rid of their bluing tanks... I think it a performance center "option" now.

I had a old model 27 with that same type of finish.. the polish was so bright it was like looking at a smoked mirror. beautiful!

#14 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:17 AM

Yeah..... because it was your dad's.. that sorta changes things a bit.

I would do whatever makes YOU happy. If that means treasuring it without shooting it... then thats what you should do!

Yeah.... S&W got rid of their bluing tanks... I think it a performance center "option" now.

I had a old model 27 with that same type of finish.. the polish was so bright it was like looking at a smoked mirror. beautiful!

yeah it was dads.but that didn't stop me from shooting my winchester model 101 12gauge over and under that was never fired and i had the box B{ .mom promptly threw the box away F_ .but that is also one of the four guns i have that will never be sold no matter what the sitution.a smoked mirror is a perfect explanation on the finish of the pistol.see now i wanna go shooting today talking about all this.guess it's time to go downstairs and see what ammo i have in stock and go blast a few. U>

two new guns i haven't played with. U> :c)l:
i think i'm gonna check out how this new ak runs and see if it goes on the trade block or stays in the collection.

#15 BrowningBDA Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:03 PM

cool... give us a range report when you're done!!! Also... if you can... get some hot bikini babe's to hold the AK after you get done shooting it.... and your targets as well.... so we can see how you did. For educational purposes only!!! J>

#16 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:32 PM

well as long as it's for educational purposes only. :lol:

#17 bigrob89 Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

bigrob89

Look at me! Attention Whore!

• Veteran Member
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:52 PM

i like the gun m and like the mom and pop places too you can feel better shopping there. no pressure.

#18 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:59 PM

well i didn't get to go shooting today. :<rt:

so i just went ahead and ordered

1: 4x12x50 target turrets,and butler creek scope covers and rings for the SL-8
2: harris SL-M bipod for the SL-8
3: 1000 rounds of .223
4: 500 rounds 7.62x39
5: 1000 rounds nine millimeter
6: 1000 rounds 40 S&W
7: qd swivels and a sling for the SL-8
8: surefire foregrips with light and pressure switch for Dave(my first AR)
got to take that piece home i may snap a pic and post it
9: 100 rounds of polytech ammo in .223

should all be in tuesday or wednesday so maybe next weekend the weather will cooperate with me and i'll be able to sight in the SL-8 and shoot the wasr and see if i got the bugs worked out of the oly

#19 BrowningBDA Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:49 AM

wow!

Umm..... I bought a new bore brush... its metal too!!

J>

Serioulsy... thats sounds like a nice order! Who did you go through?

#20 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:53 AM

Nassau,a local sporting goods place here(read that as a BAD ass gun shop)i went in there on a whim the other day. well i had received my tax check(bad place for me to be with money in the bank) well they had four guns i just had to have a colt AR pre-ban in .9mm but somebody had a downpayment on it so i couldn't get it a S&W .500 but that was sold already waiting on paperwork to come back a desert eagle but again had a down payment on it so i was screwed.well the fourth gun was an HK SL-8 sitting there and i could hear it calling me i went to the pistol section and i could still hear it calling me so i bought it.well i got it home and low and behold there was no sling or take down tool just the gun and a magazine so i called them they said ok we will take care of it. i have gone up there and carl felt bad that HK is dragging their feet on getting the parts so i figured what the hell it will be here sooner or later so i needed a few more things well i put a few things on the counter asked a couple questions and managed to order all this stuff so he cut me a FAT discount on it all like 20% so it's all good. i can't wait to get the scope and bi-pod so i can site it in and check out this polymer cased stuff it looks great and is pretty cheap so i really wanna see how it does.

#21 BrowningBDA Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:47 PM

wow... that place sounds like Al Bundy's nudie bar or something... like guys heaven!! D>

#22 m_zwerlein Re: Polytech Ammunition... Plastic Cased Ammo!

m_zwerlein

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:53 PM

well it's been like two weeks trying to get the take down tool from HK so he thinks i'm getting pissed i guess i really don't care seeing as a i have a tool box full of metric allen wrenches but he keeps saying over and over ever time i go in i just wanna make sure your happy and well ya spent a shitload of money and then spent some more so here's a break i figure 20 30 bucks off but it was closer to a hundred bucks off so i ain't complaining even a little.
one guy he has working there knows his sh*t backwards and forwards BUT he's not exactly the friendleist gentlemen i have ever met.but i'm so glad i went in here.now if they had biggun's magazine i think i would move in. :lol: